Your Most Overrated Bands

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Your Most Overrated Bands

Postby retinal orbita » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm

the raytownian wrote:I'm a big Blue Oyster Cult fan, for instance. I know they're hugely famous, but they're still a "second-tier" band at best. I really feel that there was a lot more to them than just 2-3 hit singles, even considering how patchy their later output became. I think they have at least one exceptional track on every album.

Yoooooooooo fuck buddy, they got so many tight jams, I could do without ever hearing their big hit ever again, but fuck the first three LPs are SO TIGHT, like absolutely flawless rock records IMHO, they dip a little for the next three albums, then bounce back with their great, great live album "Some Enchanted Evening" (man, that version of R U Ready 2 Rock" is sooooooo wild!"), Mirrors is kind of a snoozer, but Cultosaurus Erectus and Fire or Unknown Origin are hot bangin' good times. After that it's like, okay, not my thing but they have AMAZING hot jams.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Lurker13 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 pm

retinal orbita wrote:
the raytownian wrote:I'm a big Blue Oyster Cult fan, for instance. I know they're hugely famous, but they're still a "second-tier" band at best. I really feel that there was a lot more to them than just 2-3 hit singles, even considering how patchy their later output became. I think they have at least one exceptional track on every album.

Yoooooooooo fuck buddy, they got so many tight jams, I could do without ever hearing their big hit ever again, but fuck the first three LPs are SO TIGHT, like absolutely flawless rock records IMHO, they dip a little for the next three albums, then bounce back with their great, great live album "Some Enchanted Evening" (man, that version of R U Ready 2 Rock" is sooooooo wild!"), Mirrors is kind of a snoozer, but Cultosaurus Erectus and Fire or Unknown Origin are hot bangin' good times. After that it's like, okay, not my thing but they have AMAZING hot jams.

I'm a major BOC fan too. I'm going to disagree a little and say Imaginos was a great album too, and Mirrors had its charms. Secret Treaties is probably my favorite BOC album from the black and white phase. Dominance and Submission, Flaming Telepaths, Astronomy, Career of Evil... man, I could go on all night about BOC.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:
Lurker13 wrote:As for
codetocontra wrote:Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix was revolutionary and made mind-searing music. His technique, creativity, and showmanship were all unparalleled. I've listened to a lot of music from the '60s, and I have never heard anything that came out prior to 1967 that sounded like the songs on Are You Experienced. He took rock music into outer space and beyond, and the world of rock music has never been the same. A lot of people learned to play guitar because they were inspired by him. I still feel blown away almost every time I listen to his music; not by every song, and not by most of the vault scrapings, but he was certainly one of the greatest rock musicians ever.

To me what he really did was take blues, soul and rock and slam them all together into something interesting.. still, most of the voicings he used in solos/licks are Albert King [most blues rock plays up to SRV rely super heavy on Albert King's stuff] and John Lee Hooker lexicon :)*

That's a fine analysis, Blackened.

All this talk about Jimi has given me an itch I need to scratch...

..oh yeah, much better. This thread needed some musicifaction anyway.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Lurker13 wrote:I'm going to disagree a little and say Imaginos was a great album too, and Mirrors had its charms.

I don't know if I've ever heard Imaginos so I will check out. Maybe I'll give Mirrors another jam too while I'm at it. :hug:
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Lurker13 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:15 pm

retinal orbita wrote:
Lurker13 wrote:I'm going to disagree a little and say Imaginos was a great album too, and Mirrors had its charms.

I don't know if I've ever heard Imaginos so I will check out. Maybe I'll give Mirrors another jam too while I'm at it. :hug:

I think you're really going to like Imaginos.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:59 am

First three BOC records are fantastic indeed.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 am

Rolling Stones
Mastodon
Bob Dylan
Most stoner metal bands
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 am

dugwolf wrote:Obviously in the minority, but I’ve never liked anything I’ve heard from U2. Can’t understand why they’re SO BIG.

I waited for this band to appear here. I don't get it, either.

I have tried several times to get into Jimi Hendrix' stuff. Sorry, folks! I can't! :(
And I was born way too late to get the Beatles hype. Most of their songs simply sound awkward to my ears. There are VERY few exceptions. :duck:
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 am

Is this the thread where we can all come out and finally agree that 80s hardcore fucking sucks?
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am

I used to think The Beatles was overrated, but then I started listening to The Beatles...
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Olin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Strange Tales wrote:Is this the thread where we can all come out and finally agree that 80s hardcore fucking sucks?

Actually laughed at this.

Yes. Especially you, Rollins.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 pm

ognoy wrote:I used to think The Beatles was overrated, but then I started listening to The Beatles...

Agreed on this. I said they were overrated for the longest time but then not even that long ago I listened to Revolver and the White Album (and then onto more) and I changed my mind. I still think a lot of their songs/records are overrated though, just not the band as a whole because they did some seriously great and innovative stuff.

Not going to bother with any of the many other arguments I would have in this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Black Flag, Sonic Youth, Fugaz, MBV, Joy Division, Sleep.

Basically t-shirt-core :idk:

But I do like and listen to most of them, I just think they are overrated.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gnomethrone » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:35 pm

*pushes glasses up*
I only like their first t-shirts
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:07 pm

I fucking hate the Rolling Stones.

More recently, Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music