Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am

goroth wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:All right. It's August 2018. I remain totally fucking awful at keeping up with new music.

What I haven't missed (that you may have and should rectify):
Image


Y'all know the deal. I'm sure I've listened to not Bruce Springsteen this year. Will post shortly.

Short list so far, no links because on mobile:


Churchburn - None Shall Live​.​.​. The Hymns of Misery

Blawan - Wet Will Always Dry

ILL - We Are ILL

GNOD - Chapel Perilous

Anthroprophh - Omegaville

Bongripper - Terminal

The new sleep record
NSFW: show
for easy reference:
Image

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote:
Ugly Nora wrote:People are starting to realize that a large amount of pedals wont make up for a small amount of talent and instead have started focusing on fundamentals like playing in tune.

He said, randomly hitting pots and pans into a looper and a delay.
D.o.S.

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 28193
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Ewe-Kay

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby goroth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 am

Does anyone know if you can access spotify statistics apart from that years end summary thing?
I should just keep a list of great music... but all my playlists are great so :idk:
D.o.S. wrote:Slow down there Hall & Nopes that's a lot of melons for a meatbox.

Debut album droppedJan 5. Fuck yeah. http://open.spotify.com/album/0vXjnDeyPNfeXWNvQRYP1H
My band /// Instagram ///Facebook ///
goroth

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 11273
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am
Location: Eurothrash: Frozen northern outpost.

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby IEatCats » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:33 pm

goroth wrote:Does anyone know if you can access spotify statistics apart from that years end summary thing?
I should just keep a list of great music... but all my playlists are great so :idk:

I use last.fm religiously for this. I just run the app on my phone and it tracks my plays on google music.

Image
My top 9 new releases so far this year.

I didn't realize Sleep put something out this year, though. Def going to have to check that out.
maz91379 wrote:this board is really weird sometimes bros

Amissoteomb wrote:Modern technology makes the process of purchasing erection pills even simpler and swifter than before.
IEatCats

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2785
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm

I've only listened like 3 and I love them all:

Autechre - NTS
Beach House - 7
Giraffes? Giraffes! - Memory Lame
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."


PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 am
Location: Tijuana

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby kbit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Image

https://palmnewyork.bandcamp.com/album/rock-island

Image

https://westmineral.bandcamp.com/album/ ... t-ouest099

I gotta dig into that Autechre release sometime soon, and I'm excited for the new Tim Hecker record coming out later this year.

D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11445
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby rustywire » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:48 am

Bumpy Knuckles - Pop Duke Vol 1
Doctor Octagon - Moosebumps: An Exploration Into Modern Day Horripilation
J-Zone - Guerilla Drums

Excited bigly for new Aphex Twin Collapse EP next month :snax:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
Image
rustywire

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4659
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:54 am
Location: on.

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby Mudfuzz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Ok so far going by the posts in this thread... anyone find something that I can't say "this sounds just like this"?
I liked GNOD, Anthroprophh, Giraffes? but I've heard stuff just like it.. :idk: I'd say the same for everything I've came across this year, some I like but it either was a band I already liked or someone copying a band I already liked.
Mudfuzz

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 16441
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: The gloomy lands of the northwest

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Nothing is original anymore? :p I would try but I'm sure everything I find that sounds original to me is probably a rip-off of a band I've never heard of yet. :lol:

Things I can remember off the top of my head so far this year (except a bunch of stuff I can't remember right now (so it must have been great)):

Ill (which is super un-original but fun and I don't care at all)

Gigafauna (it's goroth's band and it's a good album)

Zeal and Ardor is pretty good.
Good deals with: AngryGoldfish, Officer Bukowski, casterbro, amnesiac305, Achtane, Snufkino, Tom Dalton, DarkAxel, JamesSGBrown, casperh7, Tristan, intothegroove, Gigahearts_FX, alalalkasar, nightterrors, Schlatte, Dandolin, jskadiang, laekna, biftaclyro, maortojn, oscillateur

some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck


I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/releases
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 7879
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby tremolo3 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:00 am

Mudfuzz wrote:Ok so far going by the posts in this thread... anyone find something that I can't say "this sounds just like this"?


Mind sharing more like NTS sessions by Autechre? :drool:
I'm not really into IDM, so legit question, but so far I haven't found anything like it, at least none of the "big" names.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."


PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 am
Location: Tijuana

Re: "original"

Postby rustywire » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:27 am

fwiw I prefer fresh to original in music, which seems a more realistic goal for someone building toward M. Gladwell's 10,000hrs, with determination for "sounding good" rather than "being original". When a song or recording appreciates with replay value, is it more because of the former or latter? Also perhaps a topic for another thread: there's an interesting duality between remaining original and changing with the times, evolution


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxnQ1vv_CW8
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
Image
rustywire

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4659
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:54 am
Location: on.

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:05 pm

tremolo3 wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:Ok so far going by the posts in this thread... anyone find something that I can't say "this sounds just like this"?


Mind sharing more like NTS sessions by Autechre? :drool:
I'm not really into IDM, so legit question, but so far I haven't found anything like it, at least none of the "big" names.

check out: Gescom, Chris Carter [solo stuff and coil], AFX, Polygon Window [ ;) ], The Tuss,The Future Sound of London :idk:
Mudfuzz

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 16441
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: The gloomy lands of the northwest

Re: "original"

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:09 pm

rustywire wrote:fwiw I prefer fresh to original in music, which seems a more realistic goal for someone building toward M. Gladwell's 10,000hrs, with determination for "sounding good" rather than "being original". When a song or recording appreciates with replay value, is it more because of the former or latter? Also perhaps a topic for another thread: there's an interesting duality between remaining original and changing with the times, evolution

true maybe another thread someday but no I'm not asking for world changing, i understand styles are styles but what i am at is not where i can go well this song is like this song mixed with this song, because if you are just to sound good you might as well record covers.
Mudfuzz

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 16441
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: The gloomy lands of the northwest

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
tremolo3 wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:Ok so far going by the posts in this thread... anyone find something that I can't say "this sounds just like this"?


Mind sharing more like NTS sessions by Autechre? :drool:
I'm not really into IDM, so legit question, but so far I haven't found anything like it, at least none of the "big" names.

check out: Gescom, Chris Carter [solo stuff and coil], AFX,The Future Sound of London :idk:


Mmm pretty good and indeed similar to (old) Autechre shit but nope, I'll give the rest a shot though, thanks!
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."


PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 am
Location: Tijuana

Re: Be(a)st records of the year 2018 edition

Postby goroth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:59 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:
Gigafauna (it's goroth's band and it's a good album)

:hug: :hug: :hug:
D.o.S. wrote:Slow down there Hall & Nopes that's a lot of melons for a meatbox.

Debut album droppedJan 5. Fuck yeah. http://open.spotify.com/album/0vXjnDeyPNfeXWNvQRYP1H
My band /// Instagram ///Facebook ///
goroth

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 11273
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am
Location: Eurothrash: Frozen northern outpost.

Re: "original"

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
rustywire wrote:fwiw I prefer fresh to original in music, which seems a more realistic goal for someone building toward M. Gladwell's 10,000hrs, with determination for "sounding good" rather than "being original". When a song or recording appreciates with replay value, is it more because of the former or latter? Also perhaps a topic for another thread: there's an interesting duality between remaining original and changing with the times, evolution

true maybe another thread someday but no I'm not asking for world changing, i understand styles are styles but what i am at is not where i can go well this song is like this song mixed with this song, because if you are just to sound good you might as well record covers.

I always set out to write stuff that's different, then finish it and think "hey this is x crossed with y" so I'm sympathetic to other people who do that. :lol: :idk:
Good deals with: AngryGoldfish, Officer Bukowski, casterbro, amnesiac305, Achtane, Snufkino, Tom Dalton, DarkAxel, JamesSGBrown, casperh7, Tristan, intothegroove, Gigahearts_FX, alalalkasar, nightterrors, Schlatte, Dandolin, jskadiang, laekna, biftaclyro, maortojn, oscillateur

some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck


I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/releases
coldbrightsunlight

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 7879
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: UK


Return to Music



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.