Vinyl Collectors Club (no but really, let's talk vinyl)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Vinyl Collectors Club (no but really, let's talk vinyl)

Postby shikawkee » Fri May 17, 2019 11:45 am

Hopefully this works. My rigs and collection all over the place:

[url][url=https://postimg.cc/TyFZtZdG]Image[/url]

Image[/url]
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun May 19, 2019 12:44 pm

I've got to get my stuff reorganized and out of boxes and hiding places. I built a shelf at the end of the hall with three ~36" x 12.5" x ~14" shelves plus a cabinet a while back. I haven't put the doors on the cabinet though but it's wide enough for my 7" case.

Good pictures, I wish I was that orderly haha.

I was reading a vinyl collector website today and they had an article asking like CEOs and producers three basic questions:
What was your first vinyl you bought?
Last record you bought?
Most listened to record?

First record: I traded some random CD for a Peter and the Test Tube Babies "Supermodels" 7" that I have probably only listened to once. Then, shortly thereafter my friend and I went to the Grand opening of this short-lived hip hop/DJ store and I pitched in for a Del tha Funkee Homosapien 12" single with like the vocals and music separated for remixing and stuff. I think we thought it was an album? First real buy was Punk and Disorderly probably. I still have the Punk and Disorderly and Peter and the Test Tube Babies.

Last Record: Skitklass/Crimex split, Guitar Wolf Love&Jett, Mottek Riot, Nots 3, and Life Violence, Peace and Peace Research all ordered at the same time-ish (the nots was a pre-order). Right before that, I got neonblack's Ration Card LP.

Most Listened to Vinyl Records: Toss up between the Madness single collection, Kraftwerk The Man Machine, and Subhumans Worlds Apart.

It's kind of cheesy, but it keeps the vinyl talk goin'

Going to add one more though: Most coveted record you don't have?

Probably GISM M.A.N. (any non-bootleg GISM release actually) or Nervous Gender Music from Hell.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby voerking » Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 am

lordgalvar wrote:Most coveted record you have?

i cut out the "don't", because there's not really anything i'm dying to have these days.
my copy of this is probably the most valuable and most loved record i own:
https://www.discogs.com/Julius-Hemphill ... se/2515882
i bought my copy from a local store around 20 years ago for $42, which, at the time, was the most i'd ever spent for a record. now, (at least according to discogs sellers) it's worth more than 10X that.
it's a killer record, though, and it was recorded and self-released in my home town. i wouldn't sell it unless i was absolutely destitute.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby shikawkee » Mon May 20, 2019 9:34 am

voerking wrote:

i cut out the "don't", because there's not really anything i'm dying to have these days.
i bought my copy from a local store around 20 years ago for $42, which, at the time, was the most i'd ever spent for a record. now, (at least according to discogs sellers) it's worth more than 10X that.
it's a killer record, though, and it was recorded and self-released in my home town. i wouldn't sell it unless i was absolutely destitute.

Ah yes, I have that Hemphill record too. Took me quite a while to find one.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby aedes » Mon May 20, 2019 10:27 am

lordgalvar wrote:What was your first vinyl you bought?
Last record you bought?
Most listened to record?

Going to add one more though: Most coveted record you don't have?

Hmmmmmm

1. Pretty sure first one was the "Story of Star Wars" https://www.discogs.com/Original-Cast-With-Naration-By-Roscoe-Lee-Browne-The-Story-Of-Star-Wars/release/717031
Closely followed by Boston (first one)

2. Last record was probably a gift for my son Ween "The Mollusk."

3. Most listened to is a toss up between King Crimson "Discipline" and Rites of Spring

Most coveted? Hmmmmm that's a thinker.
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon May 20, 2019 10:53 am

1-Last record you bought?
2-Most listened to record?
3-Most coveted record you [don't] have

1 - I think it was Ty Segall Deforming Lobes live record

2 - Probably Sleep's Holy Mountain or Daft Punk's Discovery

3 - it's not really rare, just expensive and 3xLP, but i would *love* to get All Things Must Pass
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby shikawkee » Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 am

1. Last Record bought-Hal Rugg-Altered Ego

2.Most listened-Hmmm....probably the early Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton, Derek Bailey or Terje Rypdal (I have more of their stuff than any other artist).

3. Most coveted I don't have...hmmm...that's a tough one because I spent a lot of time (and cash) grabbing what I wanted. I guess if there is a vinyl version of Andrew Hill's Passing Ships (never seen one) that would be it. Finally grabbed the Bill Dixon Orchestra "Intents and Purposes" and Black Artist Group LP's so that covered that. Oh and finally got "Blues for Smoke" by Jackie Byard too. That was a tough one.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby voerking » Mon May 20, 2019 12:03 pm

shikawkee wrote:
voerking wrote:

Ah yes, I have that Hemphill record too. Took me quite a while to find one.

i've given away several copies of the Arista/Freedom version to friends.
i used to run across copies for just a few bucks & i'd buy it any time i did & just hand it off to someone i thought would dig it.
i haven't seen one in a store in a long time.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Tue May 21, 2019 4:02 am

1 - First record I bought?
Seventeen Seconds by The Cure

2 - Last record you bought?
The Rotter’s Club by Haftfield and the North and Third by Soft Machine, both bought at a record fair a few months back

3 - Most listened to record?
Low by David Bowie or Maggot Brain by Funkadelic

4 - Most coveted record you [don’t] have?
honestly i don’t really know what’s the most coveted of our collection, i think one of the Zeppelin or the Who early pressings that my girlfriend has. I’ve been wanting Mark Hollis solo LP since ages but it’s way out of my budget, so that’s probably the most coveted one that i don’t have
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Fri May 24, 2019 4:52 pm

Dowi wrote:1 - First record I bought?

This could have been me! However I didn't buy it, a friend gave it to me, and somewhere in the years of moving around it got lost. So the only record by them I own is Boys Don't Cry. Since I have all the others I really like on CD, I don't want to buy them again. But, here's my list.

1 - Joy Division - Closer

2 - Malady - ST (repress)

3 - Beau Navire - Lumens (I think. Hard to say since I don't usually like listening to any one record too much)

4 - Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You (one of my absolute favorite records but only have it on CD)
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Sun May 26, 2019 4:40 pm

frodog wrote:
Dowi wrote:1 - First record I bought?

This could have been me! However I didn't buy it, a friend gave it to me, and somewhere in the years of moving around it got lost. So the only record by them I own is Boys Don't Cry. Since I have all the others I really like on CD, I don't want to buy them again. But, here's my list.

Started with that one because it's my favorite, even if i already had it on cd ;)

frodog wrote:1 - Joy Division - Closer

:thumb:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Randomly went to Goodwill today and scored The Ray Charles Story, Beats: The Merseyside Sound, and Three Dog Night "Golden Bisquits," for $2 out the door :snax:

...weird mix, I know...
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby voerking » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm

here are my record shelves. i have some more 12"s in boxes in my basement along with two big rubbermaid tubs full of 7" singles...
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:17 pm

I recently decided to stop buying digital albums and finally get a premium subscription to Spotify, but I still want to support the bands that I really like, so I've decided to start collecting vinyl again. I used to collect vinyl through high school and University and was given a few boxes by my dad and one of his friends. Anyways, today I went through all the vinyl I own and put together a spreadsheet to catalog it all (which I had never done before). Turns out I have 205 records. Honestly, a good number of them really aren't very good (so much questionable 80s music) and 23 are duplicates/triplicates/quadruplicates (why the hell do I have 4 copies of Bob Seger's Stranger In Town?). But, there is a good number of amazing records here that I didn't even realize I had!

Unfortunately, I don't have a working record player at the moment. Or proper speakers any more. Any suggestions for record players? Anything with bluetooth that I could play through a portable speaker rather than investing in new speakers as well?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:50 pm

I would love to start buying vinyl again. I stopped in 2013 cause I didn't want to lug the shit around anymore. I actually don't have that many. 40-50 perhaps? I would like to get everyone here's records on physical media. Or buy from shows. I wouldn't be hunting stuff down on discogs or buying vintage releases or anything. Just supporting bands currently touring and the like.

That said, Mexican Summer is reissuing all the Haunted Graffiti stuff from ARIEL PINK. I would love that. Sigh....

Olin, we've talked about this... I would love that remaster of SWANS masterpiece Soundtracks For The Blind.

I can't think of what the last one I bought is... but one of my most prized possessions are my T. REX reissues, and a reissue of the single of 'Papua New Guinea' from FUTURE SOUNDS OF LONDON.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music