Grindcore and such

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Grindcore and such

Postby foomanfat » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Let's talk grindcore and deathcore and the like.
I've been indoctrinated by bands like Cult Leader, Gaza, Trap Them and that last Napalm Death record.
Finally got around to Magrudergrind. Also digging Torch Runner and Full Of Hell.
So... where should I go from here? Who's your go to grind?
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Grindcore and such

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:29 am

I always dug Final Exit (which I guess is noise grind), Denak, Discordance Axis (which, again, is probably a borderliner), and a few others. Used to kick it with Maggot Colony now-and-then and they were pretty awesome. Hummingbird of Death was awesome, but some people would probably call them fastcore or something else. (too many little categories). I dunno if I should throw Assuck and O.L.D. in there but they were awesome bands.

I'll go through my record collection and see if I can pick out some more gems (I have a ton of random stuff as I used to run with a few grinders down here).

I always tried to stay away from stuff like 2 minute Dreka (I think that is their name) and all that bad stuff....
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby daseb » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:41 am

yeah I'd back Assuck as grind.

Pig Destroyer are hit and miss and suck live, but Prowler in the Yard is a classic, and Terrifyer is a classic.

I love a lot of that 80s UK stuff, especially Heresy. Oh and Repulsion of course.

Of newer stuff I really like Iron Lung who are like a force of their own, Mellow Harsher, and Despise You whom I guess are all power violence but whatever.
daseb

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:46 am

Cult Leader was insane when I saw them live on their last tour.

I really love grindcore and powerviolence though. Agoraphobic Nosebleed is insane grind with digital drums. Iron Lung is more on the powerviolence side, but fucking awesome 2 piece. Sissy Spacek is a noise/grind band that shift between noise releases and noisecore between albums. Suffering Bastard was a short lived dual bass powerviolence band that ruled. RIP Insect Warfare. Water Torture is sick dual bass grind/powerviolence, I can't get enough of them. Sea of Shit is another good current grind/powerviolence band. Shitstorm from Miami.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:47 am

Fucking Brutal Truth man! Get onto that now!

Birdflesh are good fun party grind.
Nasum if you want seminal modern grind.
Rotten Sound.
Old Carcass.
General Surgery, If you like old carcass but want to be able to hear what's going on.
Very old Bolt Thrower.
Antigama if you want your head to explode.
Wormed: see above.
Fuck the facts are good clean fun.
Naked City if you want to be able to name drop famous dudes.

They're pretty much the bands that I listen to and enjoy. general surgery is super derivative - county medical examiners, exhumed. Lots of bands all doing the early carcass thing. But I like GS more than the others.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:49 am

Chinese cartoons and one of the best drummers in the grindcore "scene". Anything else?

Big fan of the Spanish bands too: Unsane Crisis, Denak, Looking for an Answer, Machetazo, Nashgul, Haemorrhage.

Yes, I had a @grindcore.com email account too. :hobbes:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:56 am

There's a whole bunch of other popular grind (ish) bands that I've left off that list because they are either redundant (or you can listen to them of you decide there's something cool that you want to hear more of) or because I just don't like them. Leng Tch'e are such an example. Can't understand why they're popular.

But fuck that list, go listen to Brutal Truth. Evolution through Revolution is not their classic work but it is perfection. Good place to start.

Oh yeah, Gadget are good and creative too.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby daseb » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:02 am

oh yeah I've heard some Machetazo stuff I dig for sure. Insect Warfare were great.

Great bands from my city; The Kill, Captain Cleanoff (well half of them live here now), Agents of Abhorrence (patchy, the demo is amazing, live they could kill it), Headless Death, Internal Rot.

This band blew my fragile teenage mind in the 90s.
daseb

experienced
experienced

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 am

Iron Lung was alright, but there were a ton of power violence bands I liked more.

The Spanish bands are awesome. I loved Nashgul but Denak was my favorite.

Gridlink I really love, but all my grinder buddies always told me they were part of that new crossover stuff like Voetsek (which, whatever, it was always kinda the same scene to me...just never know how strict people are being).

Unholy Grave was pretty good. Bathtub Shitter got old really fast (and there was a lot of hate for them for a long time). Brutal Truth was good stuff too.

Haha, might not have to go look through my stuff (I haven't had grind in my listening rotation for a long time except for some Denak and Gridlink here and there).

Phobia were terrible when I saw them. I think I was at some Insect Warfare release show in Lancaster or something? Never got into Anal Cunt but I liked some of Agorophobic Nosebleed.

Sore Throat and Gorgonized Dorks were fun. Gorgoized Dorks were pretty nice dudes too. Siege were awesome as was/is Drop Dead...

Powerviolence was more my thing...Crossed Out, MITB, Spazz, (some because some of it is terrible) Black Army Jacket, Lack of Interest, etc...

total fucking destruction? bloodred bacteria?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby daseb » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:07 am

tbh 90% of my love for Iron Lung is Jensen's comedy routine live.
daseb

experienced
experienced

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:16 am

daseb wrote:tbh 90% of my love for Iron Lung is Jensen's comedy routine live.

I think I just missed the boat with them or something (or never saw them live)...I dunno, powerviolence and grind were always a ton more fun live. Which is a plus because there are a ton of bands that are better on a record.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Joe Gress » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:48 am

Any Weekend Nachos?
awesome signature with witty quotes from all you fuckers :)
Joe Gress

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:01 am

Gridlink!

That's who I was trying to think of! Man, they are bonkers.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:03 am

D*I*E
Doom
Terrorizer
Brob
godstomper
Romantic Gorilla
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:11 am

Mudfuzz wrote:Terrorizer

As long as we pretend they only made world downfall...

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to Music