Um, when did this happen? (AKA "the original D v. R LP")

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Um, when did this happen?

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Just browsing around for 5 minutes and this site is gonna have to do some major work to appeal to anyone outside the record store day vinyls crowd wanting to hock some bullshit at bullshit prices.

Discogs serves a true function for nerds. A market place is basically two steps backwards if it doesn’t offer the amount of resources discogs does, and considering the obscene amount of work it’s contributors have done I don’t see anyone jumping ship without a major incentive. Most discogs people have been there for years as well, so there’s little incentive.....

tl,dr I didn’t spend weeks of my life cataloging thousands of kvlt records to use some other site.....
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Interesting.. sorta... would be more interested if it was a site where you could trade those shitty useless fuzz pedal things for obscure goth and doom records or something :idk:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:21 pm

reckon luck wrote:It'll be hard for Reverb LP to ever get the kind of traffic that places like Ebay and Discogs get, methinks.

retinal orbita wrote:Just browsing around for 5 minutes and this site is gonna have to do some major work to appeal to anyone outside the record store day vinyls crowd wanting to hock some bullshit at bullshit prices.

Discogs serves a true function for nerds. A market place is basically two steps backwards if it doesn’t offer the amount of resources discogs does, and considering the obscene amount of work it’s contributors have done I don’t see anyone jumping ship without a major incentive. Most discogs people have been there for years as well, so there’s little incentive.....

tl,dr I didn’t spend weeks of my life cataloging thousands of kvlt records to use some other site.....

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what Reverb is thinking on this one.

To some extent they have a built-in customer base just by the fact that the site is linked to Reverb. That's maybe what they're banking on. More for a casual record buyer than Discogs? So, possibly not quite in direct competition with Discogs? :idk: Difficult to say right now.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jwar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Needs more metal.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Re: Um, when did this happen? (AKA "the original D v. R LP")

Postby lost in music » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:27 pm

"the original D v. R LP"

^I keep seeing "Devi Ever LP"
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby lost in music » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:27 pm

This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 pm

lost in music wrote:"the original D v. R LP"

^I keep seeing "Devi Ever LP"

:lol: Get over it!

I couldn't fit what I wanted to write the title to be up there in that title space. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Discogs' search function is by far the worst I've encountered.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby lost in music » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Worse than ours?
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:05 pm

Yes. searching for a single album and artist will yield 200+ results, a solid 1/3 of which are in no ways identifiably related.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 pm

I usually just search on Google and include the word "Discogs" in my search. :idk:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:45 am

Chankgeez wrote:I usually just search on Google and include the word "Discogs" in my search. :idk:

Well aren't you some fancy wiz kid.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:48 am

:idk: :wizard: :baby:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Or just look for rarer stuff?

I've never had a problem with discogs. I just look for the band then click through until I find what I want. My problem is that I get caught up in some random distro picking up interesting cheap records to "save" on shipping haha....gets really bad with Japanese punk.

Discogs people can be a bit snotty though. I don't sell on there, but some people I know have gotten complaints like "plastic factory seal (not case) is slightly oxidized"...of course it is, it's 20 years old and those kind of plastics are meant to be and we and are of varying quality of plastic.

Or, "didn't give feedback, so they are a bad seller".

I run into weird pressings there a lot...like the ones they have listed don't match what I've got or what I remember...I try to add and fix, but it rarely gets approved/looked at. It's a good system, just don't know if people really care about old weird comps put out by a record store and stuff (or demo tapes for bands that didn't really go anywhere).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Well yea, record collectors are among some of the snootiest cockwads I've ever had to deal with. I would love to sell most of my records but the last thing I want to deal with is people who collect records.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music