Open Source ILF Collab Vol. 2 (JAMS IS LIVE, PAGE 14!)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Open Source ILF Collab Vol. 2

Postby Aquietcabin1978 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:56 pm

DRodriguez wrote:If we're going to 20 participants, how about we down it to one sample each.. That way we get a little more limited

Dig that concept.
jwar wrote:I'd tell both you guys to eat a dick, but it's against the vibe of the thread. Dicks are meat right? ;) haha

Invisible Man wrote:All roads lead to butt stuff.
Aquietcabin1978

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 pm

moid wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:You're both in. I wasn't expecting the list to be full by Sunday :lol:

IF anyone else wants in you're welcome to join, I guess I'll put the hard cap at 20 just for size of sample library reasons?

Awesome, thanks! We'll get creating something weird and wonderful. Is there a date that the sample has to be ready by? I couldn't see one mentioned.

Not a hard date yet. Y'all are being way too on the ball for my expectations. :lol:

It will probably be something like December 14th?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ProCarsteNation » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Allrighty then!
In like Flynt
Mercedes limousine with a hardcore tint :!!!:

also:
Aquietcabin1978 wrote:
DRodriguez wrote:If we're going to 20 participants, how about we down it to one sample each.. That way we get a little more limited

Dig that concept.

totally digging that concept no matter how many we are
then you really gonna mean that sample
aural conjunctions on SC

I hate moodswings are awesome! Oh, and I usually post when I'm way too tired...
Invisible Man wrote:do something selfish and live a little.
ProCarsteNation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:34 pm

lo-fi long form string improv finished and sent and submitted :snax:
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 pm

How long should the sample be? 5 seconds? 10?
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:How long should the sample be? 5 seconds? 10?

I think what most people meant is "please not 10 minutes long" ;).

Anything between 0.5s and 1 minute for example seems fine to me, depending on the material : i.e. for something ambient and simple/field recordings/etc., long samples can be fine but if it's a dense piece of sound, please make it short.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:09 pm

mine was a little over 10 minutes i think, but i just hit record and did a long form take, part with delay, part without. I just figured most people would be doing crazy abstract stuff, so i did a more rhythm specific section that is long and varied. If people only want to use 1 second of it, that is fine. If people want to compose something longer with it, that is fine too. If people don't like any of it, that is fine as well. I just did what i personally like to do, which is longer form stuff. I think anyone can do whatever they want really. Everyone is just going to hack these apart anyways in whatever way interests them. And everyone has different interests and ways of working. And i think that is what is exciting about working like this.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:34 pm

I just thought the idea was having a small pool of fairly short sounds and seeing how people would create vastly different things with the same small snippets. A bad analogy, but an analogy non the less, would be handing a group of people 20 lego pieces and seeing what they would make VS handing them a box of 500 pieces. It gets less interesting and waters down the concept. That's my $0.02.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:47 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:I just thought the idea was having a small pool of fairly short sounds and seeing how people would create vastly different things with the same small snippets. A bad analogy, but an analogy non the less, would be handing a group of people 20 lego pieces and seeing what they would make VS handing them a box of 500 pieces. It gets less interesting and waters down the concept. That's my $0.02.

I understand what you are saying and your analogy UC. Regardless of what people do or contribute, i am just excited to play with it all haha. I figured most people would be doing shorter bits (which can be a good thing, like how it supports your analogy) :hobbes:
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:29 am

I have several ideas for samples, all shorter. They get to be morphed and chopped and spliced into something bigger.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:26 am

:lol:

10 minutes isn't a sample. That's something that could be sampled.

Unrelated. I will be mastering this again. Likely around -14 lufs for internet compatability. So peak DB doesn't matter too much. But if your track is slammed loud, you will be quieted down. Dynamics are your friend. Uncompressed wav or aiff if possible.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:59 am

#slowlife
#longrider
#norules
#toocoolforschools
#tooslowforrules

setting the bar low and slow, long and wrong, one song at a time so no one else has to
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 am

aedes wrote:Found this gem in the 2016 thread

D.o.S. wrote:as for content of sample: it's all up to you, although if you send me a four hour drone, I might speed it up until it is 3 seconds long, and likewise, if I submit a snare hit you might stretch it to be four hours. What the sound ends up looking like is really beyond the control of the contributor, to some degree -- which might be an important thing to keep in mind here if you're inclined to submit something.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 am

Where do we send the samples to? And did we land on one or two?

DRodriguez wrote:Unrelated. I will be mastering this again. Likely around -14 lufs for internet compatability. So peak DB doesn't matter too much. But if your track is slammed loud, you will be quieted down. Dynamics are your friend. Uncompressed wav or aiff if possible.

It can be loud and still retain dynamics ;)
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:20 am

The email is in the OP under nuts and bolts.

Number of samples depends on number of participants. If no one else is interested after today (Monday) we can lock it at 16 and decide.
Last edited by D.o.S. on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music