In search for a 100w + amp head for Post-Rock / Trance Rock

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: In search for a 100w + amp head for Post-Rock / Trance R

Postby Faldoe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:23 am

I had one of those traynor 100w amps from the 70s. Was alright.

The v4 was better.

V4 is probably the best bet for the money. It also has a very wide range EQ and you can get a lot of sounds out of it.

And with the two inputs, you could also experiment with different volume levels for your pedaly platform.
Faldoe

Postby Woolworm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Faldoe wrote:I had one of those traynor 100w amps from the 70s. Was alright.

The v4 was better.

V4 is probably the best bet for the money. It also has a very wide range EQ and you can get a lot of sounds out of it.

And with the two inputs, you could also experiment with different volume levels for your pedaly platform.

Yeah the more Im convincing myself of the V4. And also I can use it for all the bass, synths, drum machines samplers, whatever.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Re: In search for a 100w amp head for Post-Rock / Trance Roc

Postby BoatRich » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Woolworm wrote:
BoatRich wrote:An 800 won’t stay clean enough for you, but a Plexi probably will. The DSL and JVM aren’t worth looking at for what you’re doing. Rockerverbs don’t stay clean so scratch that one. HiWatt to me sounds like what you’re describing? I’ve owned several V4’a and even well taken care of they break up pretty quick.

By breakup do you mean breakdown?

You would not rate the JVM's, DSL's, or the Rockerverb's clean channels? So they do compress and color the freqs and distort?

Nah I mean distort really quickly. You can use lower gain tubes and get a bit more headroom out of them but in any situation louder than like an indie band it’ll be distorted. The clean channels on those amps tend to do the same thing when pushed. Every amp colors frequencies outside of a straight up power amp or something. That’s fine, it’s just figuring out how you want it to be colored. A HiWatt or a Bassman or something with high headroom speakers is what you want. I use a HiWatt cab with Fanes and there’s no breakup in the speakers at all.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 am

$harkToootth wrote: ILF User Ibarakishi plays similar music to what you're describing. He rocks this pedal size power amp, and is very happy with it. It's an ISP STEALTH 180 POWER AMP. Might be a path worth exploring. He got his on a really good deal. You can read his post here.

yeah i use the ISP STEALTH 180 power amp for my setup with a tube preamp pedal in front. it does exactly what i want it to do for both recording and playing live at this point in my life. from reading through your thread here though it sounds like

1.) you don't really know what each amp you have listed sounds like in person or how it plays with pedals (also in relation to other amps)
2.) you already have opinions about what certain amps do
3.) you are not positive about how all these amp options work with different cab options and pairing as well

this will make purchasing an amp really difficult for you. going into my purchase i had a list of exact things that had to be met and i knew exactly how to get those results with other equipment prior as a reference point through either owning them, playing friends equipment, or trying them out in shops. I'm guessing until you just go into a shop and try stuff out, or actually sit in a room with the gear you are curious about it it isn't going to really do a whole lot of good. Otherwise its going to take a long time to figure out.

I mean this not in a condescending or negative way, im just simply saying that you can save a lot of headache and time if you can at least sit with some options and use them firsthand if you can. I bring this up because with the ISP power amp, it could be a great option for you if it fits your needs. but it comes with the additional step of matching it with a preamp pedal that you enjoy and also needing to know what preamp styles you do and don't like before taking that plunge.

The ISP for me is basically my 'end of the road' power amp solution at this point to address all the things i live with. There are some similar solutions out there to it, but for small details those didn't work for me or what i do/ where i live. if you want to talk to me personally about it or ask more questions about the ISP or my preamp setup here in your thread or through a PM, feel free to reach out. There is little to no info about it online at this point to my knowledge. I use my amp setup with guitar, bowed instruments, and traditional instruments as well if that matters.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Woolworm wrote:
manymanyhaha wrote:I use Frenzels for a similar purpose but those default are heads. They will make you a cab though.

I love the Today Forever ep, hope you achieve what you are aiming for

Thanks and yeah, that EP is my teenagehood.

These Frenzel amps look really interesting. Super Deluxe and Super Twin Plexi. Imagining a 100w version of a Fender Deluxe Reverb. From what my ears remember off cab sims in other amps, the Deluxe has better bass tones than the Twin but again, I could be wrong cos I've never owned these amps.

Their Deluxe isn't a Fender Deluxe, it's more a 5e3 tweed. But I have two of those and had two twins and I have preferred the Deluxe's. Everything just sounds good through it.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ALLisNOISE » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:27 am

Woolworm wrote:Hmm, didn't consider the speakers til your post. Whats cabs use the EVM12L or would I have to make one myself? Should it be just EVM12L's or should I pair it with other speakers? And which speakers! Had a look through on Celestion's catalogue, what do you think of the Neo 250 Copperbacks? Apparently its their neutral speakers. And lightweight.The G12H-150 Redback's it says are balanced clean speakers as well. The F12-X200 is full range from 20-20k, daaaamn.

I don’t know of any current production cabinets that have EVs loaded in them, but I’m sure there are a ton of small time cabinet makers that would load a cab with ‘em.
The cab I use them in is a front ported Ear Candy cab, but the Mesa “Thiele” cabs are designed specially for the Ev’s specs (it’s a clone of the EV TL806).

I don’t have any experience with the Copperback, but my buddy swears by his. The G12H-150, though? I love it! The new Fender 68 Custom Deluxes are the greatest low watt pedal machines on the planet, and the newest “redline” version loaded with the G12h-150 instead of the V-Type just makes this thing perfect!

Yeah the more Im convincing myself of the V4

I think the V4s that’s popped up so much in this thread is the original one loaded with the 7027 tubes, not the reissue that’s currently in production.
I don’t think it’s so much of a Coke/New Coke kinda difference, but it’s definitely got a “McDonald’s changed their ketchup recipe” kinda vibe.
ALLisNOISE

committed
committed

Postby mcatano » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:49 pm

Woolworm wrote:
Faldoe wrote:I had one of those traynor 100w amps from the 70s. Was alright.

The v4 was better.

Yeah the more Im convincing myself of the V4. And also I can use it for all the bass, synths, drum machines samplers, whatever.

I toured for a number of years with a master volume V4 (3 plastic switches, reverb, no distortion circuit). It was reliable, loud, common enough that it didn't take any kind of regional amp guru to service it, and I ran guitar and a little casio kybd through the two channels with no issues. At the time it seemed reasonable but as I am now old and frail you could not pay me to take one of those things and have to move it regularly. Also, you'll get PTSD from listening to the fucking thing rattle incessantly in the back of your vehicle.
mcatano

committed
committed

Previous

Return to General Gear