i might get into vinyl idk

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: i might get into vinyl idk

Postby Scruffie » Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 am

MechaGodzilla wrote:
Scruffie wrote:I dunno, I kinda disagree, I think they DO sound better (and my set up was as cheap as they come, £90 player with built in preamp, £30 cheap D-Class amp and a pair of old CD player speakers) I find them to give a fuller field of sound, the bass is usually better and also the inherent quirks lead to a more lively sound.

Hey scruff, can you tell us a little bit more about your setup? I need to buy a new amp and I don't want to spend tonnes of money on it.

Sure, the amp is a Monacor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stageline-Comp ... E0BNXGQNDP it's gone up since I got it but considering how much amplifiers can run for it's still a bargain.

It's not super high power but it's more than loud enough for not pissing your neighbours off levels and it's a good sturdy construction, doesn't run too warm etc.

It had the two things I wanted, a headphone socket and a basic EQ in a cheap format. My only complaint? Given how small it is you can't stack the player on top.

The player its self is a Sound Lab (again, gone up a bit since I got it) https://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundLAB-Profe ... ord+player
Basic ABS construction but solid enough, looks quite nice, has most of the features you could want and the tone arm, built in pre and supplied cartridge are of good quality.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby MechaGodzilla » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:19 pm

Scruffie wrote:
MechaGodzilla wrote:
Scruffie wrote:I dunno, I kinda disagree, I think they DO sound better (and my set up was as cheap as they come, £90 player with built in preamp, £30 cheap D-Class amp and a pair of old CD player speakers) I find them to give a fuller field of sound, the bass is usually better and also the inherent quirks lead to a more lively sound.

Hey scruff, can you tell us a little bit more about your setup? I need to buy a new amp and I don't want to spend tonnes of money on it.

Sure, the amp is a Monacor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stageline-Comp ... E0BNXGQNDP it's gone up since I got it but considering how much amplifiers can run for it's still a bargain.

It's not super high power but it's more than loud enough for not pissing your neighbours off levels and it's a good sturdy construction, doesn't run too warm etc.

It had the two things I wanted, a headphone socket and a basic EQ in a cheap format. My only complaint? Given how small it is you can't stack the player on top.

The player its self is a Sound Lab (again, gone up a bit since I got it) https://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundLAB-Profe ... ord+player
Basic ABS construction but solid enough, looks quite nice, has most of the features you could want and the tone arm, built in pre and supplied cartridge are of good quality.

Sorry I missed this post, but thank you for writing it.

I ended up with an early 80s Rotel amp, made in Taiwan. I probably overpaid for it and wish I'd gone for an old Cyrus (so small and neat) but I can't fault the Rotel, the seller was legit (most Cyruses on eBay are either overpriced or a real gamble). My TT is a Dual 505 2 I inherited from my dad, I would use his old NAD but it died. The Rotel is the perfect width for the TT but not quite deep enough so it looks stupid from the side :idk: OH WELL. Sounds pretty damn nice. A real step up from spotify through an ipod dock.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Rotel's are really nice, I have a re-badged Rotel (Noresco) and I love it. My first real table was a Dual, super solid, endless performers.

It sounds like you may be setting the Dual on top of the receiver? I really wouldn't. Duals are engineering marvels but require a lot of mechanical movement and you don't want to be drying out the (already thickening) grease.

Noresco's were a Dual dealership variant of Rotel, which I think is a great idication of how well your set-up probably pairs!

I've been spinning some Phillip Glass all morning. Wish I could have more listening parties :cry: :lol:
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Psyre wrote:It sounds like you may be setting the Dual on top of the receiver? I really wouldn't. Duals are engineering marvels but require a lot of mechanical movement and you don't want to be drying out the (already thickening) grease.

This is why I wish I'd bought a Cyrus, they'd fit in my ikea shelf/sideboard instead of having to go on top... where there also isn't room because that's where the TV+TT are... it's a temporary kludge.

I should have regreased it already but just haven't got around to it.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:14 am

The ritual of putting an LP on a turntable and truly listening is not to be understated. Though I love earbuds and digital too, it obviously has certain advantages. I fell off buying music for a long while after CDs just became boring and had too many skipping or unreadable issues in one of our cars. Vinyl brought me back to paying for music I care about. I set a limit of one record per month, just as important to our budget as it is my listening habits. I love to digest music slowly through repeated listenings to catch all the details and etch it all into memory. Really want to upgrade my setup to something a bit more respectable. Might sell some gear to do it.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm reviving this thread because I spent a week in a place with one of those suitcase turntables with built-in speakers and I had a lot of fun using it. I'm not going to get into HiFi or amass a large vinyl collection, so I think this would be a fun cheap way to play the ones I have. What's a good value for a portable suitcase turntable?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Will you be travelling with it? Otherwise there are all-in-one models that have CD players and tape decks for about $100.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:54 am

codetocontra wrote:Will you be travelling with it? Otherwise there are all-in-one models that have CD players and tape decks for about $100.

Probably won't be traveling with it. Do those all-in-ones have speakers and AM/FM radio?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:51 am

Yes, all included. Probably all equal in price and quality but I don't know. Like $120. Just searched amazon.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to Music