i might get into vinyl idk

Moderator: Ghost Hip

i might get into vinyl idk

Postby friendship » Wed May 17, 2017 9:11 pm

I realized I only regularly listen to maybe 6 albums at any given span of time. Also, my digital media management skills have only deteriorated through time--what was once religious backing up of my iTunes library is now a haphazard graveyard of flotsam, mostly on account of iTunes gets more unusable with ever iteration. I do like Spotify for discovering music but it doesn't change my focus on a handful of things at any given time.

So I was thinking at my glacial rate of introducing new music into my life, why not just invest in vinyl? I'm sure there are a lot of threads about this on the greater web I could google but I prefer the way things are explained here.

1. Is this a bad idea
1 again. What's a reasonably-priced no-frills turntable setup? I'm sure like with all audio equipment you can go as high as you want to, but I just want stuff that spins the records and puts them out of speakers that sound decent. I'm not interested in hifi culture, I just want an easily save-able long-lasting media format for the music I buy.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: i might get into vinyl idk

Postby actual » Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 am

I'm considering this myself, starting out with favs i listen to on the regular. No first presses and rare stuff.
I was browsing record players a couple weeks ago, and came to the conclusion that the Pioneer PL-990 was the one to get for me. Fully automated and the internet says decent sound. I'll just be hooking it up to my Adams.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fuzzonaut » Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 am

Good idea.

Pro-Ject debut line is very decent no-frill quality stuff. Not sure, if it's reasonably priced for you :idk:
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby Muff_Diver » Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 am

Make sure whatever you get has auto lift. I miss the auto lift function so much :(
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Strange Tales » Thu May 18, 2017 8:19 am

God don't. If you ever plan on moving get a dolly for these fucking things, almost threw out my back moving these things.

I want to sell them but who the hell wants old 90s emo/screamo records?

7"s are a stupid format.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

Strange Tales wrote:7"s are a stupid format.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Thu May 18, 2017 11:43 am

7's are the fucking worst.

I just got back into records for fun.

If you're doing it because it's something you enjoy, then awesome.

Don't do it because you think the quality of a record is better than a cd though, because that's not true at all.

I do like the inherent clicks and white noise you get from older pressing though. That's the nostalgia that brought me back.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm

jwar wrote:Don't do it because you think the quality of a record is better than a cd though, because that's not true at all.

I do like the inherent clicks and white noise you get from older pressing though. That's the nostalgia that brought me back.

+1 on all that. My dad gave me some old 60s singles a while back and, after growing up with the CD mixes of stuff like Cream and the Who, hearing the original versions of (for example) Sunshine of Your Love or Substitute you finally *get* why those tunes had an impact. They're heavy/angry/crazy recordings that got turned into comparatively twee facsimiles of their true selves by whoever thinks remastering is a good idea.

There is no cheap way to do record buying, as far as I can tell.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Vinyl is fucking awesome but fuck moving. I might have to sell a few choice records to afford shipping the rest. :(
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Thu May 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Strange Tales wrote:God don't. If you ever plan on moving get a dolly for these fucking things, almost threw out my back moving these things.

I want to sell them but who the hell wants old 90s emo/screamo records?

7"s are a stupid format.

Meeeeeee, I do (want those records). Hit me up with a list if there's something you plan to part with.

That being said I dread the day when I'll have to move... actually have a lot of 7-inches too, which I love but they're a pain to flip over in the middle of a joint, like. But this year has been all tapes, since the turntable I've had for years (rega p2) went back to its original owner, which suddenly found a use for it when he dug up his old collection. The other day he was deep into rediscovering Use Your Illusion II... So now I am also looking for a new/used record rotator.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Thu May 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Do it! Vinyl rules. It's a really fun format to own music on. Big cover art, it has the most goodies, if they bother including goodies, i.e. posters, extra artwork, crushed pennies. it's just more intimate as well than digital formats of any kind. cd's, mp3's. i do think it sounds better than cd's, but who the fuck buys cd's anyway? no matter how well you treat a cd, in 5 years it will be skipping. and it certainly sounds better on a more consistent basis than mp3's. This may be shitty of me, but for the most part, i don't really buy much music unless it's on vinyl. I buy tapes sometimes, and if it's the only way i can support a band i like i'll occasionally hold my nose and buy a cd. it's just the only format i respect these days. cd's, as i said, are kind of garbage, and mp3's aren't actually a thing. i can't hold them. they're just an imaginary computer thing. anyway, that's my commercial for vinyl.

it's pretty easy to find a decent affordable record player. we currently have a stanton, which is decent. it works well and sounds good. it's not high end stereo nerd stuff, but it's not bad. they have entry level players that are pretty good. and a few nicer ones. the company is owned by gibson, so that is what it is. you're receiver needs to have a phono input or you'll need to buy a phono preamp, which can be had for pretty cheap, but you can't plug a record player into a normal aux input or cd input or whatever. i see decent receivers with a phono input at thrift stores and shit all the time. not hard to come by. And the preamps are cheap if you like the receiver you have and it doesn't have a phono input.

jwar wrote:7's are the fucking worst.

I just got back into records for fun.

If you're doing it because it's something you enjoy, then awesome.

Don't do it because you think the quality of a record is better than a cd though, because that's not true at all.

i'm not intending to be jerk to you here. you seem cool and i like you in that internet kind of way, but it seems like you're saying "don't buy them cause you think they're better, but in fact i think the format has a quality that i like more/think is better". which i agree with the second part of.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm saying the audio quality is not better on vinyl because it degrades over time while cd's do not. Older vinyls tend to get that popping and crackling because of the fact that they are warped over time due to numerous factors.

There's many pros and cons to both forms. I find cds to be a more perfect version especially since a lot of records are mastered from digital files these days.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby tremolo3 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Vinyl sounds better than lossless digital formats and CD if you are a rich guy, otherwise it's only about that nostalgic feeling.

I'm all about convenience, and I listen most of my music in shitty $10 earbuds and a PMP from home to work, so MP3 V0 do the job for me.

Buying physical formats to get the thing (and then resale on discogs) and supporting your bands kick ass though.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby More_Divebombs » Sat May 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Strange Tales wrote:God don't. If you ever plan on moving get a dolly for these fucking things, almost threw out my back moving these things.

This. Moving house last year was what finally made me realise "fuck this nonsense" and get rid of all my records. I couldn't move for 2 days after moving all those cases from one house to another. My back felt like it was made of mashed potato.

It's a commitment, and if you get a collection together and decide you no longer want to have a collection, getting rid of your collection is the most laborious thing you'll ever have to do. Buying my new house, and selling my old house in an area that has been totally depleted by the downturn of the city's major industry, and then moving 500 miles south was easier than getting rid of my records.

Spent a week sat on the floor, surrounded by records, taking photos of them, finding out pressing details and putting them on ebay, one by one. The week after I was answering hundreds of pleas to lower shipping costs which I was already losing money on even before Ebay take their 10%, because everyone on Ebay is a chancer. The week after, packaging them all up, and reading heaps of condescending messages from buyers with detailed step by step instructions on how to package a fucking record, right down to telling me what kind of mailers to buy. I've been buying and selling records since I was 14. That's 16 years ago. F you. F you in the B.

And then writing out loads of enormous addresses. Russian and Japanese addresses were particularly troublesome.

I became the undisputed most hated man of all time to the staff of the Post Office, and everyone behind me in the queue.

"Hi. How can I help you?"
"By sending these HUNDREDS of records over the world, please"

I've never been back to that Post Office.

A nightmarish hellscape of a month.

I made some serious cake though. Had some pretty rare stuff in that collection. Logging in to my Paypal account was like when Scrooge McDuck dives in to the pit of gold coins. Chopped up all the shelving and gave it away as firewood, then had a Step Brothers moment - I had so much more room for activities.

Bollocks to vinyl. It's big and stupid.
Stupid (mostly electronic) music - https://wulfexe.bandcamp.com
More_Divebombs

committed
committed

Postby Mudfuzz » Sat May 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Strange Tales wrote:I want to sell them but who the hell wants old 90s emo/screamo records?

You could always start a esty shop and make pick guards out of them :thumb:

Really the vinyl thing all depends on how much do you want to spend and how picky you are.. I have a pretty cool collection, but it is small as I am picky and everything I usually want costs $20 - $150 BUT fuck a lot of cool reissues are coming out! I just got all the good ministry stuff [still need to pick up Twitch] and TAD's first 3 albums :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to Music