Be(a)st Records of the year thread, 2017 (version)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Be(a)st Records of the year thread, 2017 (version)

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:37 am

Because it's come up a couple of times: On first listen the new Bell Witch is good but the flanger annoys the shit out of me.

Also for Sharky, Case, GotD:
Curious to your thoughts on this album:
https://dawnrayd.bandcamp.com/album/the ... l-assembly
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:27 pm

^^^I'm going to make some tea and listen now, thanks.
Also, "Yes" Goroth's quote was from your chat. That was a good one! I love that podcast.
And you DEAFHAVEN point has resonated. I never thought of it from a perspective of negative reinforcement.

"Screaming" came up at dinner with friends tonight. My friend asked if "screaming" was always metal and we all explained that "No" it could be a derivative of 'emotive hardcore' varieties of 'punk' or they could just be the band UNWOUND. All sorts of options!

EDIT: Jah I thought that was nothing short of excellent. Thank you for the recommendation. Loved it. I'm going to be listening to this a lot. I love those riffs in the last part of 'Emptiness Beneath The Great Emptiness' (favorite track I think). The album has an interesting juxtaposition between celtic folk and medieval music. A+. No but seriously that riff at 1:43 of 'EBTGE' :animal:
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:43 am

Also, I kind of want that long sleeve shirt...
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:49 am

Definitely get on it. Saw those dudes play around the corner from my flat on a lark a couple of months ago, totally blew me away.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 am

I also liked the cleaner folky tracks. I think they punctuate the album well. That last track...
I was a bit tired last night and working so I guess it wasn't so much the riff (it was a standard tremolo picking riff as opposed to something a bit more rhythmically complex like DISMEMBER) but the note progression was just 100%.

I didn't read along with the lyrics last night but I plan to this evening. I appreciate how substantive they were.

Can you go into detail about the show? I don't think I'll ever get to see them since smaller bands getting visas to tour the states is a big issue now (it took ELECTRIC WIZARD years to come back right?)
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:17 pm

This album is a super strong contender: https://theeffects.bandcamp.com/album/eyes-to-the-light

Members of Faraquet so it was destined to be great from the start.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:16 pm

I wish Dismember were still around.

I saw them at an all-ages gig in Uppsala like 10 years ago and it was godly.
But it was odd not swilling beer to their music.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:42 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I also liked the cleaner folky tracks. I think they punctuate the album well. That last track...
I was a bit tired last night and working so I guess it wasn't so much the riff (it was a standard tremolo picking riff as opposed to something a bit more rhythmically complex like DISMEMBER) but the note progression was just 100%.

I didn't read along with the lyrics last night but I plan to this evening. I appreciate how substantive they were.

Can you go into detail about the show? I don't think I'll ever get to see them since smaller bands getting visas to tour the states is a big issue now (it took ELECTRIC WIZARD years to come back right?)

Show details will be hazy because it was a free gig at a pub with cheap drinks (aka I was DRAAAAANK), but for being a band I'd never heard (one of our friends was in one of the openers, Deadwound) of they were really tremendous -- even with the singer switching to his violin throughout.

Luckily, footage is on Youtube so you don't need to take my word for it -- I was maybe three or four feet to the right of the videographer:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:52 pm

@D.o.S. - Thanks for the input.
@Strange - Will listen l8r
@goroth - I can relate. I wish Chuck S from DEATH was still around :cry:
Keep drinking beer goroth! Apparently that is the fuel for 240 mile races (Ahem...386.243 km)
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Don't worry Sharky, beer is an integral part of my carbohydrate intake. It's just that venue didn't sell any beer. One of those no drugs no fun gigs.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby GardenoftheDead » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:35 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Because it's come up a couple of times: On first listen the new Bell Witch is good but the flanger annoys the shit out of me.

On repeat listens I've decided this album had a shitty digital transfer. There's pops and artifacts all over the place and now I can't unhear it.

Also dawn rayd :thumb:
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:46 pm

Artists I Want To Have A New EP/LP From This Year:
1. BURIAL (if this comes out it will be late December after all the 'Top' lists came out)
2. DJ SPRINKLES (Even K-S.H.E. would be great! Not looking likely though)
3. GROUPER
4. LEVIATHAN
5. CONSUMER ELECTRONICS (with Russell Haswell on it again)
6. PETE SWANSON
7. FUCK BUTTONS (seriously guys, get off your ass. 'Slow Focus' came out in 2013)
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:05 pm

The members of Fuck Buttons have put out a couple solo releases since Slow Focus, check those out. Also I've read that Pete Swanson isn't really making music right now, at least not for the purposes of releasing.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 pm

kbit wrote:The members of Fuck Buttons have put out a couple solo releases since Slow Focus, check those out. Also I've read that Pete Swanson isn't really making music right now, at least not for the purposes of releasing.

Haha jah, I love BLANCK MASS. I may have posted the LP that came out this year earlier. 'Dumb Flesh' was one of my favorites.

I kind of expected that of Pete. He is getting an advanced degree in Psychiatric Nursing in NYC. He has made it clear that is top priority but one can still dream for some new tunes...
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Swanson has been working with a label doing cool re-releases though:
https://freedomtospend.bandcamp.com/
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music