Your Most Overrated Bands

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Your Most Overrated Bands

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Jwar wrote:I'm sorry but Dio fucking sucks ass. His vocals make me want to put a hat pin in my ear drum. Ozzy was the only thing that made Sabbath good. Once he left, they went to shit and Ozzy's solo career boomed for many many years.

You know who's overrated? Fucking Phish man. God, who likes that band anyway? Some old wanker living in the UK? Some OLD, grumpy wanker.

:)

I agree with you on Dio, but the other 3 guys are what made the first 6 Sabbath albums solid gold, not Ozzy.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:09 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:
Jwar wrote:I'm sorry but Dio fucking sucks ass. His vocals make me want to put a hat pin in my ear drum. Ozzy was the only thing that made Sabbath good. Once he left, they went to shit and Ozzy's solo career boomed for many many years.

You know who's overrated? Fucking Phish man. God, who likes that band anyway? Some old wanker living in the UK? Some OLD, grumpy wanker.

I agree with you on Dio, but the other 3 guys are what made the first 6 Sabbath albums solid gold, not Ozzy.

Is that why nobody cared about them until Ozzy did a reunion tour?

Iommi and Ozzy. I'll add to my original thought. The rest were interchangeable. Let's be honest here.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:46 am

I disagree! I don't really love Ozzy's singing but it fits with the band so it's cool in those 6 sabbath records. The other three are great musicians that play really well together to make a unique sound. I don't care about ticket sales to their modern tours, this is a personal opinions thread. :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:32 am

Jwar wrote:

Hey now. Phish are fantastic.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ummohyeah » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:28 am

Blackened Soul wrote:Frank Sinatra

frank sinatra is pure shit. who the hell listens to music like that anyways.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:29 am

aw, c'mon...i actually kind of like Dio, though some of that may well be because he seems so delightfully likeable in the interview clips i've seen.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Jwar » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:30 pm

ummohyeah wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:Frank Sinatra

frank sinatra is pure shit. who the hell listens to music like that anyways.

This a will full back.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:34 pm

I think the latest deadcast had some riffing on how weird it is to find people that have Rat Pack fetishes.

The family guy dude has an album of Sinatra-y Christmas songs. It was a topic of discussion.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 pm

i never really cared for Sinatra. there's something archetypical about his unreconstructed cocky, macho 1950's attitude and enormous ego that i find utterly repellent though i acknowledge his talent as a singer.

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby More_Divebombs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Anthrax.

They remain relevant by constantly being name dropped as part of the big four, despite being miles off the pace of the other 3 at their peak. They were always bang-average. Really ordinary. The humour they attempted to put into their songs was horrendous as well. Lyrically one of the worst bands, possibly ever. The Blink 182 of thrash.

Anthrax should be relegated and Voivod promoted. Anyone who thinks Anthrax are better than Voivod is a shyster who shouldn't be trusted.
Stupid (mostly electronic) music - https://wulfexe.bandcamp.com
More_Divebombs

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:42 pm

^he's right, you know.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:06 pm

I dove deep into the genesis of psychedelia & hard rock in the 60s, like reading books about it and seeking out rare documentaries. I still don't understand why Janis Joplin is considered a genius. Is it because she was just the first lady completely appropriating the blues?
I absolutely can't stand her music or voice. Given her early history, I can accept why she chose to be a performer, but I still think she's just massively overrated.
Perhaps it's the "had to have been there" effect.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby WORMDIRT » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:44 pm

More_Divebombs wrote:Anthrax.
The Blink 182 of thrash

Jesus, this is scary accurate
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby repoman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Wilco
Nels Cline

F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:21 am

Janis Joplin really was a product of her time, or one of the definers of her little scene which wound up breaking worldwide. when she became popular she was pretty much unprecedented: a young white girl apparently determined to be not only bluesy but fabulous. her over-the-top wailing blew the minds of the acidheads of the Haight, and her sense of style--which was more or less as important as her singing--became legendary. she played up to the role, but her front concealed a deeply broken person. she had an awful time of it growing up in Port Arthur, Texas (an ugly little oil town), and was widely despised for her beatnik ways; in college she was voted Ugliest Man on Campus. she noped the hell out of there and went to SF in '65, and wound up literally being packed onto a bus by her friends and sent home to Texas because she was so strung out on speed. she went home and tried to be a good girl, but Chet Helms (Big Brother and the Holding Company's manager and honcho of the Family Dog concerts at the Avalon Ballroom) had heard Janis sing in '65 and went to Texas and talked her into coming back, and that was that. but behind the facade she was terribly lonely and depressed, and a lot of the behavior that made her famous--the loud and profane speech, the swaggering attitude, the fuck-you demeanor--was put on for public consumption. erstwhile Stones road manager Sam Cutler describes getting to know Janis in 1970...he was staying at Jerry Garcia's house, and she lived just up the road. in his memoir he describes her in private as being very bright, witty, soft-spoken, and forlorn. but that wasn't what the public wanted...she suffered an early iteration of the Pete Doherty/Amy Winehouse thing where people were consuming her self-destruction. heroin entered the picture early, and cut a swath through Big Brother, killing James Gurley's wife as well as Janis.

well, it's a pretty depressing story. but when Cheap Thrills came out it was a new thing...there hadn't been an endless stream of young white Blues Mamas, and none of the women who came after had nearly her panache. she's been likened to a skyrocket, which is kind of fair. she was nothing if not spectacular. it's another of those stories like Keith Moon where that kind of addiction shit just wasn't understood while they were still alive.

i can really only listen to her recordings with Big Brother, though; once she's off on her own without her posse she gets lost in the hoopla pretty fast, and never sounds completely comfortable again. there's some nice live BB recordings available, and a lot of folk-ier material that only appeared on radio broadcasts and concert recordings which shows Janis in a more laid-back ensemble mode which can be quite charming. give me till tomorrow when i'm at work and it isn't a total pain to do links and i'll find some examples.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music