Open Source ILF Collab Vol. 2 (JAMS IS LIVE, PAGE 14!)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Open Source ILF Collab Vol. 2

Postby Olin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:50 pm

oscillateur wrote:Maybe we should have some fuzzy guidelines for the samples this year.
Like, a duration limit maybe and ideally not things that are already super layered/full tracks, as it gives less freedom for people to combine/mash them together.

But then, I'm thinking about guidelines more than hard rules.

Was also thinking this. Can't decide whether having a key would be a good idea or a restrictive idea.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby actual » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Was thinking the same, but with some savvy you can always figure out the pitch and transpose accordingly.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Olin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 pm

Yeah that's my counter-thought, that if someone does something in a different scale you can fux with it to warp it into your key or whatever, and that's probably part of the experience. Dunno.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:42 pm

This is a cool project. Trying to figure out how I would approach assembling a song from samples.
Edit: experimenting with signal flow ideas tonight.
Last edited by codetocontra on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 am

I would highly recommend against over organizing the samples. The beauty of the project is how everyone approaches the process and its challenges differently. When you set everything to a key, you're already adding in a focus. Also samples can be atonal, or between keys, etc.

Basic guidelines like not massively long (my bad last time) are fine.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 am

Yeah, I was just thinking in terms of avoiding samples that are basically whole tracks already, and having them not too long.
Anything more than that is too much constraints I think.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ibarakishi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:45 am

DRodriguez wrote:I would highly recommend against over organizing the samples. The beauty of the project is how everyone approaches the process and its challenges differently. When you set everything to a key, you're already adding in a focus. Also samples can be atonal, or between keys, etc.

Basic guidelines like not massively long (my bad last time) are fine.

This ^

I don't think time is a huge problem though, mainly just because from what i understood, we are just cutting up and arranging whatever we want right from the final folder of stems correct? So basically, whatever samples you put out for the project would then most likely be the framework or starting point from where you were wanting to take your own track anyways (or at least wanted to bank on having samples for that were in your control). In the end, just making sure that your own tracks are relatively long enough to do what you are interested from jumping off from would be fine IMO.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby actual » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:06 am

I think making specially tailored samples for yourself kinda defeats the purpose, at least it does for me. :idk:
Don't really care about the length of the samples, cause like you say, they're gonna get chopped (and possibly screwed) anyway.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ibarakishi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 am

sorry, i worded my thoughts wrong actual. I meant that you would be putting samples forward that would be of interest to you, and that it would most likely be something that you would use naturally anyway (because they are being made by you). Things that other people contribute would obviously change your perspective of your own samples and would inspire you maybe to use them in another completely different way (just like you would most likely be using other people's samples in different ways then they naturally would). Hope i worded this better this time. I didn't mean that you would arrange samples to have a song arranged and set in stone. I just simply meant that from my perspective i would naturally approach this by trying to create samples that i thought would be interesting to work with, and hopefully others that used them from the folder would find them interesting to use as well.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 am

This is a good discussion :)
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:12 am

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 am

Three spots left!
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:14 am

I'd love to join!
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:16 am

Two spots left!
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:20 am

ibarakishi wrote:sorry, i worded my thoughts wrong actual. I meant that you would be putting samples forward that would be of interest to you, and that it would most likely be something that you would use naturally anyway (because they are being made by you). Things that other people contribute would obviously change your perspective of your own samples and would inspire you maybe to use them in another completely different way (just like you would most likely be using other people's samples in different ways then they naturally would). Hope i worded this better this time. I didn't mean that you would arrange samples to have a song arranged and set in stone. I just simply meant that from my perspective i would naturally approach this by trying to create samples that i thought would be interesting to work with, and hopefully others that used them from the folder would find them interesting to use as well.

I see :)

This might be premature (premature twss), but I assume Drod will handle mastering again this year? If so, Drod - can I max my shit out at -0.3 or what do you prefer in this regard?
Listened to all the Vol. 1 tracks earlier btw, a lot of cool, creative shit in there.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Music