Trolling For (i)Toonz...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Trolling For (i)Toonz...

Postby glitch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:38 am

What new music have you purchased/downloaded/stolen lately?

Turn us on to what cool tunes you've just discovered.
glitch

involved
involved

Re: Trolling For (i)Toonz...

Postby glitch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:26 am

I've been on a bit of an iTunes binge lately, mostly picking up stuff I used to have on vinyl ("Infected", The The) or finally getting around to legally purchasing stuff that I'd already grabbed via p2p ("Geogaddi", Boards of Canada). However, in the process, I discovered a couple of albums by groups I used to be a fan of, but who I thought had faded into obscurity.

Comsat Angels, "My Minds Eye". The Comsats put out three utterly brilliant pop records on Polydor during the early '80's ("Waiting for a Miracle", "Sleep No More", and "Fiction"). After they switched to the Jive and Island labels though, all their albums became utter shite. I'd written off anything produced after 1982. More fool me. "My Minds Eye", was released in 1992 -- after the four crap albums they produced during the latter '80's -- and represents a return to their earlier style. Like early Cure, this is dark atmospheric pop driven by reverb-drenched guitars and minimalistic synths. The catchy hooks leave you walking away with their melodies stuck in your head.

"Why Call It Anything", The Chameleons (UK). Slightly less catchy, but no less atmospheric is this reunion album by another neo-psychedelic band of the 1980's. Years ago, I discovered their "Script of the Bridge" album because several people compared the sound of the band I played in with The Chameleons. But it wasn't until 1987's "Strange Times" that I really synced up with them and, not surprisingly, that disc went on heavy rotation at our house. Unfortunately, The Chameleons called it quits after that album (and I'm still peeved that it's still unavailable on iTunes). However, it looks like they re-united in 2001 to record "Why Call It Anything". While not as catchy as "Strange Times"-era material, it still has their trademark pop sensibilities and lots of echoing chorused guitars. Having almost forgotten about them, it's nice to get re-introduced to that genre all over again. Since it only matches their early work (as opposed to their best work) it's a less memorable find as the Comsats record above, but still a nice album.

-- glitch.@#$%!
_______
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of murder... later"

Devi-esque: E13 TBD, Torn's Peaker, Feed Back Loop Oscillator, Synth Mangler; Devi OK, BIT, ND, 25, 05/25, Hype, US, JP, PEEP's
glitch

involved
involved

Return to Music