What can you tell me about Just Intonation?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What can you tell me about Just Intonation?

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:38 am

D.o.S. wrote:And lo, like the Krautrock thread and the dub thread before it, the Just Intonation became third in the holy trinity of threads where D.o.S. and Chank post youtube videos back and forth periodically.

:lol: There's nothing wrong with that. I usually enjoy listening to what you're listening to. :rock:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:57 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:44 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Probably not in Just Intonation, but (maybe) deserves to be here anyway?

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Yeah, I think this's in JI:

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby morange » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Guys, relax, it's just intonation.

:cool:
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:21 am

first off

context..

note the lack or frets, electronic pitch correction or robots enslaving man kind to the beat of miley cyrus...
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:35 am

NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:Probably not in Just Intonation, but (maybe) deserves to be here anyway?

Chankgeez wrote:Yeah, I think this's in JI:

Playing these at the same time is the shiT!
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:22 am

Blackened Soul wrote:... to the beat of miley cyrus...

Funny you should mention that, I know Miley's drummer. :D

Blackened Soul wrote:
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:Probably not in Just Intonation, but (maybe) deserves to be here anyway?

Chankgeez wrote:Yeah, I think this's in JI:

Playing these at the same time is the shiT!

:lol: I'll have to try that.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 am

BACK FROM THE DEAD:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:02 am

i am not at all well educated about just intonation, but i know that a lot of northern Thai music uses the 7TET system, which for me is really beautiful. Specifically the instrument called ซึง, or sometimes translated into 'sueng' in english. Most videos on youtube use it in a very commercial way, but my favourite use of it is in really sad local folk songs. Also i like funeral songs played with the แคน instrument, but that has nothing to do with your subject of tuning because that is from the northeast and usually uses traditional western scales and tuning
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks for posting Ibarakishi!!! I don't know if I'm watching the wrong videos but I hear a lot of links between American Bluegrass and this instrument! Crazy!!! I love Eastern Tradition instruments because of {what I perceive as) dissonance. 'Wow that sounds dissonant!" when in reality, it's that culture's version of a folk song :lol:
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:25 am

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:21 pm

[quote="Chankgeez"]Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2RuVocbq-I

Because I like that Sublime Frequencies comp. :love:

Chankgeez, this is the northeastern music, from a place called ISAN. It uses the แคน and also another instrument a lot that is popular called พิณ. I think you would love the พิณ. here is a link to look at them on ebay ->
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html_odkw=ph ... i&_sacat=0

these instruments are popular only really in that region (or i guess you would say everyone knows them from there, they are famous for being ISAN)

I like the song at around 34 minutes i think on the video you shared here. this is the type of music i am talking about for ISAN music that i like a lot. I like the type that is very heavy with drone and is instrumental, or has two instruments playing counterpoints off each other.

the ซึง is not in ISAN music though. It is northern music. This is one example that i could find quickly. You can really hear the difference in the tuning i think because of the ซึง
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:30 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Thanks for posting Ibarakishi!!! I don't know if I'm watching the wrong videos but I hear a lot of links between American Bluegrass and this instrument! Crazy!!! I love Eastern Tradition instruments because of {what I perceive as) dissonance. 'Wow that sounds dissonant!" when in reality, it's that culture's version of a folk song :lol:

no problem haha. I understand what you mean, but i think that is only true in the more commercial or 'country' style of playing over here. Once you get into really local songs and more traditional things, it becomes more and more distant from anything close to Bluegrass. Especially once you listen to actual religious ceremonies using these instruments too. For me, that is kind of the abstract end point of these instruments, which is kind of the opposite for Christianity and how the church used/uses music.

I understand what you mean about dissonant sound too. It is interesting to me, because if you talk to the really old generation here, they think that western pop music sounds like dissonance to them haha. I think for me personally, the 7TET system and 12TET of europe is not strange or dissonant really. But the further up you go in this system, like 24TET or something extreme like that, the closer you approach just natural noise that you would find in nature. Which at that point, i guess why not just use field recordings of nature itself? haha
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Music