Just Jazz!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Just Jazz!

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Wasn't necessarily trying to suggest that one had a direct influence on the other. Just that they were both drawing from the bottomless well that is the New Orleans jazz tradition. They're similar in that way. That's what I meant.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby shikawkee » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Wasn't necessarily trying to suggest that one had a direct influence on the other. Just that they were both drawing from the bottomless well that is the New Orleans jazz tradition. They're similar in that way. That's what I meant.

Ah! Gotcha'. For sure.

Henry has a Lacy tribute record of sorts in the can. Sounds amazing as usual.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Nice, you'll have to post links to it once it's out.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 pm

OMG that last page. Thank you to Chank and Dandolin for 'curating' so much cool stuff (on my behalf?). It won't go to waste. I will start making my way through it.

I still blows my mind that 1. I happened to put on the radio (I usually drive in silence or have specific CDs I want to listen to when I drive to my grandparent's house) 2. That the radio was playing the kind of Jazz I like (to be fair that is a lot of jazz but I have an affinity for the more avant-garde stuff [in general, across art and media] 3. I enjoyed it so much it stuck with me (for months, this was probably in August) 4. I wrote a really poor description on a site I visit frequently 5. Fucking Chank processes said poor description and gets what I was listening to right on the first try.

I told that story to my Uncle on Saturday and even he was flabbergasted (he remembers that weekend I even said, "I was listening to some awesome free jazz on the way up"). Thanks again guys!!!!
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 pm

;)
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:30 am

:group:

Henry Threadgill/Very Very Circus--Gateway

Henry Threadgill/Very Very Circus--Hope a Hope a

aaaaand Norristown to Philly to the world -- Mr. Jimmy Smith

Jimmy Smith--Hi-heel Sneakers (shout out to Len Barry two tracks down)

Jimmy Smith--Get Out My Life Woman (shout out to Allen Toussaint, Prince of New Orleans)
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:20 am

It took me a long time to find a copy of Julius Hemphill's Dogon A.D. forget how pricey it is, it's just hard to find originals. Same for the Black Artists Group and Bill Dixon Intents and Purposes. Well worth hearing these three gems though:

Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 pm

^Good stuff, we're fans! :!!!:

Maybe not be exactly what you wanna hear, $harky, but some nice Kenny Burrell & Coltrane stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uue1io35msQ
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Yeah, J. Hemphill is top shelf....

Here's one from the gooey center of the jazz continuum:

Phineas Newborn Jr.--Barbados

and from a little bit further out:

John Surman--How Many Clouds Can You See?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dapper Bandit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:19 am

Don't know if any of these have been touched upon but there has been a phenomonal jazz scene in England for a while now with a lot of very exciting stuff coming out:

Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Don't think any of those've been posted, Dapper Bandit, thanks. Will give a listen.

Dr. Smith isn't as trailblazin' an organist as the Smith dude that Dandolin posted above, but this's a nicely funky date w/ George Benson on guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISPmnaMXucE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:02 pm

:lol: Yaz--lot's to check out there Dapper Bandit, thanks (as you might glean from my posts in this thread I do keep an ear out for jazz from elsewhere than Philly the US....)

:group:

Love that Lonnie Chank! (and I do think it's just a little sad how thoroughly Good King Bad has plowed under consciousness of his barn-burning early career to raise a crop of quiet storm....)
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:13 pm

:lol:

Here's one, Dandolin, that should please both you and Syl. Max Roach & Odean Pope playing some standards!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si7CUXopN2w
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Oyez--love that version of Max's band. Was recently contemplating whether a little M'Boom would fit this thread....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Yeah, I :love: M'Boom and glad you posted some Henry Threadgill up in here too. He's totally underappreciated.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music