Live Acts You're Most Looking Forward To

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Live Acts You're Most Looking Forward To

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:16 pm

You're going to love WILCO. I'm not even a "fan" per say but I went to a show with some friends and they were impressive to say the least.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:25 pm

$harkToootth wrote:You're going to love WILCO. I'm not even a "fan" per say but I went to a show with some friends and they were impressive to say the least.

I've never been a huge fan in the past, but I've been listening to them more and more lately and I've been really enjoying them.

My buddy's girlfriend actually won the tickets to see them (his girlfriend is the type of person that wins tickets to everything. She literally picks and chooses which contests she enters because apparently the radio stations limit the number of contests you can win in a month. It's wild), but they just moved out to Nova Scotia and obviously won't be able to see Wilco in Toronto.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:33 pm

I think we all have a friend like that. They're luck magnets :lol:
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby doommeow » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:02 am

Just saw Thom Yorke/atoms for peace/tomorrow’s modern boxes in Laval. Bonkers.

Light show / projections / digital art like nothing I’ve ever seen. Like an apple ad got molested by the first Star Trek movie. Some sort of video synth maybe. Dunno. But was seriously impressed.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:48 am

Stereolab in DC was great! total fun from back to front. Laetitia looked lovely. the crowd was uber-stoked...at one point some dude in the balcony yelled "I'VE BEEN WAITING FOURTEEN YEARS FOR THIS EXACT MOMENT!!!" to which she replied "that's very patient of you." she actually talked Gane into doing a 3d song in the encore as he was already taking off the guitar. most fun i've had at a show since Gomez last summer.

tomorrow i'm off to Asheville, NC to see Ride. i need to pick up some earplugs, because apparently according to their label on Twitter "loud af warning in effect." :!!!:
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby MrNovember » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:13 am

doommeow wrote:Just saw Thom Yorke/atoms for peace/tomorrow’s modern boxes in Laval. Bonkers.

Light show / projections / digital art like nothing I’ve ever seen. Like an apple ad got molested by the first Star Trek movie. Some sort of video synth maybe. Dunno. But was seriously impressed.

I'm seeing this tonight!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:12 am

It's just unfair how amazing Derek Trucks is at guitar. Unfair.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Derek Trucks is amazing. His playing on hitting the note is amazing, and mega underrated.

Going to see Sebadoh tonight! Never seen Them, very excited.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:13 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Derek Trucks is amazing. His playing on hitting the note is amazing, and mega underrated.

YES! I used to think Tab Benoit was the best guitarist I've seen live (that was last Summer 2018). Derek Trucks is operating in a completely different multi-verse. Again, "Unfair" is the word. That kind of music is never my first choice to listen to in my spare time... I'm just trying to give credit where it is due.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 pm

meh. Derek has good technique but that alone doesn't make them to me.. I've just spent way too much time listening to blues... that type of playing is cool but there is too much missing, it's like a coffee table book, it's pretty and impressive to look at but in the end it's all glossy photos of coffee tables that a bunch of old people made.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:05 am

So Thom Yorke was alright. I was just a little disappointed that he leaned more into beats than synth/piano driven stuff. It was so refreshing to hear a solo piano rendition of Dawn Chorus at the end of a pretty techno heavy set.

Bon Iver on the other hand was probably in my top two favourite concert experiences! The light show/mirrors/whole stage setup was amazing and I love how everything they played was just a little different from the albums. He also played a few songs that I was totally not expecting to hear
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm

Breakdown of other artists I have seen recently:
Andrea Belfi (opened for Thom Yorke): forgot to mention this in my last post, but this guy was pretty cool. He did a synth/drums set where he was triggering all kinds of sequences and samples from his drum kit. It was really cool, but didn't quite make sense in a stadium. Would love to see him in a smaller, more intimate setting

Feist (opened for Bon Iver): I don't know much of her music outside Broken Social Scene, but her performance was actually really good despite butchering a Tragically Hip cover and the fact that she really needs a deeper voice to balance her really high singing. Her backing band was great!

Lord Huron (opened for Wilco): these guys were alright. At times they felt like they were trying to play on top of one another rather than playing together, but they had some catchy songs. Just not really my cup of tea.

Wilco: incredible performance! I went in not knowing too many of their songs, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Nels Cline is fantastic at layering glitchy loops on top of everything. It all felt so organic and natural. Been listening to their new album on repeat since Tuesday!

Modest Mouse: live show absolutely still holds up! Just as raw and awesome as I remember from when I last saw them, like, a decade ago? I think there was 10 of them on stage; ridiculous double drummer setup. Played a real mix of their whole catalogue too. I love that their setlist vary wildly every night.

Black Keys: not much to say other than they were just as generic and bland as I was expecting. Looked up their setlist after and they literally play the exact same songs in the exact same order every single night. Almost felt like a contractual obligation to keep people's pockets lined.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:15 pm

WOOOOOOOOOO
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:13 pm

very envious
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:15 am

$harkToootth wrote:Also, NJ/NYC bros... I'm going to this. Hmu if anyone wants to meet up. If you want to observe me from a distance, I will probably be wearing a Shania Twain T-Shirt under a button down jean shirt (that will be open, prominently displaying Shania.
[NOTE: I'm going cause it's $15 and I live like 20 minutes away... I WOULD NOT make the trek from out of state, unless you live on the border of PA and can hop on 78E quickly, or something. That's just me.]

I am very surprised with how awesome this was. Super far out. Saw a man play the cactus as an instrument (sound sources). Lots of CT5 action and particle v2.

Did not where my Shania Twain T-Shirt :cry: . If anyone was there I was the guy in the front in the red sweater and awful mustache. My new look is "raccoon with AIDS dressed like Mr. Rogers". Anyway... it was a great time!

Probably going to one of these nights. KILL ALTERS rule. I also want to see MACHINE GIRL one night.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music