Looking to try some Basic Audio pedals

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Looking to try some Basic Audio pedals

Postby Christophe » Thu May 21, 2020 3:35 am

Jwar wrote:I like all fuzz sir.

:thumb:
Looking at the supa mk 1 and fuzz mutant...
To put it diffently: I ‘m wondering about the “boom” sensation when you engage the pedal. The instant chaos factor is not really emphasized in the demos l’ve seen...
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 am

Christophe wrote:This thread got me interested in BA again... I've watched many vids and listened to many sound clips, displaying most pedals. Most demos are centered on the Neil Young/ Dave torn kind of fuzz. I mean melodic, wide sound, blurry chords into reverb etc... Beautiful sounds... Is it the genuine vibe of Basic Audio, or is it just the players using it a certain way? Can you achieve tighter sounds, single-note based riffs, more modern playing? To put it the other way: a fuzz war or something from Infanem can do massive/modern/ripping sounds, but maybe wouldn't be a top choice for Neil Young stuff...
See what I mean?
So, from your experience, which Basic Audio pedals stand out as totally modern fuzzes?

Can't say either, haven't yet come around to trying a BA peda myself. My guess is that a lot of what we're hearing is indeed the guitarist's style, and his prefered settings.

Instead of buying two BA pedals, I opted for one swiss army knife. Clusterfuzz: a highly tweakable tonebender that goes from growling stoner fuzz to zippery velcro stuff or borderline octave fuzz. Contrary to pedals like the fuzz factory and all fuzz factory inspired pedals I used, all of the settings on the Clusterfuzz are actually useable. No overly gated bullshit or noisy motorboating crap you won't use more than once or twice for shits 'n giggles.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 21, 2020 8:40 am

Christophe wrote:Are you telling me that ILF has turned into a joint for 60s-classic-fuzz lovers ? :snax:

A person doesn't necessarily have to play classic rock w/ a 60s-classic-fuzz. :idk: :trippy: :rock: They can play anything they want. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 am

yes I thought this is why we were here. :excellent:

Enjoy your tourbox US folks!
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Thu May 21, 2020 10:21 am

Christophe wrote:

Looking at the supa mk 1 and fuzz mutant...
To put it diffently: I ‘m wondering about the “boom” sensation when you engage the pedal. The instant chaos factor is not really emphasized in the demos l’ve seen...

That's true! I tried to pick ones I could find demos for and sounded interesting to me. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Christophe » Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
Christophe wrote:Are you telling me that ILF has turned into a joint for 60s-classic-fuzz lovers ? :snax:

A person doesn't necessarily have to play classic rock w/ a 60s-classic-fuzz. :idk: :trippy: :rock: They can play anything they want. :snax:

That was my half-assed joke. My bad.
Totally agree here.
It’s just that ILF is in my mind associated with ssbs, lastgasp, fuzzhugger, etc... and the BA demos struck me as being in a different ballpark. But maybe there’s some overlap here. Or not. Like you said, depends on how you use it.
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby CrazyDroneDream » Sun May 24, 2020 2:52 pm

I just got a Bye-Bias used from here. Played with it yesterday for a while. I am super happy with it. Feel it’s pretty flexible and has a lot of sweet spots based on your amp settings, pickups and volume and tone knobs.
CrazyDroneDream

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm

Yeah, Bye-Bias'd probably be well liked around here.

Someone should grabby grabby this or at least make an offer :poke: :

https://reverb.com/item/20252695-basic- ... e=sendgrid

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jero » Thu May 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Looks like someone grabbed that Duplex!

Here's a well loved Throbby
https://reverb.com/item/33586105-basic- ... molo-pedal
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eyobeez » Fri May 29, 2020 11:43 pm

I've had the Kay fuzz for a couple years and it's not going anywhere. It's a fun and raucous yet deadly serious pedal if that makes any sense.

Received a Pirk from John today and there are a number of sounds available in this thing! The three-position switch and the bias knob are key. I spent two hours with it today.
eyobeez

involved
involved

Postby Jwar » Sat May 30, 2020 7:43 pm

So, like, we doing a tourbox fo sho? Was there enough interest?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat May 30, 2020 9:50 pm

Yeah, it's definitely on. :thumb: I talked to John. He gave it the green light. :D

I was just being lazy about gettin' it goin'/buildin' interest. We'll have the ten people for certain. :hello: :snax: :poke:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ummohyeah » Sun May 31, 2020 5:43 pm

Just wanna add that I've had a dozen Rat variants and ProCo pedals and the Shore Bird is one of my favorite. Favorite graphics on a pedal, too, if that counts for anything. I'd have one again any day if I wasn't a broke ass.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:33 pm

Finally got the Foxey Lady in...and it rips! Sounds excellent in the 30 minutes or so I've had with it.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:33 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear