The thread for all things shred.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The thread for all things shred.

Postby goroth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:53 am

Twangasaurus wrote:Pretty much everything I know about metal I've learnt here since I joined so congrats, you guys drastically changed my appreciation of da brootz. As a result though I pretty much only know Stoner/Doom, Black Metal and Mathcore bands. I also know that Djent really isn't for me, like ever forever.

Continue to teach me oh great professors of metal!

:thumb: :animal:

Well, this thread has already delivered a bunch of awesomeness outside of the genres you've mentioned.

First up you've got Sepultura, arguably at their peak. Iommic Pope has also managed to choose my all time favourite Sep song, so that worked out well. It was 1991, and you had this bunch of Brazilians taking thrash and death and a bit of tribal stuff, brewed with a sense of social injustice and young rage. Topped off by a rad Scott Burns production, which pretty much is the essence of early 90s death metal.

Then you've got Pantera. While best appreciated when you're in the age where you have more testosterone than sense, Pantera are still fucking awesome. Duders could all shred like nobody's business, but it was always subordinate to the groove and general badassery. Phil's singing influenced pretty much everyone who's ever tried to be tough since then.

Then he's gone and picked a cool but different Slayer tune. Slayer is to extreme metal what AC/DC is to rock, though perhaps less consistent. Again, they took the thrashy Bay Area sound of the early 80s and did it more evil. Atonal guitar solos, and Lombardo's awesome drumming. Thrashy deathy legends. Most dudes woulda picked something from Reign in Blood, or maybe South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss. Those three records are kinda Slayer's Powerslave/Somewhere in Time/Seventh Son. Props to the Pope for digging up a gem from outside of those three albums.

So that's your thrashy deathy stuff covered with Sepultura and Slayer, and groove with Pantera. All three bands are good springboards into other great stuff. My picks are just variations on that theme, with a bunch of death metal there. Nothing is essential listening. Will post some better death metal later.

D.o.S. has chipped in with some thrashy crossover punky fun. MLC posted arguably the originators of the genre with SOD.

Jrmy has chosen a super interesting band - they're kinda more influential in who they've influenced, rather than the stuff they've produced themselves. I could get lambasted for that though. I guess they kinda take bits of all of the above bands - a bit thrashy, a bit groovy, a bit punky, and they also added some industrial flavour to what they did. They're rad.

Which is a really nice segue into the Pope's next tune - Strapping Young Lad. They took everything good about industrial, everything good about metal, smashed them together and turned everything up to 11. City may in fact be the most brutal record ever ah... recorded. So fucking good.

So to summarise where we are thusfar:
Groovey stuff - listen to more Pantera and Prong.
Thrashy stuff - listen to more Slayer
Party time thrash - listen to more of D.o.S.'s and MLC's suggestions
Industrial - Prong and Strapping
Want to get started on Death Metal? Start with mid period Sepultura.

Note that these aren't necessarily the "classic" suggestions for listening, just summarising where the thread is at.

Djent can get fucked. Meshuggah invented and at the same time killed the genre. They are just too awesome, and in my mind no-one else has been able to come near what they've done. On the other hand, as the mighty Devin Townsend once said, all metal bands are just copying Meshuggah anyway. So when Devy gets a bit Meshugg-ish it's ok because it's filtered through his normal awesomeness and whatever, but when bands try to inhabit the same musical space as Meshuggah it inevitably just fails.

Best way to get into Meshuggah:
1) Play it loud as fuck
2) Don't try and find a melody in it
3) Fuck trying to understand the polyrhythms
4) Follow Haake's crash and high-hats and just mosh that shit in 4/4 and have fun
5) Make faces like Thordendal
repeat.

This is btw my favourite music video of any genre, of all time.

However the song that made me "get" Meshuggah was Rational Gaze. I remember Destroy Erase Improve coming out, but I was still listening mostly to thrash and groove stuff - Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, and of course Maiden. Always Maiden. And GnR. Because Axl. Needless to say I didn't understand shit of DEI and I didn't like it. Same thing with Chaosphere. But I had a friend who bought Nothing when it came out and we drove around in her car listening to it at full volume and all of a sudden the penny dropped. It was an awesome moment. And I haven't looked back. Best band ever, that isn't called Iron Maiden.

Just make sure you listen to it loud so that those 8 strings hit you in the face and the chest and everywhere else that soundwaves should hit you. And don't forget to follow the Five Easy Steps to Enjoying to Meshuggah™ above and you'll be right.

Don't forget step 6: Ignore all other djent.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:59 am

And what are we doing talking heavy without this?

Best band that isn't called Meshuggah or Iron Maiden. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(my wife always laughs at me for talking about "the best album/riff/song/solo I've ever heard - pretty sure most things I listen to end up being the best haha).
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Twangasaurus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:36 am

Haha thanks so much man, that really does help! Gonna get stuck into it. I have to say though that it's a bit weird getting into metal having pretty much ignored it in my teens, like I missed out a bit and I'm playing catch up. That being said my taste in music is much better and broader now and I'm probably angrier too (and about actual, real problems) than I was back then so maybe I just picked a time to jump on when I was actually able to appreciate it. Dunno.
Lobstrosity wrote:Dad-a-chum? Dod-a-chock?
Twangasaurus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:37 am

Oh my Dark Lord, gor. I want to have your babies.

You have said all there is to say there. So all I can do now is offer huge hugs.

On Slayer: Everyone picks that classic Slayer period you mentioned. Mostly because it is awesome.
But I always go for Divine Intervention or Diabolus in Musica, just to change it up, but also because they are totally underated and lost in the rhetoric of TRVE SLAYEEEEEEEEEEER by fuckheads who think that "knowing what the fuck is metal and what is shit " is about listening to a grand total of about 20 records, ad nauseum, and bitching about subgenres and any material that exists outside of their sphere of teenage hardcoreness and awkward sexual encounters and ensuing frustration, resulting in alcoholism and skullets.

BUT ALSO BECAUSE:

On Meshuggah:
RATIONAL GAZE!!!
Fuck, I love that song.
And yes, they made and unmade that whole area of metal.
I love seeing people try to mosh to Meshuggah live.

Deicide rule.

Gojira rule.

Devy rules.
City.
Unfh!

And this:

And this:

and then this:

this:

These, definitely:

And I've already gone on a tangent.

Someone post some Death or something.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:50 am

Nah man, metal's a funny thing. Unless you have someone around you to guide you through it and get you onto bigger and better things, a lot of the sort of more accessible metal (the kind that you often listen to as a teenager) just really isn't that representative of the genre, and it's just not that good. The aggression in metal is kinda like the icing on a cake, and a lot of those bands that you get hooked on as a young dude are just the icing, without any cake. And that's kinda the side of metal that most non-metalleros associate with the genre. Which in turn is why people say "oh... you haven't grown out of that yet?" when you're a 32 year old metal head. At which point I don't even bother explaining and just answer "nup".

ILF is so good for discovering new music. They're like the older brother super into <genre x> you never had. My tastes have broadened a lot since joining here.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:53 am

Dude, simultaneous post!! Separated by about 16000 kms as the satanic crow flies.

Death: OK!
The studio version has better sound, but this live version shows just how fucking unbelievable that band was. Chuck was the shit.

Also dude, Popey - all dem picks... so good!

edit 2:

Needs more Morbid Angel.

Fuck the haters, Domination rules.

Gonna stop monopolising this thread now.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:09 am

ILF is great for finding shit my lame ass would never stumble across.
And I definitely rethink my opinions and intial impressions of things based on ILFer's recommendations.

That was a pretty giid quality live clip, man.
Chuck WAS shred.

Simultaneous post.
Because

we are connected.
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:28 am

Morbid Angel has the worst live sound out of any ~3,000 seat headliner I've ever heard.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:41 am

D.o.S. wrote:Morbid Angel has the worst live sound out of any ~3,000 seat headliner I've ever heard.

Have you seen Mayhem live? If so, I don't want to even imagine Mobid angel.

I saw Mayhem at Wacken 2004 and 90% of the mix was hellhammer's triggered bass drums, loaded with a sample of corn popping, combined with some sort of sub bass that ate every other instrument in the mix. The remaining 10% of the mix was their goofball singer croaking something about despising the sun and wiping melting makeup out of his eyes while waving around the lamest homemade knife thing and cutting himself.

All of which served to make Hypocrisy's set after them the biggest fucking party ever. Awesome music, great mix, a bunch of swedes just lapping up the stinking hot German sun, and 40000 drunks hollering along to Roswell 47.

Which, while we're here, was the first real extreme metal tune I fell in love with. That and Hammer Smashed Face. I'll never forget rewinding ace Ventura over and over again just to catch a glimpse of that half time breakdown thing. Hnnnng!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:08 am

Haven't seen Mayhem. MA was just 110% Azgarth's guitar in the PA, and that dying cat tone sounds fucking awful anyway, never mind live. David Vincent is really imposing in person, and Pete Sandoval is a machine, but there was nothing enjoyable about listening to them.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrmy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:50 pm

I always assume that my taste in metal is totally out of date, so thanks Goroth!

The other metal I've been cranking nearly nonstop has been Kvelertak. Again, no idea how they're regarded, but they totally won me over opening for Mastodon and Gojira - they were the first band on the bill in a city where nobody knew them and no-one in the audience spoke the language, and they had the crowd in the palm of their hand by the middle of the set. It was pretty damned amazing.

I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:33 pm

I was getting around to where the slime live.
Beat me to it!

Kvelertak are quite the goodness.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby magiclawnchair » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:45 pm

for those that are unfamiliar with SOD they were a side project of Scott Ian and Charlie Benante from Anthrax, Dan Lilker original bassist of Antharx and Nuclear Assault, and Anthrax roadie Billy Milano. the album posted was their first from 1985. hardcorethrashpunk from NYC, or something like that. good example of shredding riffs. :idk:

matt pike might be a little too sloppy to truly shred; just dont tell me high on fire is stoner rock!!! :evil:

then there is this goof!

I FUCKING LOVE SEPULTURA!!! Max's book is interesting but its his book. here is a real cool interview/video from before Arise was recorded. :rock:
:flame:
"You sir, broke my speakers." - Jero
"I'll be the short-haired dummy headbanging like I've still got my old metal hair over in the corner." - jrmy
"And if you're going to sell something why not come and chat for a while... :( " - smile_man
"GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!" - ST :animal:
http://soundcloud.com/magiclawnchair
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicLawnChair
http://www.myspace.com/owlcambridge
shop http://fuzzhugger.com/fhfx.html today! :poke:
magiclawnchair

FUZZHEROSAURUS
FUZZHEROSAURUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Something slightly different:

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:05 pm

All riffs should sound like this.

Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music