Be(a)st Records of the year thread, 2017 (version)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Be(a)st Records of the year thread, 2017 (version)

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Dapper Bandit wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:
Dapper Bandit wrote:Noveller - A Pink Sunset For No One

Been meaning to check this out. Oscillateur got me into her. Her sounds are a little more than this but I have wanted to dub some music as 'Pedal-Core' or 'Pedal-gaze'. This is not meant to be a disparaging comment but there are some musicians where the use of pedals is intrinsic to the sounds (using and thinking about pedals as compositional tools instead of just sound shapers).

This one actually seems less pedal-y, there are a few different instruments but I get where you are coming from for sure. Jean Baudin is another one where he is essentially playing one (enormous) instrument through another (enormous) instrument.

There is so much potential in pedals now that it does seem kind of ludicrous to not compose based on what you have available at your feet but I suppose it is a niche thing compared to that whole "jamming blues rock through a Klone into a Dumble and everything else is bullshit soundscaping" paradigm that apparently most musicians on the internet go in for.

If you mean "musician who uses a stringed instrument", then sure. Most pedals are super ducking limited compared to other sonic manipulation tools, though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dapper Bandit » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Admittedly I am coming from a stringy background. But even with synths, which are much more powerful in the scope of sounds possible, I think that a half decent delay pedal can open up much more musical possibilities.

I suppose what I meant was the breadth of external signal processing options available now give musicians more compositional opportunities than just shredding your sweet skills as much as possible. Allan Holdsworth played a synth ax (sp?) of all things so to my mind all avenues of creativity are worth pursuing. I can't speak with any authority about synths or modular setups as I am nowhere near smart enough to comprehend them.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby Eivind August » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:54 pm

This is some rad Swedish progy psych goodness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z47llNr7LZc
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 am

Forgot this lovely slab of psychonautal cosmodelic buckfaustian jams came out this year:
https://thecosmicdead.bandcamp.com/album/psych-is-dead
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dozicusmaximus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 am

D.o.S. wrote:Forgot this lovely slab of psychonautal cosmodelic buckfaustian jams came out this year:
https://thecosmicdead.bandcamp.com/album/psych-is-dead

Nice! I love these guys.

I don't have much to add. I've fallen behind in the last few years. I will say the Ruins of Beverast album is one of my favorites from this year.

Also thanks for the tip on the Dreamdecay album. That was great. I'm always looking for some kind of newer post-punk types of things.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:08 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Artists I Want To Have A New EP/LP From This Year:
1. BURIAL (if this comes out it will be late December after all the 'Top' lists came out)

Welp...I missed it. Apparently he released a single in September. Unsurprisingly, I'm super into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqBiYJIlyzo
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:48 am

Let's get meta...what was everyone's favorite 'Favorite of 2017 List'? I plan to go through some of the year ends today.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Let's get meta...what was everyone's favorite 'Favorite of 2017 List'? I plan to go through some of the year ends today.

This is the only time of the year where I actually listen to music journalism. I love year end lists as there's too much music coming out for me to digest it all. And since it's not a individual review of an album that can go either way, I can get something even from reviewers I typically dislike (coughcoughfantanocoughcough). Lots of good releases this year too. :snax:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 pm

I can't even choose a favourite from this year.

Perhaps most surprising has been the new Cannibal Corpse.
Last album was flat, but this is surprisingly progressive. I mean, it's cannibal, so take that with a fistful of salt. But I can hear some Ulcerate influences in there, the grooves are pretty fucking crushing, and it is legitimately thrashy (like the totally underrated last Vader album). Production is nice, for a clean modern death album. Definitely Alex Webster's best bass sound ever, which is great because he fucking slays.

All Pigs Must Die has been in high rotation as well.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:48 pm

I looked at the Pitchfork list and, without sounding too pretentious, I'm not really interested in listening to anything on it. It might just be my current headspace as I am always curious to check out new music. Did any really good twee pop albums come out this year?

This used to be my favorite time of year to find new music but I think now that I'm always seeking out new stuff...its kind of lost its allure?

EDIT: Never mind. The new PLANNING FOR THE BURIAL piqued my interest.
Last edited by $harkToootth on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Inconuucl wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:Let's get meta...what was everyone's favorite 'Favorite of 2017 List'? I plan to go through some of the year ends today.

This is the only time of the year where I actually listen to music journalism. I love year end lists as there's too much music coming out for me to digest it all. And since it's not a individual review of an album that can go either way, I can get something even from reviewers I typically dislike (coughcoughfantanocoughcough). Lots of good releases this year too. :snax:

Favorite list is probably this one:
http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2017/12 ... bums-2017/

Really interesting read if you're into the taxia of subgenres. I don't take much stock in general __-1 lists though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:57 pm

I disregard that whole list because God Mother isn't on it. Metal journalists have failed.
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:46 am

I read that Vice best 100 list and I think the only thing I even recognized was the Primitive Man album.... :idk:
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gnomethrone » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:21 pm

goroth wrote:Perhaps most surprising has been the new Cannibal Corpse.

I hadn't checked it out yet cause I kinda expected it to be interchangeable with the last one but listening now and this is great. Sounds fresh but still familiar and super fun.

edit: "HEADS... SHOVELED... OFFFFFF" hahaha yessssss. never change, cannibal corpse. the world needs you now more than ever.
Last edited by gnomethrone on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
good dealings here:
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Favorite list is probably this one:
http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2017/12 ... bums-2017/

Really interesting read if you're into the taxia of subgenres. I don't take much stock in general __-1 lists though.

Thanks. I'm into that sort of thing.

Glad to see CODE ORANGE got recognition. Every time I put on that album I never turned it off which is a good thing.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music