BLACK METAL THREAD

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: BLACK METAL THREAD

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 pm

WeHuntKings wrote:Been liking a lot of the newer American stuff recently. It's farther removed from some of the more unsavory aspects of the second-wave stuff, i.e. nazism and general fuckery. I think the music of Burzum is incredibly original and genre-defining, but its hard for me to listen to sometimes because of what I know about Varg Vikernes.

Filosofem is a kickass album though. So harsh and unforgiving.

Love Filosofem as well but I have to agree, Varg is a fucking lunatic. Not even because he killed Euronymous, Euronymous seemed to be just a huge pussy. But Varg's heathen ideals are just fucking dumb, he's racist, homophobic, and self-absorbed.

Not huge in to Black Metal but have been listening to it more often:

Mayhem's Chimera is also a pretty damn good album to check out but Gorgoroth's Under the Sign of Hell is easily my favorite :thumb:
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fungalattack » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm

NSFW: show

Archgoat - finnish black metal. one of the few bands that gets better with every release. They really blew me away at maryland death fest this year.

I love how the bass resonates in this song. The bass puts me into a trance where I contemplate my life as I know it.

Blasphemy is one of my favorite bands because they are so fucking weird. The production sounds like absolute shit but it has some sick twisted charm to it. Blackdeath all the way. Keep up the primitive blasting and really bad timing! brooootal! honestly this transformed my life

keep the primitive blasting blasting away at full force.

this thread makes me so happy! :hug:
Last edited by fungalattack on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzz, reverb, delay.

http://dridge.bandcamp.com/
fungalattack

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 pm

NIFELHEIM IS THE SHIT
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GardenoftheDead » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 am

Nihill, Fell Voices and Ash Borer have been in my playlists for a while. I also adore Xasthur up-to-and-including Subliminal Genocide.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby erector » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:47 am

Really into Ash Borer (CANNOT WAIT for the new album), Fell Voices (split with Ash Borer fucking slays) and Deathspell Omega as of late (DROUGHT!!!!). And, of course, the Antediluvian that Skullservant posted (Through the Cervix of Hawaah is such a good album).

Also have to admit that I'm really into that whole perhaps-slightly-hip(ster) punky (musically and/or aesthetically) raw black metal thing. Y'know all those (American) bands that followed in the wake of/mine the same musical vein as Bone Awl. Ives, Willing Feet, Ancestors (the Mark McCoy one), Raspberry Bulbs, Horrid Cross (faves), etc. (uh this might have something to do with my not-really-ironic-at-all love for MYSTERY GUY HARDCORE)

Owl's Blood are pretty killer:

Jerk Kerouac (harsh noise)
Kalimantan (improv not-jazz shambles)
ZDICM (space-drone-synth-thing)
erector

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 am

skullservant wrote:NIFELHEIM IS THE SHIT

Nifelheim are rad! Per and Erik Gustavsson are more famous in Sweden for their love for Iron Maiden than they are for Nifelheim. They're known as Bröderna Hårdrock - The Hard Rock Brothers. There's a sweet documentary clip of them and they say some classic stuff. I can't find anything with English subtitles. Even if you don't watch the whole thing, 4:37 is classic.

Everything is quotable, but here are some classics
0:59: You've got to have ear plugs, your hearing has to be in perfect nick
1:20: Talking on the phone - "we're going to see Iron Maiden... in Denmark... Iron Maiden THEMSELVES... have you heard the new album? Dude, it's the best thing that has ever been done"
2:03 - Fuck, there's a lot of horses out today
2:15 - Shit, this is a real hard rock car... you can hardly get more metal than a black Pontiac with flames on it
3:21 - (looking at Live After Death poster) - that has got to be amongst the most beautiful things I've seen in my life - soooo fucking good. Shit, this is probably the best looking picture you can see, give or take.
9:42 (what do you like about Iron Maiden) First and foremost, it's the fact that they're the best

This quote is so good it gets un-NSFW'd
5:34 - (talking about girls) I usually do small tests some times, and put on their own albums, the heaviest that they have... they don't even know what the fuck they own themselves... once, there was this chick who said "what's that shit you've put on?" - I turned it off, and it was her own cd that she claimed she liked the day before, and then, I just think they're so dumb that I almost passed out

:D

Oh yeah, a Nifelheim vid - Storm of the Reaper
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:57 am

Can't believe I haven't posted any of this yet! Trippy proggy black...

Arcturus, Borknagar, Solefald, Vintersorg, Isahn's solo stuff and to represent the world outside of Scandinavia, Unexpect and Ephel Duath

So much good music in this thread - going to keep me on a black metal bender for at least a week!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby skullservant » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 am

erector wrote:Also have to admit that I'm really into that whole perhaps-slightly-hip(ster) punky (musically and/or aesthetically) raw black metal thing. Y'know all those (American) bands that followed in the wake of/mine the same musical vein as Bone Awl. Ives, Willing Feet, Ancestors (the Mark McCoy one), Raspberry Bulbs, Horrid Cross (faves), etc. (uh this might have something to do with my not-really-ironic-at-all love for MYSTERY GUY HARDCORE)

I'm not really a fan of the music but more-so the primitive nature and 'intent' of keeping things as basic as possible that these bands seem to share.

While we are on the subject of Youth Attack bands, I DO, however, enjoy Grinning Death's head:

Their most recent cassette was a fairly entertaining listen.
Last edited by skullservant on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby erector » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:55 am

Yep, I quite like Grinning Death's Head too. The early stuff is good, if not exactly spectacular, but Golden Dawn, the most recent tape, is, I think, above average, and quite good.
erector

committed
committed

Postby jfrey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 am

erector wrote:Really into Ash Borer (CANNOT WAIT for the new album)

Can't wait? It was released August 14th.

I have it. It's really good.
D.o.S. wrote:You're like a walking Mad Men episode.

BitchPudding wrote:DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, LORD JFREY.

friendship wrote:one cool thing about living is that things get worse and worse and worse until you die

My music rec Twitter: https://twitter.com/MostlyEssential
jfrey

Supporter
Supporter

Postby erector » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:02 am

jfrey wrote:
erector wrote:Really into Ash Borer (CANNOT WAIT for the new album)

Can't wait? It was released August 14th.

I have it. It's really good.

OH SHI--

It was supposed to be "cannot wait for the new album to arrive." Living halfway across the planet does mean occasionally long waits for stuff to arrive. Any day now, I hope.
erector

committed
committed

Postby jfrey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 am

Ah I see.
D.o.S. wrote:You're like a walking Mad Men episode.

BitchPudding wrote:DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, LORD JFREY.

friendship wrote:one cool thing about living is that things get worse and worse and worse until you die

My music rec Twitter: https://twitter.com/MostlyEssential
jfrey

Supporter
Supporter

Postby erector » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am

Yuh.

Is it as good as "Descended Lamentations" would lead me to believe?
erector

committed
committed

Postby MaxMaps » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Joe Gress wrote:Can't say I enjoy much black metal, but a recent one that I really have come to enjoy is Deafheaven. Not true kvlt or whatever, but they sound damn awesome.

this is fucking incredible
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GardenoftheDead » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Also, the Ruins of Beverast
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Music