Read the manual . . .

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Read the manual . . .

Postby Paul_C » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:26 pm

. . . and sometimes, watch some YouTube videos too !

I was watching at a Colour Theory being quickly demoed at a show and then. . . wait, what?

I was watching it being configured to do something I'd clearly missed when reading (skimming, tbh) the manual.

So now I'm going to have to spend a lot more time with it seeing what else is possible :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Read the manual . . .

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:11 pm

This describes my learning style...
Are you a visual OR written OR vocal OR do you learn by doing?
All of the above... I need to read the manual, watch someone do things with it, listen to explanations, and practice. There is nothing worse than when someone tells me to google something 1. Yes I know I can google it, thank you for your tech savvy insight. 2. **Sighs... I already did :cry:

In the case of this pedal... I don't think it really sold well so "So now I'm going to have to spend a lot more time with it seeing what else is possible" is exploring unknown territory and will probably set the standard for other people searching on it. Good luck!
Last edited by $harkToootth on Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 am

Read the manual = ask vidret :lol:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:50 pm

The worst is when there's a manual and it sucks. For example the Bastl Microgranny manual is basically worthless. "GRANNY DO THE DOPE" in big letters - that's great you guys, now how about covering the basic operations? No?
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 am

[quote="K2000"]The worst is when there's a manual and it sucks. /quote]

This.

Sometimes I end up watching videos that are far more explicative than the manual itself, on the same way I find tons of YouTube videos and not even one that satisfies my needs. Happened with the Red Panda Tensor I recently grabbed: tons of videos but barely 1 or 2 really useful. Luckily the manual is well done.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 pm

@paul_c - I seek your opinion as we have similar taste. You have the three Alexander Pedals I would consider. How are things going with them?

I slept on your Sonic Koala project far too long. Binging right now.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:19 am

$harkToootth wrote:@paul_c - I seek your opinion as we have similar taste. You have the three Alexander Pedals I would consider. How are things going with them?

I slept on your Sonic Koala project far too long. Binging right now.

I've had the Syntax Error for quite a while and like it a lot, the Marshmallow a short while and like it a lot and the Colour Theory somewhere in between and need to spend more time on it.

The first two are full of sounds which are fairly easy to access plus more sounds which need an understanding of what the knobs do when the alt button is held down. The Colour Theory needs more to get the best out of it and I haven't yet spent enough time on it to understand it.

I was going to get one of the Disaster Area midi controllers for the Syntax Error but decided I didn't need it, but I might need one for the Colour Theory as patches might be the best way to fully enjoy it rather than turning knobs while something is being fed into it.

Good luck with the SK binge, there's a ridiculous amount to wade through ;)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Some hombre excepted my offer for one of these. It wasn’t as discounted as I hoped to get it but someone throwing a fucking “please and thank you” is weighed in gold in my book in this day and age. I remember telling ibarakishi I was interested in one like 14 months ago so here we are. So... incoming. You have a m8 here now using one.

Better start studying the fucking manual. I never took the LSATS of the Bar so now is my big chance in life (that’s right, studying to use a pedal I’m not sure I wanted and 1009% did not need). I think this pedal has an app we can get jiggy with. Happy Willenium.

Me and Paul_C.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Please report back about your experiences. The Alexander stuff gets kind of ignored and I think it's capable of a lot of good.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:21 am

Will do. I know I PM'd you about it but, I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE! I feel like a slept on this stuff too long. I should have snagged that Marshmallow that was around $160 last week too.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillofuzz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Dowi wrote:
K2000 wrote:The worst is when there's a manual and it sucks.

This.

Looking at you, MASF Possessed...
The Howl Ensemble - Bandcamp - Facebook - Instagram - Soundcloud -
oscillofuzz

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm

oscillofuzz wrote:
Dowi wrote:
K2000 wrote:The worst is when there's a manual and it sucks.

This.

Looking at you, MASF Possessed...

OMG YEP! YEP! :lol: I have most my manuals in a binder... I didn't even bother saving any for the three MASF pedals I own :lol:
I found my Microgranny manual (of all places when I was cleaning up my home office :idk: yesterday. I probably could have thrown it out with the rest of the crap!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:46 pm

I just got a marshmallow too and all the decked out accessories for the neo series pedals.
Fuckin... chicken ala pasta a got a lot of reading to do.
Between reading all the manuals and applying to get the ayahuasca pedal and building my #influencer cred... you'd think I'm getting a fucking MBA with all this work!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:30 pm

So first impressions with the Colour Theory and... I should have pulled the plug on this ages ago. This covers a lot of territory for me, in a small package... and it's pretty "intuitive" (granted I watched a bunch of videos before I got it so... maybe not the right word :lol: ). I did not get the ipad app yet.

Honestly, 4 m3, the filter alone made the effect worth it... I really like the way it sounds. Let alone you can use the pedal as a stand alone oscillator.

I don't think the two share a ton of 'sonic territory' but this definitely gives me Hologram Infinite Jest vibes as far as the workflow is concerned (I'm namely speaking about the filter and the knob automation). I bought my colour theory second hand, and not as discounted as I would have liked (at the time) but imo it's worth every dollar of the $199. Let alone you can pick one up at retailers during any number of sales throughout the year.

THAT SAID, I can totally see how this is not for everyone (much like the Infinite Jets but, again, for different reasons... this thing does not cut your low end :cool:). I think, while intuitive, this pedal really invites you to 'put a little' into it to get the most out of it.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Investing the time in learning and even things like deep dive into MIDI is tough. I can only devote so much time across the board to music...and despite my love for gear, I mostly want to make sounds and not just velcro pedals on and off boards making different pretty patterns.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to General Gear