· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Your band, other bands, singers, songwriters, more.
Post a reply

Re: Be(a)st Records of the year thread, 2017 (version)

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:06 pm

$harkToootth wrote:'Envy' would be an understatement for how I feel about that. I envy you.

:lol: it bugs them though... I keep waiting to be forced... But fuck if I want to hang out with those people... Particularly when drinking will be an included activity...

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 pm

$harkToootth wrote:'Envy' would be an understatement for how I feel about that. I envy you.

fr dude can you just not go? We have them every year and I just refuse to go, they can't fire me for not going to a Christmas do.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Every year I say I'm not going and every year I eventually go to the Christmas party because the open bar is TOP SHELF and I like getting tanked with doctors who are paying

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm

D.o.S., that Dawn Ray'd album is excellent, I honestly liked it from the first track. Has a real Bathory sort of vibe to it. The drumming and vocals would not be out of place in a melodic hardcore band. The violin brings serious atmosphere. Love it.

I forgot the new Brand New - Science Fiction - Vince's guitar work is front and centre. "137" is the standout track from me. I've been listening for a while now and it's excellent. I am saddened, however, by recent allegations of sexual misconduct against Jesse Lacey. I never looked up to him or anything, it's just still extremely disappointing and obviously, you guys can have a field day with it. I hope he just owns up to it and makes amends

EDIT: He made a statement, I thought it was alright
Last edited by casecandy on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm

casecandy wrote:D.o.S., that Dawn Ray'd album is excellent, I honestly liked it from the first track. Has a real Bathory sort of vibe to it.

A comparison to BATHORY is the only review I need. Checking out today! Thank you!

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:45 pm

I do really like this Bell Witch album. You can't make a single track that's an hour and a half long without begging comparison to Sleep, Sunn, and Boris, but of course I think they're trying to insert themselves into that lineage and that's okay with me because I always welcome new music like that. The band's aesthetic, both sonically and visually, is on point as always. Reapers, witches, ghosts, etc., it's all noice...

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Every time I try to listen to it I just can't shake the feeling Corrupted did it better... twice :lol: with El Mundo Frio and Garten der Unbewusstheit

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:10 am

Stuff on my list so far:

Bibio - Phantom Brickworks
Com Truise - Iteration
Alessandro Cortini - Avanti
Converge - The Dusk In Us
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:33 am

This is gonna be a shocker given how emo I am but... I haven't heard the new Converge

DO NOT tell the other ageing scenesters, I'll be shunned for sure

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 am

casecandy wrote:This is gonna be a shocker given how emo I am but... I haven't heard the new Converge

DO NOT tell the other ageing scenesters, I'll be shunned for sure

I've been a fan for probably 13 years or so and this is their most exciting record in a while. Just rips super hard.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm

There’s two to skip on the new Converge. Everything else is really great.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 pm

I haven't heard the new ARIEL PINK yet which is unheard of for me....

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm

My 2017 consumption has been limited...in more than 1 sense of the word...but I bought some vinyl...
DJ Brace - Apatheia
The Du-Rites - Greasy Listening
Vince Staples - Big Fish

First 2 drew me in right away, infectiously. The VS is far more challenging & abrasive, all 3 keep getting better with subsequent play.

Singles dl in need of deluxe 7" treatment:
Lil B - Ride (Hold Up)
The jam of jams; shoutout to driving songs with rolling basslines.

Tyler, the creator - Pothole (feat JADEN SMITH)
How much I've grown to dig this surprises me.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 pm

New Limp Wrist escaped my notice but it rips (obvi)
https://limpwrist.bandcamp.com/album/facades

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 am

Another The Bug EP, and maybe his six millionth collab with Flowdan. It's a bit weak to be honest, Flowdan especially can do so much better than this but none of it ever really goes anywhere.
https://thebugmusic.bandcamp.com/album/bad-get-out-the-way
Post a reply