i might get into vinyl idk

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: i might get into vinyl idk

Postby actual » Sun May 21, 2017 5:59 am

I think the "don't do it cause they're heavy"-argument is kinda dumb, and is more a reflection of your body than anything. I got about 120 records from my uncle, which I've been selling them over the past year. They provide a little extra every month, and selling them hasn't really been a hassle. So yeah, get into records if you wanna get into records man. No one says you have to get fucking hundreds of em.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 am

I wonder, you guys saying records are heavy, are any of you the kind of dudes who have a huge rig with multiple heads and cabinets? Coz that shit is cool, both visually and sonically and I think records are no different really. They're cool and extravagant and sound good and also heavy and expensive and clutter but why the fuck not, y'know?
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Sun May 21, 2017 9:07 am

If you're selling the right records you have an obligation to sell them properly.

And, again, I love my record collection, but moving overseas would be a lot easier if I could just box up a couple of hard drives.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 am

I don't see how moving records is any different than moving furniture though. And sure you've gotta sell them properly (I assume you mean rating the quality, finding out what pressing, etc) but as with anything else, you've gotta put in some work if you wanna make that money. It could really be as simple as keeping a list, and updating it whenever you buy new ones.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Sun May 21, 2017 9:41 am

Yeah it's not terribly different from moving furniture. And obviously it is the reddest format.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Sun May 21, 2017 9:49 am

Obviously.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby worra » Sun May 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Do it! Seconded the Pro-ject series as a good starting point. If you want to use a newer amp you'll probably need an outboard pre, or you can get an older amp that has one built in (I use a Marantz 1060). Moving sucks, yeah, but probably only if you have a large collection. I'm moving soon and I've got about 700? It shouldn't be too bad. Milk crates are your friends.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon May 22, 2017 10:24 am

Hard pass on milk crates. I have some DIY stands I hooked up that fit inside cabinets nicely though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Mon May 22, 2017 10:26 am

I dumpster dived a full cabinet that works out surprisingly well. 12"s on the lowest level, 7"s above that, stereo system above that, and the record player on top of the cabinet.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Aquietcabin1978 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Recently bought a new turntable and some powered speakers for giggles. That and for our daughter who has been getting more and more into real music. ( She's listening to Purity Ring right now, not my fave but not bad taste for an eight year old. ) We are using a shelving unit from Ikea flipped on it's side with added feet in the living room. Fits, TT/ pre amp on top and LP's/Speakers in the bottom six shelves. I want to say it is the Kallax. Under a hundred bucks total and effective.

Edit: Only cheap if you live near an Ikea store.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPT8STW/re ... 0961158939
jwar wrote:I'd tell both you guys to eat a dick, but it's against the vibe of the thread. Dicks are meat right? ;) haha

Invisible Man wrote:All roads lead to butt stuff.
Aquietcabin1978

Supporter
Supporter

Postby OldGeorge » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 pm

+100 on the Do It

I don't think it's quality thing as much as it's just mor engaging. When I through on Dopesmoker or James Gang Rides Again I just enjoy it more. I took the time to get out the LP, put it on, flip it (switch LP's), take it off and file it back... I just find because of the effert required I pay more attention to what I'm listening to. It's harder to skip tracks so I take in songs that I would normally skip out of excitement for the ones I already love and gain a greater appreciation for the album as a whole. I spin 3-5 after work everyday for the last year and I've never loved music more than now. When friends come by we jam, talk, drink, play cards, and spin shit.

Never forget the most important part, it's an excuse to play it LOUD A/F! I love my vinyl
OldGeorge

committed
committed

Postby Scruffie » Wed May 24, 2017 11:42 pm

I dunno, I kinda disagree, I think they DO sound better (and my set up was as cheap as they come, £90 player with built in preamp, £30 cheap D-Class amp and a pair of old CD player speakers) I find them to give a fuller field of sound, the bass is usually better and also the inherent quirks lead to a more lively sound.

Plus CD's are so boring, you get a bit of ceremony with loading up a vinyl that makes it a more enjoyable experience, you don't watch the tray, you ARE the tray and then when you see that needle slowly touching down right before the magic happens. It's a bit like drinking a can of warm beer in your underwear at home vs it being poured cold from a tap at the bar, they're both good but one's just a little better and you're more likely to get laid after it.

I also found it was great for getting me back 'in to' music, if you go with vinyl you can't shuffle your records like an mp3 so you gotta really like a whole album in my opinion to make it worthwhile unless you want an insanely huge collection and to be constantly getting up and switching stuff so I found my self listening to full albums where before it was easy to skip to just the hits.

But yeah, I keep it to a single crate of really great albums that I can throw on and chill out with or to add background music for when friends are round and not a monstrous life debilitating collection.

I gets the nostalgia too though, even though I grew up in the 90s I used vinyl until about 2000 and then for most of 2008 onwards I was like, I miss vinyl which no one seemed to understand at the time saying CD's were better and they were too noisy, who's laughing now!

As for weight and moving? That could apply to anything you have enough of, books are heavy as shit after a while.

And finally, hunting down records you want for a price you want, with a CD you can bet it's on ebay for a few bucks, with a record, not always so easy so you get to go searching through record stores and charity shops for shit you like and it's always rewarding to find something or spot something where you think 'huh, I wouldn't buy that new but for a couple of bucks used, i'll give it a try'.

Yeah... i'm kinda buzzed.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby popvulture » Tue May 30, 2017 1:09 pm

I love records and have a shit ton. Moving them is indeed a bit of a pain, but way worth it. I feel like no living room is complete without something approaching a wall of vinyl :p

Pro-Ject turntables are great, so are Music Hall. I have the latter (mmf-5) and a Technics 1200. Few things make me happier.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Tue May 30, 2017 2:28 pm

There is definitely an improvement in sound. Anyone who thinks otherwise just isn't listening through an adequate set-up imo. Larger soundstage, more presence...quite simply the music extends further into the stereo field as well as up and down. You can feel more aspects of the music than just over the top bass.

It's not worth it if you have under $1,500 to spend initially. Or do what I did and work a year at a ritzy Goodwill. I got lucky with a Micro Seiki DD-40 as well as enough speaters to fill a house and wide down to my favorite 2 pair.

Moving isn't that bad if you limit youself. My shelf holds about 400, and I have another 100 put away. I don't go over that, or atleast try not to.

Like most people, I started with hand me down All-in-ones and the like. Low quality tables and cartridges and off branded styli will deteriorate your LP's for sure.

It's certainly not cheap, and learning methods for cleaning and care as well as damage prevention certainly isn't for everyone. There is a great improvement in listening (and possibly for you, enjoyment) quality, but yeah...it's not cheap

When I started buying LP's, I was doing so because they were the cheapest medium. Prices have nearly quadrupled over the past 10-15 years.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed May 31, 2017 7:06 am

Scruffie wrote:I dunno, I kinda disagree, I think they DO sound better (and my set up was as cheap as they come, £90 player with built in preamp, £30 cheap D-Class amp and a pair of old CD player speakers) I find them to give a fuller field of sound, the bass is usually better and also the inherent quirks lead to a more lively sound.

Hey scruff, can you tell us a little bit more about your setup? I need to buy a new amp and I don't want to spend tonnes of money on it.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Music