Finding a manager?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Finding a manager?

Postby IEatCats » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:32 pm

I've been interested in trying to find someone to manage my group and help us promote and set up shows, but have absolutely no idea how to go about this or what to look for in a manager.

Anyone have any experience with this that could offer some advice?
maz91379 wrote:this board is really weird sometimes bros

Amissoteomb wrote:Modern technology makes the process of purchasing erection pills even simpler and swifter than before.
IEatCats

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Finding a manager?

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:00 pm

Are you sure you don't just wanna find a flanger?

That'd probably be a lot easier. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby IEatCats » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:02 pm

I'm actually just hoping to get someone who we can pay on a percentage to do all the shit that we're way too fucking lazy to do because we're shit at DIY promotion.

I do need to find a new flanger tho.

Amissoteomb wrote:Modern technology makes the process of purchasing erection pills even simpler and swifter than before.
IEatCats

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:07 pm

At this stage in the game, I'd say look to a friend who's involved in your scene who's really into your band.

Do you have a superfan?

You'll get a lot more shows from people you know than just some random dude/lady who you pay to hustle for you. That may not be the answer you're hoping to hear, but you'll probably be better off.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby IEatCats » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Not yet, unfortunately. I figured that we'd probably just have to keep up with the grind, but I do feel like we're starting to pick up a little momentum.

I just have to get our demos finished so we can send them out. I've made a couple of contacts in radio around NY that I should really work on getting some material to.

IEatCats

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:13 pm

How many shows have you played so far?
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:13 pm

have any friends in other bands who've toured?
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby IEatCats » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Chankgeez wrote:How many shows have you played so far?

Only 10-15 shows with the current lineup, and that's a bit generous. We're slow moving but have a public access show slot in early January.

space6oy wrote:have any friends in other bands who've toured?

One or two. I should bother them asking about how they got set up and signed sometime today while I'm bothering promotion companies/booking agencies today.

IEatCats

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Unless you think things are suddenly gonna start moving really fast for you guys, I think you might be putting the cart before the horse.

Your grass may need some deeper roots.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby IEatCats » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Absolutely how I feel about it. I'm just feeling optimistic today and wondering if anyone's had any experience with finding their own manager/agent from an early stage.

IEatCats

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:01 pm

Gotcha! :lol: Planning ahead is always good. :thumb:

Make lots of friends and then choose one to be your manager. That's my best advice. :!!!:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:19 pm

your band have anything online?
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby IEatCats » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:51 pm

space6oy wrote:your band have anything online?

A demo, a few selections from live sets, and some social media (facebook/instagram/a twitter that's just band names we come up with) i try to keep up on.

https://www.facebook.com/majorarcanana/
from there everything should be findable, if you were looking for actual links.

IEatCats

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:58 am

You dont need a manager until youre unable to manage everything thats coming in (agents, labels, interviews, sponsors, etc).

Managers generally have nothing to do with show promotion, that's the promoters job.

For a proper manager or a booking agent, expect a "dont call us, we'll call you".

Keep playing shows, keep bringing people out, make friends with other bands, give them a good reason to work for you.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Muff_Diver wrote:You dont need a manager until youre unable to manage everything thats coming in (agents, labels, interviews, sponsors, etc).

Managers generally have nothing to do with show promotion, that's the promoters job.

For a proper manager or a booking agent, expect a "dont call us, we'll call you".

Keep playing shows, keep bringing people out, make friends with other bands, give them a good reason to work for you.

yeah but
IEatCats wrote:we're way too fucking lazy

:lol:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to Music