Gimme Danger - THE STOOGES Documentary

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Gimme Danger - THE STOOGES Documentary

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Anybody watch it? It was okay. I thought the footage of the Asheton brothers and their perspective was cool.

I'm not a fan of later day Jim Jarmusch movies (he seems to phone it in since BROKEN FLOWERS [which was awesome]). They really seemed to play up the "great misjustice" the record companies did to THE STOOGES and really down played drug use / abuse.

I'm all for unconventional music docs [ABOUT A SON being the good standard for things of that ilk] so I appreciated the 'ambition' of this one.
Any thoughts? Big STOOGES fan here. I rip them of all them time in my playing.

If I can be as fit as Iggy at age 70 I would be thrilled (probably not unreal considering testosterone replacements therapy).
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Gimme Danger - THE STOOGES Documentary

Postby Faldoe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 am

Funny, I forgot where I heard about this the other day but it looked interesting and I watched it last night. It's good.
Faldoe

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:13 am

I liked it
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fuzzonaut » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:11 am

I'm a big Stooges fan and I liked it a lot.

Jarmusch is also a fanboy, I think that's why the whole drug use/abuse stuff and how Iggy just "went to London" and left the whole mess behind, did not really come up.

But it was full of great music and funny moments.

The bit about Iggy on that silly drum stand and how they broke the pier was hilarious.
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:52 am

This was on amazon prime but it's been taken off before I had chance to watch it. I liked the ginger baker documentary a lot, what an interesting old bastard.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ugly Nora » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:33 am

I liked it, and I discovered the awesomeness of Harry Partch when Iggy named him as a influence.

MechaGodzilla wrote:This was on amazon prime but it's been taken off before I had chance to watch it.

It still shows up on my Prime. Check again. The movie was made by Amazon Studios, so I assume they would keep it available on Prime, although maybe it won't always be free. :idk:
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:41 am

Yes, that was/is awesome. An interesting narrative point (STOOGES being more influenced by free jazz and avant garde). Probably why I think the three albums still hold up well today. Some Noise rock groups still overtly say they are doing a STOOGES noise rock project (circa 2015-2017).

The footage of their reunited concerts made up for almost daily viewing when I was 13. Keeping it pedal related I remember I got my first pedal (a way) and trying to play the parts of '1969'.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 am

If you have Netflix you should check out 'Danny Says' while it's on there. Planning on watching the Stooges one soon!

@$harkTootth did you see the Limits of Control? I thought it was great...
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:22 pm

That was kind of the movie where I was like "what is he doing?". I think I need to re-watch cause otherwise I am a big fan. I do tend to change my mind about these things and I haven't seen it since it came out. I did like the visuals but only because Christopher Doyle is a maestro.

I am yet to see PATERSON. NJ native and I love Adam Driver so I am already biased to like it.Frederick Elmes also shot it so by default it has to be awesome!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:44 am

Ugly Nora wrote:
MechaGodzilla wrote:This was on amazon prime but it's been taken off before I had chance to watch it.

It still shows up on my Prime. Check again. The movie was made by Amazon Studios, so I assume they would keep it available on Prime, although maybe it won't always be free. :idk:

It's available to buy but it doesn't have the "prime" banner over the icon on UK Amazon.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to Music