World Music n Shit

Moderator: Ghost Hip

World Music n Shit

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 pm

So inevitably, working at a record store has led to me gaining a taste for world music. I've been really enthralled with traditional Indian Music, tambalas especially, and pretty much everything on the Sublime Frequencies label. Been meaning to branch out further, so please, get at me with links to some crazy world shit.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: World Music n Shit

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:52 pm

What kind of shit? :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BitchPudding » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 pm

I mean, anything really. So far I've only listened to kind of trancey shit, stuff thats calming that I can so out to. Shit like Tambalas for times of the day and Captured street music. So really anything kinda out there would be cool.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Nikhil Banerjee is my dude on the sitar. You should listen to some of his stuff.

I really like Afternoon Ragas and the hundred-minute raga.

There used to be a store in Berkeley called Shrimati's which was the place for Indian music. Unfortunately their storefront closed, but they're still online.

I also like shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7NeHqanks

… but really, you have to be more specific about what you wanna hear because I could list shit for like a thousand years. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:18 pm

We'll start slow. Like Chank, I could go on for days.
I like throat singing. So here is some Mongolian and some Inuit.

"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Posted this in the Doom Thread but I love the dissonance of instruments from feudal Japan.

From that, the Erhu is one of my favorite instruments (this is Chinese traditional music though). The erhu is so expressive (honestly, it sounds like Kate Bush sometimes which is crazy cause it's three strings).

From Throat singing - the basics of it is to get interesting harmonics through polyphonic tones.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 pm

^Good stuff.

You should watch Genghis Blues.

Also, some Bulgarian bagpipe music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWtQ7cbhWjw
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Dig it; I would listen during commutes and feel like the vidya protagonist on an epic grind.

David Arkenstone is my guy

[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 pm

The Eastern Daze Blog has been invaluable to me. The genres of music presented there would not be considered 'world' but it's fascinating to see what scenes are where.

Most of the material I listen to from the African continent is psych rock. Same with South Eastern Asian. I know I haven't made it a secret I'm a huge fan of Thai and Cambodian psych rock.

Some Amazonian flute from the famous AGUIRRE: THE WRATH OF GOD (this movie is worth checking out because 1. It's awesome 2. POPOL VUH score

1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Again, not 'world' music but I know you like noise Pudding so check out the film WE DON'T CARE ABOUT MUSIC ANYWAY for a more recent look into noise in industrial Japan.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:58 pm

I'll call it a night after I share this. One of my favorite Zambian Psych Rock bands.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 pm

^^Awesome. New favorite thread.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Music