Anybody remember SMILE?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Anybody remember SMILE?

Postby sev » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:57 pm

This was one of my favorite bands from the nineties. Such a shame they never got bigger.
It came up because that band Torche has moments that reminds me of them.
I saw them live a couple times....dude had the sickest BUZZY fuzz tone. Great drummer too.

They put out two full lengths......this was the single from the first LP. They got poppier on the second LP....in a good way. If you see either CD, get it.

Last edited by sev on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WILL DRUM FOR FOOD
sev

committed
committed

Re: Anybody remember SMILE?

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:15 pm

Talk about the voice not matching the face. Sounds vaguely familiar.....probably because I was only four or five.....

Cool fuzz tones though!
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby jrmy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:39 am

:eek: Whoa! :eek: - how did I miss them the first time around? They were right up my proverbial alley. I agree with PP about the look / sound disconnect. But yeah, the tonez is nuts!

Do you remember the name of either album? I'd be tempted to look them up on iTooons...
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sev » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:05 pm

jrmy wrote::eek: Whoa! :eek: - how did I miss them the first time around? They were right up my proverbial alley. I agree with PP about the look / sound disconnect. But yeah, the tonez is nuts!

Do you remember the name of either album? I'd be tempted to look them up on iTooons...

The first LP is "Maquee"....great, rocking record. Great production and raw fuzz tones. Most of the songs are better/more interesting than the single.
If you can find this CD, get it.

The second LP is "Girl Crushes Boy"......less heavy, and more of a power-pop record. Very good record as well. I was surprised this record didn't see more attention back then.

Neither of these are on iTunes. All they have is a collection of demos and live stuff called "1993".

You CAN find the CDs on Amazon. I highly recommend the USED CD option on Amazon. You can often find stuff you've been looking for really cheap.
You're really just buying a used CD from some mom & pop business.....but Amazon is the middle man.....you pay Amazon, then the CD ships from the mom & pop shop.
WILL DRUM FOR FOOD
sev

committed
committed

Postby ifeellikeatourist » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:53 pm

hlysht! How did these guys not explode? The grunge era must not have been ready for such heaviness...
goroth wrote:Most builders are content on reproducing the same crap. Which is fine. Most guitarists want the same crap.
ifeellikeatourist

experienced
experienced

Postby smile_man » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:43 am

PumpkinPieces wrote:Talk about the voice not matching the face.

:evil:
http://tsunshining.bandcamp.com/ - jamz
http://www.jamiecoxxx.tumblr.com - art jamz
zackv wrote:stop fooling around and shell out the 320$

SPACERITUAL wrote:SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITUAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
smile_man

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby arotothen » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:55 pm

I don't remember Smile at all, and soon I hope to never remember of ioncewrestledabearactuallyitwasourbassplayer I kinda liked that Smile vid, but IDK.

Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man, but I just can't stand when I see bitches jumping on the bandwagon, no matter how playful they are about it.

I mean, how much uninspired hardcore music does the world need, REaLLY?!?!?!?!?! :mad:

p.s. yeah, they have creative breakdowns, but 15% interesting doesn't make up for 85% IDGAS.
My band; Counter Cosby!!!
arotothen

interested
interested

Postby sev » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:33 pm

arotothen wrote:I don't remember Smile at all, and soon I hope to never remember of ioncewrestledabearactuallyitwasourbassplayer I kinda liked that Smile vid, but IDK.

Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man, but I just can't stand when I see bitches jumping on the bandwagon, no matter how playful they are about it.

I mean, how much uninspired hardcore music does the world need, REaLLY?!?!?!?!?! :mad:

p.s. yeah, they have creative breakdowns, but 15% interesting doesn't make up for 85% IDGAS.

Well....first, listen to a Smile album.
THEN judge how inspired or not you think they are.
(The single is always the easiest pill to swallow, and their case is no different.)

As far as being a grumpy old man.....I can just about guarantee that I'm older than you are.........just maybe not as grumpy? :idk:
WILL DRUM FOR FOOD
sev

committed
committed

Postby arotothen » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:17 pm

NO! I wasn't talking about Smile, I thought that vid was kinda good!

I was bitching about that iwrestledabearonce vid that smile_man posted in response to Jared thinking the guy's voice didn't match his face.

I would actually like to listen to all of Smile's music.

I do not, however, want to listen to anymore of iwrestlestehbeartime.
My band; Counter Cosby!!!
arotothen

interested
interested

Postby sev » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:24 pm

arotothen wrote:NO! I wasn't talking about Smile, I thought that vid was kinda good!

I was bitching about that iwrestledabearonce vid that smile_man posted in response to Jared thinking the guy's voice didn't match his face.

I would actually like to listen to all of Smile's music.

I do not, however, want to listen to anymore of iwrestlestehbeartime.

Gotcha. :wow what a fantastic idea you have there:
WILL DRUM FOR FOOD
sev

committed
committed

Return to Music