Seppuku FX

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Seppuku FX

Postby $harkToootth » Tue May 16, 2017 8:24 am

UglyCasanova wrote:To me, that's just harsh noise circuit mangling. :idk:

Clips? :joy:

You're 100% right! It does have a function outside of that but yep, that is what he is doing. I'm super into Harsh Noise and he has a project called EVIL MOISTURE. It's awesome!

As for clips, I'm suppose I'm due! I let me dust off the laptop I use as a DAW and I'll post things in the near future (probably not today). I talk a lot about pedals (and own a lot) but seldom post sounds. This needs to change.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 am

Cool! I'd love to hear that :zen:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 am

I've been using my Memory Loss a lot recently, and finally found out how to get a "normal delay" out of it. I know you Seppuku old-timers have mastered this already, but I'm sharing this just in case someone hasn't figured it out... The mistake I had been making is that I was keeping the volume knob rather low, since this thing is so loud, I was concerned about unity gain/not blowing my amp, etc... But actually, with my Memory Loss, when I find the sweet spot for glitch, allowing my dry signal to bleed through, and push the pedal volume, I get to the point where delay only stops if I hit the strings real hard. That way, I can stomp on the ML, stay at unity gain, and get a normal delay, without rolling off my guitar volume, without paying too much attention to the dynamics of my playing.
Rolling off the guitar volume is useful for triggering the glitch relentlessly, but if you wanna go for normal delay, just keep both volume knobs (guitar & pedal) up!
There's still a lot to experiment with it.
One of the best delays texture-wise I've ever heard.
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Christophe » Fri May 26, 2017 8:06 am

I have a question for you guys: would you say that the thornoscillator covers the same ground as the Seppuku octave drone? I get this feeling from watching demos, but maybe there's something else with the octavedrone? I'm looking for that kind of fat, low-end fuzz that goes insane when playing in the high part of the neck. Thanks!
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri May 26, 2017 10:08 am

Owned both. Extremely different. One is an octave fuzz that can sustain for a long time and sort of phase in and out of the octave. The other is the loudest oscillating fuzz I've ever tried. Just too damn loud. :lol:

Edit: neither of them have much lows to speak of, especially not the octave drone.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Fri May 26, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks UC! Very helpful. I have the 141g, lovin' it, now looking for something more ... Wild. Or say, dirtier. The octavedrone sounds quite nasty, less polished. Feels like it can bring serious chaos right away.
Maybe "low-end" was inappropriate... I meant: when you strum while muting strings with your left hand, you get a thick sound, instead of a thin squeak... But this "phase" thing you're describing is interesting.
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Fri May 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Try a lastgasp octavella, Gomorrah, or 88.

I'll just add on the octave drone: there is different circuits floating around under that name. Some have less octave, some more.

I wouldn't think of the phase as like a phasor, but more like a swell. The fuzz itself (on some) can get oversaturated and have a compressor like curve (meaning it lowers attack and sustains the quieter parts) and it will gate/slow rise (at least that's how I saw it). As with any fuzz, some guitar/signal chain stuff will vary results.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Christophe » Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Try a lastgasp octavella, Gomorrah, or 88.

Maybe the 88, yes... But still gassing over Seppukus for now...

lordgalvar wrote:I'll just add on the octave drone: there is different circuits floating around under that name. Some have less octave, some more.

I thought so.. Demos on YouTube differ a lot. I could ask Rhys for a "more octave " build.

lordgalvar wrote:I wouldn't think of the phase as like a phasor, but more like a swell. The fuzz itself (on some) can get oversaturated and have a compressor like curve (meaning it lowers attack and sustains the quieter parts) and it will gate/slow rise (at least that's how I saw it). As with any fuzz, some guitar/signal chain stuff will vary results.

Yeah that's what I figured, some rise and fall of the octave sound..
Thanks man!
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Fri May 26, 2017 4:52 pm

I played my thornoscillator (today) and that pedal is almost not fun it is so goddamn loud. I plugged it into my tube amp where is pretty much unusable. I use it in other settings (SS or Studio) and I do like it but confirming what Kent said. It is not for the faint of heart. I consider myself a harsh noise guy and even this pedal is a bit much.

I have never owned a SEPPUKU fuzz unless you count the KOMPAKT KASSETTE.
Last edited by $harkToootth on Fri May 26, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Fri May 26, 2017 5:54 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Owned both. Extremely different. One is an octave fuzz that can sustain for a long time and sort of phase in and out of the octave. The other is the loudest oscillating fuzz I've ever tried. Just too damn loud. :lol:

I guess another option would be the dpm-2, a variant of the pitch monster if I'm correct? That's the kind of angry/gritty/rude sound I have in mind...
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Christophe » Fri May 26, 2017 6:00 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
I have never owned a SEPPUKU fuzz unless you count the KOMPAKT KASSETTE.

I love the fuzz on the KK/ML... it's more appropriate for strumming rather than "big riffs" (not very versatile), but its texture is addictive...
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Christophe » Sun May 28, 2017 10:17 am

lordgalvar wrote:Try a lastgasp octavella, Gomorrah, or 88.

Would you say that the 88 encompasses what the Octavella can do, or are they worlds apart? (I understand their own specifities, but the 88 sounds limitless...)
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Sun May 28, 2017 10:52 am

Totally different things. Octavella is all about the weird octave up and somewhat sustaining feedback oscillation. It's kind of like filling a cup of water based on how long/hard you play and then pouring out the oscillation. I think it is more over saturated and "septic" sounding the the 88.

88 is a good all around fuzz. Can get lots of gated, osc, etc sounds.ore of an all arounder. It doesn't do the octave up thing like a super fuzz or Foxx would (octavella or 46 for that).

Gomorrah is the envelope blending of sub octave. But the normal fuzz on that is pretty nice.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Christophe » Sun May 28, 2017 11:00 am

lordgalvar wrote:Totally different things. Octavella is all about the weird octave up and somewhat sustaining feedback oscillation. It's kind of like filling a cup of water based on how long/hard you play and then pouring out the oscillation. I think it is more over saturated and "septic" sounding the the 88.

Alright. Seems like the Octavella is a one trick pedal. Cant really do without the "squishing sound", can you? Sounds awesome, but afraid I might get tired of it..
( sorry for goin' off topic here...)
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Christophe » Sun May 28, 2017 11:13 am

lordgalvar wrote:Totally different things. Octavella is all about the weird octave up and somewhat sustaining feedback oscillation. It's kind of like filling a cup of water based on how long/hard you play and then pouring out the oscillation. I think it is more over saturated and "septic" sounding the the 88.

Actually -and to come back to the topic- I was impressed by the geargasstore demo of the Pitch Monster (there was one for sale a few months ago but it went too fast). This thing sounds naturally wicked, and organic and unpredictable. To my ears, it's very different from a lot of pedals that are doing their own trick, feels like they have a proper gimmick, that they are very well thought through for a specific result you cant really get away from. In comparison, the Pitch Monster sounds "free", it seems like you can push it in this or that direction, it's not gonna keep you on a predetermined track. If you see what I mean?
But then again, my impression is just derived from comparing demos on youtube, I might be completely wrong.
Christophe

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear