Rackmount Gear Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Rackmount Gear Thread

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:13 pm

So want the Plasma Rack. Sounds amazeballs. More than I’ve spent on either the Eclipse I had or the DSP-7000 I still have, though.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:48 am

codetocontra wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQA_Ml0oqgY

I will just leave this here. Love it.

That thing is awesome. The distortion section reminds me a lot of the sound butchery I get with a Ballantine 320 voltmeter, though at a *much* lower noise floor (I mean to say the old Ballantine is a noisy beast).

I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:57 pm

There's a Lexicon MPX-1 for sale locally for $300 CDN. I am pretty tempted, but I've been spending a lot on gear lately and have been trying to not buy anything until after ILFSS.

It's this one:
https://reverb.com/item/28888710-lexico ... ith-manual

Anyone with experience with it or know if this is a reasonable price?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:26 pm

If you want to pay $50+ for the 'manual', yes. Download a PDF and bag one of the buck fifty or less ones.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:30 pm

That said, they're acceptable for older units - they were good midrange things when they came out, but that's 20-some years ago. I'm sure there's some demos out there - I remember them and got to screw around a bit back then but wasn't willing to pull the trigger for what they cost.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Don’t pay that much for an MPX-1 without OS 1.1 and a fresh battery unless it really is prohibitive to get one up to the great white north. It looks like good condition but my experience is $150 USD is pretty easy to pull off.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Awesome, thank you for tempering my gas! Really didn't want to spend that much on it, but also didn't want to miss out
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 pm

There seem to be, if not a fuckton, a lot of MPX-1s out there. They made them for years.
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:38 pm

If you’re playing guitar the MPX G2 may be better suited.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:23 am

Anyone DIY it themselves a home made rack case?

I’m looking at a 2 or 3u and don’t feel like ponying up a lotta coin for a reverb and extra bass amp i don’t use.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Phosphene Audio » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:54 am

I use my Eventide Eclipse all the time.

It's great for both subtle and over the top stuff, with as much or as little control over the particulars as you like. The presets all have 4-8 hot key parameters or one can access every single parameter of a preset via a different button.

I even like the distortion stuff in it, though most hate it. The stock presets for that sort of thing are not quite right, but can be tweaked into doing neat stuff. There are distortion algorithms that apply the dirt independently to assorted frequency bands a la the Paia Quadrafuzz. No one will mistake them for amp/cab sims, but I find they have their place.

The ring modded delays are awesome as well.

the algorithms:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.d ... grithm.pdf

I used to have a 3000 and kind of wish I had that or one of their other 2 space units, but I'd be leery of the old ones (for repair issues) and the newer ones are still way expensive.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:51 am

JonnyAngle wrote:Anyone DIY it themselves a home made rack case?

I’m looking at a 2 or 3u and don’t feel like ponying up a lotta coin for a reverb and extra bass amp i don’t use.

The Ikea Rast end table makes a great DIY rack if you can find one somewhere. Unfortunately they were discontinued by Ikea
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby digi2t » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 am

Way back when, I started with the bog standard Boss pedals, until the day I picked up and Ibanez HD1000, which I would just sit on top of my amp. It was my gateway drug to rack gear.

Over the years, I still used pedals, but slowly started to mix in various pieces of rack gear, only because there would be a particular piece that could do stuff that a pedal couldn't (or vise versa). In reality, they're all sonic canvas tools.

What's been in my rack forever has been;
- BBE 422
- SGX 2000
- Roland GR 50
- Two 360 Systems AM16's (16x16 audio matix - for mixing in pedals)

In recent years, I've also added;
- Boss GT-Pro
- Kurzweil Mangler
- Line 6 Filter Pro

I'm not going to go into all the other gear that's been in and out of there, but I will lament the fact that I sold my SDD 3300 way back when. The half second audio drop out when patch changing was really annoying, but nothing could cop the the chorus one could get by running the three delays in series, and setting each delay 90 degrees out of phase to the next. Absolute gooey goodness. I'm using an Ola now, and while it good, it's no 3300. I had that beast running most the time. Should have kept it.
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:35 pm

A hidden gem perhaps? A Korg DV-1000 is selling on the South Jersey Craigslist (to far 4 m3) for $50. One of Reverb is $75 so it's in the right range (but with $25 shipping, doubles the price).
If I was starting my set up from scratch, I'd take the drive and get this.

These are in my county... I'm considering it for the LOLS. $200 for the pair (Linking if anyone is in Philly / South NJ and interested)[/link]
ELECTRIX WARP FACTORY
ELECTRIX FILTER FACTORY

ANNNDDDDD as I was posting this... my memory kicked into overdrive and I remembered the WARP FACTORY is the Vocoder TOBACCO used to use... so I'm 1000% going to be picking up both at some point this week if they don't sell.
PROOF (look behind the MOOG MF-104Z)
MOAR PROOF (Image is large so NSFW): Tfw no qt 3.14 gf to wear masks with and make music with :cry: :cry: :cry:
NSFW: show
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Ooh, I am a huge Tobacco fan! I hope you get that vocoder

There's been a bunch of interesting rack gear popping up around me lately, but it's all a little too expensive for my current budget since I am saving for a new guitar
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear