Rhythm!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Rhythm!

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Hello folks,

I've been having conversations with non-net friends on the subject of Rhythm guitar. So I have a few questions/observations.

1. Do you stick to tried and true chord progressions?
2. Do you throw in 7ths, 9ths, dim5ths, major7ths, minor7ths, etc. in your songs? If so, do you stick to "proper progressions theory" or do you go with what sounds good?
3. What measure beat count do you typically use per measure? 4? 8? 16?
4. Do you use scales (single notes) as your rhythm riff/pattern?

Thoughts? Opinions? Address the above or discuss anything related to rhythm guitar ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Rhythm!

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 pm

8th-note downstroke barre chords or go home.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:29 pm

tremolo3 wrote:8th-note downstroke barre chords or go home.

how far do you swing your arm?
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Olin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 pm

tremolo3 wrote:8th-note downstroke barre chords or go home.

At 170bpm only.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:40 am

JereFuzz wrote:1. Do you stick to tried and true chord progressions?
2. Do you throw in 7ths, 9ths, dim5ths, major7ths, minor7ths, etc. in your songs? If so, do you stick to "proper progressions theory" or do you go with what sounds good?

1. I don't know what are the tried and true chord progressions, but I hardly think I'm into modal and mixolidian and midichlorian stuff, so I guess I do stick to what sounds "normal" :idk:
2. Power chords all the way. Sometimes I don't play the bass root note of the chords, sometimes I just play standard chords but move around a finger half step until it sounds weird but can still clearly hear what the chord is.
3. I'm mainly a drummer, and a huge fan of math rock and weird shit, so it's almost never 4 or 8.
4. I guess is unconscious but I always end up sticking to pentatonic scale...

So yeah, I'm drunk and will follow up this thread because I love rhythm. :hobbes:

tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dapper Bandit » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 am

Depends what sort of music you are playing. When I'm doing riff based stuff I just whack the strings with my notes hand down at the flappy end of the stick. Slightly more seriously, practise is practise and that's when I focus on what I'm actually doing (scales, patterns, technique) but if I'm writing I just kind of tune the minutiae of guitar playing out, my favourite riffs that I've written weren't thought out or closely examined, they just flowed forth.

To try and answer in a more constructed way

1) I very rarely use chord progressions, guitars is fo' riffin.
2) I'm quite a big fan of spicing up any chords I do use with 6ths and shit. Piggy from Voivod is a massive on my playing. No theory, just what sounds good.
3) Usually in 4 I suppose, I do like to play slightly ahead/behind the beat so it doesn't sound like straight 4/4 though.
4) I do tend to single note a riff out initially and then maybe beef some up notes as I get more comfortable with it.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:31 am

tremolo3 wrote:mixolidian and midichlorian stuff

My favorite mode. It's in my blood.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:19 am

tremolo3 wrote:
JereFuzz wrote:1. Do you stick to tried and true chord progressions?

1. I don't know what are the tried and true chord progressions, but I hardly think I'm into modal and mixolidian and midichlorian stuff, so I guess I do stick to what sounds "normal" :idk:
2. Power chords all the way. Sometimes I don't play the bass root note of the chords, sometimes I just play standard chords but move around a finger half step until it sounds weird but can still clearly hear what the chord is.
3. I'm mainly a drummer, and a huge fan of math rock and weird shit, so it's almost never 4 or 8.
4. I guess is unconscious but I always end up sticking to pentatonic scale...

So yeah, I'm drunk and will follow up this thread because I love rhythm. :hobbes:

Interesting observations ... if you're a drummer I'd think that the bass guitar would be your 2nd instrument. Drums/bass seem a natural skill-set pairing.
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:25 am

Dapper Bandit wrote:Depends what sort of music you are playing. When I'm doing riff based stuff I just whack the strings with my notes hand down at the flappy end of the stick. Slightly more seriously, practise is practise and that's when I focus on what I'm actually doing (scales, patterns, technique) but if I'm writing I just kind of tune the minutiae of guitar playing out, my favourite riffs that I've written weren't thought out or closely examined, they just flowed forth.

To try and answer in a more constructed way

1) I very rarely use chord progressions, guitars is fo' riffin. This could be a pain for off-the-cuff jamming ...
2) I'm quite a big fan of spicing up any chords I do use with 6ths and shit. Piggy from Voivod is a massive on my playing. No theory, just what sounds good. Yeah, deviating from the norm/what is expected keep songs interesting. Need to check out Piggy

3) Usually in 4 I suppose, I do like to play slightly ahead/behind the beat so it doesn't sound like straight 4/4 though.
4) I do tend to single note a riff out initially and then maybe beef some up notes as I get more comfortable with it. I think single note riffs are underutilized ... in metal you can create some awesome sounds (listen below)

my comments in red

JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:26 am

^BTW, Dave Lombardo on drums :animal:
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sears » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am

I knew theory before I taught myself guitar. I only play rhythm. Mostly in 4 but a chord might only last a beat, or 2 or 3, straddling a bar. Depends on the melody and whether I'm going for an unsettled or more predictable feeling. Blue notes? Whatever sounds good!

Ideally you're starting with a melody and then making a chord progression around that. It's more natural. But you can go the other way and nobody will necessarily know the difference.
sears

committed
committed

Postby kbit » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Study this album to death. No guitar to be found but a wealth of knowledge on the subject of rhythm.

D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:05 pm

kbit wrote:Study this album to death. No guitar to be found but a wealth of knowledge on the subject of rhythm.

I've heard great things of that, so will fucking do!

tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JereFuzz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:29 pm

kbit wrote:Study this album to death. No guitar to be found but a wealth of knowledge on the subject of rhythm.

thanks for the rec
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Unrelated to guitar, yet obligatory to post...and a useful share [imo] anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WXZZxtZNFo
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Music