New YOB? New YOB!? New YOB!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New YOB? New YOB!? New YOB!

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:16 pm

YOB gets better with each release.

Bummed I missed out on the preorder pressings though, I saw some pictures and they looked pretty bad ass with splatters and clear/colored versions.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Been out a few days...

How's everybody feeling?

I really dig the heavy "repetition" of "The Screen." Obviously, there is no such thing as repetition, thanks Derrida, but I like this track a lot.

I feel like, vocally, there's a nice blend of old and new YOB. There's a fair deal of the guttural screams that seemed less prevalent on "Ascend."

Good amount of atmosphere. As a whole I'm really into the record -- a bit on the long side some sometimes tough to listen to all the way through since I have a short commute, etc.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:54 am

This record feels a bit like Clearing The Path for me, where I really dig it but I struggle to remember specifics of each track after I'm done listening to it. (With the exception of the screen, which is bitchin')

For context, my favorite Yob records are (in no particular order) The Unreal Never Lived, Elaborations of Carbon, and Atma.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 pm

I listened again today and felt a much stronger connection to it. I really already loved the two advance tracks that dropped, especially The Screen, but today I really got heavy with Ablaze and Beauty in Falling Leaves. I think this record is MFing solid.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 pm

D.o.S. wrote:This record feels a bit like Clearing The Path for me, where I really dig it but I struggle to remember specifics of each track after I'm done listening to it. (With the exception of the screen, which is bitchin')

For context, my favorite Yob records are (in no particular order) The Unreal Never Lived, Elaborations of Carbon, and Atma.

I'm a late Yob bloomer so I haven't gone further back than Atma so I'll have to do some deeper diving, too.

But I get what you're saying. There's only one track under 7 minutes and the record as a whole is nearly 75 minutes long so I get the feeling of nothing being so standout as to be memorable by the time you're done listening. There's also this overwhelming nod back to The Screen because it's so driving.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:55 am

Well that and nothing on the album comes close to touching Quantum Mystic. :lol:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am

Some Yob seems a bit too hair metalish for me, but other Yob is right up my alley. Am I the only one that feels that way? I'm mostly speaking on the singing, not the instruments.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby odontophobia » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Jwar wrote:Some Yob seems a bit too hair metalish for me, but other Yob is right up my alley. Am I the only one that feels that way? I'm mostly speaking on the singing, not the instruments.

I can’t say I’ve felt those vibes.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby benjuro » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:18 pm

odontophobia wrote:
I'm a late Yob bloomer so I haven't gone further back than Atma so I'll have to do some deeper diving, too.

I'd keep going backwards through the catalog, some truly great stuff came earlier.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 am

odontophobia wrote:
Jwar wrote:Some Yob seems a bit too hair metalish for me, but other Yob is right up my alley. Am I the only one that feels that way? I'm mostly speaking on the singing, not the instruments.

Maybe it's just me then. :idk:
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 am

I cannot stop listening to the new album or the old stuff. FUCK. I think it just took some time to grow on me. Yob is like ruling my brain for the last month.

I've listened to Our Raw Heart probably 25 times, maybe 30 or more. I cannot get how fucking great it is out of my head. It's the most inspirational band I've come across in probably a decade. That's saying a LOT too.

Blown away, just blown away.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby goroth » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:37 am

I'm not jiving with it. Liked to loved most of their previous stuff.

:idk:
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby gnomethrone » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:10 am

Jwar wrote:
odontophobia wrote:

Maybe it's just me then. :idk:

Mike Scheidt has another band where he sounds kinda Udo Dirkschneider-esque. I luv it.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 pm

goroth wrote:I'm not jiving with it. Liked to loved most of their previous stuff.

:idk:

Keep listening. Took me like 5 full listens and now I cannot stop thinking about it. That's genius music if you ask me. The first reaction "what the fuck is this shit"? Last reaction "OMG I LOVE IT".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:34 am

They're touring the US right now maybe they're coming near KC?

Also don't sleep on Middian, which was a band featuring Mike and sometime ILFer Will Lindsay that existed briefly during the Yob hiatus of the middle 00's:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WGkaHkZ_Jgo
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music