how do you get your music?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: how do you get your music?

Postby opivy3056 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:38 pm

PumpkinPieces wrote:
my bloody television wrote: It creates a social experience which I think is lost with "music ADD" when people just get up and change the song in their itunes library after 30 seconds.

I absolutely hate it when people do that, especially if its my fucking car stereo. :mad: One time my friend and his girlfriend were in my car and he's like "this music (violent femmes) isn't rocking enough, lets put in icky thump." I said "if you're going to change it, put any white stripes BUT icky thump in, its my least favorite album of theirs." so he puts De Stijl in, which is an excellent choice, but he skips the first song!!! What an ass. :lol: :grumpy:

I have friends who cant even listen to an entire song before skipping to another track by a different artist. Its one of the most annoying fucking things people can do. Especially in my own car.

But yeah I agree with PP. I buy cd's and then import them onto itunes. I like things with mass. Peices of cyberspace arent as cool. :animal:
It's cool to have an mp3 of my cds library because I can buy cd's for my girlfriend too and I still get to listen to them whenever I want because we upload to the same computer.
opivy3056

involved
involved

Postby Mighty Tom » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Anybody else find it funny that this thread was started by a guy calling himself "Pirate"?
The fuzz is where the flavor is.

Mighty Tom

involved
involved

Postby V0id » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:49 am

I use to download it. I will not pay 20+$ for an album that i don't even know if i'll like. When i want to support a band, i might buy their albums or just take a fly and go to a show (not many bands coming to spain...). I will NOT support corporations, and downloading music will just wipe out all that bastards who take music as a business.
It's kinda ironic, because the last albums i bought were NIN Ghosts (i have 2 copies :idk: ...) and The slip. Which you could download "legally".
By the way, in europe, it's totally legal to have a copy of copyrighted material (except for software) without having the original, but the copy must have been made from an original one.

... Of course... the physical copy is way better, but that's just about hedonism.

And about the best music format... I really enjoyed the sound from mini disc. Nowadays, the best is probably flac through a good audio system. If you're playing your music through some desktop speakers it doesn't matter if it's a cd or a 34536mb/s digital format... it WILL sound like shit.
www.myspace.com/mudpix -> Shitty noisy stoner grunge whatever
V0id

committed
committed

Postby ChrisDN » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:02 pm

I either download it or listen on LastFM or whatever to see if I generally like it. Then I purchase if I do.
ChrisDN

committed
committed

Postby metalmariachi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:32 am

usually I buy the CD, I like to touch things.
And there are the cover art and liner notes.

That being said, my daughter just burned me a disk of her current I tunes picks.
So I guess I'm a pirate of sorts too.

MM
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gopherbassist » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:24 am

CDs. I wan't to own music, not digits. Plus, what happens if my hard drive fails? I can take scratches out of CD, I can't get anything back from a HD crash.

Speaking of how we get music... Does anyone know where I can dl "Levels" and "Tribute" by Nonpoint? My computer refuses to rip them from my immaculate CD :mad: WMA Lossless is preferred.
︻┳テ=一
Gopherbassist

committed
committed

Postby basti moon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:40 am

Cd's are digital... :facepalm:

The cutting of high and low frequencies are in most cases the same as on cd's, but there are some other factors involved that I won't pretend to know about. Seems every years there's a mythbusting of people able to hear the "difference" in matters like these.
Hope that doesn't sound too rude. I have read some boring theories about how the quantization of audio might make your brain or ears tired. It sounded quite vague, but might have truth in it.

I agree with most of you on the sentiment of having something physical to contain the music, although giving out mp3 or flac releases is much more convenient for artists (the ones I like anyway), so I try to support that system as much as I can. Maybe it will change into something better even. I'm thinking, not like music videos following the release, not like a slideshow of album art, but something in that area? Artwork/visualization? Could be pretty tacky. Whatever it will be, NIN or Brain Eno is probably working around the clock on it as we speak.

Vinyl is awesome. It smells good too.

Maybe all my pro-mp3/flac views come from the fact that I am a student in a foreign country and can't move around a cd or vinyl collection even half the size of the favourites in my mp3 collection.
basti moon

committed
committed

Postby Pirate » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:20 pm

Mighty Tom wrote:Anybody else find it funny that this thread was started by a guy calling himself "Pirate"?

I buy my music
Pirate

committed
committed

Postby cloudscapes » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:52 pm

I still buy CDs and occasionally vinyl. I like having the choice to encode it in whatever formwat and bitrate I want. Also, a third of them usic I buy these days is friend's music and I liek to support them by buying their CDR/CD. They often spend a lot of tiem on the sleeve.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Previous

Return to Music