Vocals and asthma medicine

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Vocals and asthma medicine

Postby goroth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:56 am

Yo asthmatics and other nerds,

I've got some medicine that is really good - Symbicort which is a combo budesonid/formoterol. But it fucks up my talking voice and also vox (to a lesser degree), even if I'm awfully careful about gargling after etc.

Has anyone experienced this? Any good solutions, or alternative medications? I mean, alternatives to the stuff I'm taking that are accepted by the medical community at large, not "chamomile and purple crystals" or jade eggs or anything.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Re: Vocals and asthma medicine

Postby goroth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 am

Also looking for tips for your favourite pocket protector.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Why did I put this in music?

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby jrmy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 am

goroth wrote:Why did I put this in music?

Because we don't have either an asthma or singing subforum?

I wish I had an actual suggestion - all of my first inclinations were classic sarcastic responses, like "counterbalance it with whiskey and cigarettes!" Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut that would probably end poorly.

Have you tried classic "singer" tricks like hot tea with honey? I mean, I don't know if they actually work for unmedicated vocal cords, but maybe it's worth a shot!
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:31 pm

I don't sing (I have inherited my father's ability to hit two or three notes and all of them flat), but asthma and it's inhaler friend definitely dry my throat out. I tend to drink anything with plenty of sugar in it (coca cola for me, but that's probably a bad thing to drink if you are about to sing). Maybe sucking boiled sugar type sweets? Would that help?
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 am

I have an issue where I'll lose my breathe too quickly if I push my voice to hard. Perhaps, you are pushing yours past it's limits too. A lot of people don't think about what their actual vocal range is versus what they want it to be. Regardless, I do still lose my breath. My only solution to this has been to be softer with my voice.

You need albuterol for your asthma most likely.

Since these drugs are a beta 2 agonist, I'd also recommend taking benadryl for a least a week every month or so to clean out those receptors. I'm actually extremely knowledgeable on this subject due to doing bodybuilding. You use a similar substance and sister to albuterol to lean out during show preps. So I taught myself a lot about how the drugs work and how you fix hang up from them.

I'd also recommend some kind of saline nose spray. That could moisturize your throat and keep your nasal passages clear, which also affects vocals.

Hope that helps?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby goroth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:09 am

I'll try the nasal spray for sure jwar.

I think it trashes my speaking voice more so than my singing voice. The singing voice doesn't sound real flash either, especially falsetto, but I can at least warm it up and get it to like 92% good. But my speaking voice just goes to shit.

It seems to come and go in phases as well - I take the medication, same dose, constantly during the allergy season - from like March to the end of September. I can go a week or two without having noticeable wear on the voice, then it'll be like two weeks of bullshit.

Benadryl is an antihistamine - I take cetrizine, which is a 2nd gen antihistamine as well.
Fuck... maybe that's the problem. I just read on the wikipedia page that dry-mouth is a sypmtom that 5% of folks on cetirizine have... maybe that's it.

Though my mouth doesn't feel dry. Just my throat feels trashed. But maybe that's the same thing.

Hmm...

:wha?:

I think next asthma season I'll just take all the drugs.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:09 am

jrmy wrote:
goroth wrote:Why did I put this in music?

Because we don't have either an asthma or singing subforum?

I'll PM Tom about the asthma subforum :thumb:

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:53 am

yea i hear u on the inhaler / dry throat thing. i've had asthma all my life and had always used inhalers everyday.
a couple years ago tho, i switched to the fluticasone nasal spray which is usually for allergies
but has the same medicine in it as the main medicine that my inhaler did (advair)
plus it was generic and so much cheaper than my inhaler was, so double bonus.

i'd say it works 80%-90% as good as my inhaler did.
only sometimes in the heavy allergy season (like springtime/early summer), i'll need to take my inhaler like twice a week or something.
but other than that, the nasal spray works just fine for me.
is much better on my throat than the inhaler was.

it was kind of a fluke how i switched but my doctor checked into it to make sure that it was okay for me to swap the two and all that.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:52 am

I will check this with my GP. Thanks Sherms!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:56 am

goroth wrote:Also looking for tips for your favourite pocket protector.

Pockets are so 2018
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 pm

If you have allergies and are taking anti histamines, that for sure could be the issue. Couple that with weed if you smoke or cigs and boom, voice fucked. LOL. I take three allergy meds all year long because I have too, no fucking choice. Especially since we just had the worst year for allergies two, going on three years in a row. Meaning, each year it's gotten worse. I can barely go outside somedays. Fucking sucks ass.

Coffee dehydrates you, soda does as well. Milk can fuck up your vocals because of mucus.

There's a lot to this unfortunately. I envy those singers that can just go at it. That's only happened to me like twice ever. lol

So I say, either say, fuck it and just go with what you got, or overhaul a few things and try and solve the issue. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Return to Music