· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Eggs, Boiling Denim, Crabs: Irrational Want Thread

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:48 am

I want a 100% battery powered rig that can fit in a TSA approved size backpack. The rig would have:

an analog voltage-controlled polysynth
analog monosynth
an fm synth
an analog drum machine
a videosynth
a sampler
a tape delay
a spring reverb
individual fuzz effects for each instrument listed above
a four-pedal pedalboard
a crt tv
an amp with a built-in mixer that’s loud enough to play with a drummer
weighs less than 40lbs

If I can have all that with good interfaces for everything, I doubt I’d ever buy another piece of gear. It’d be like overheated water: any change would destroy it’s current state.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 am

Dowi wrote:$harktooth you are pure evil.

I've been down the rabbit hole with a lot of the same stuff. Roland SP404sx can be found for a couple hundred under retail. I have a microgranny. I think I got a clearance one though?

I think everyone wanted a Jazzmaster at some point. It's like wearing a black turtle neck, nobody knows why it's cool. It just is.

The combo amps are only getting smaller, and louder and louder. Seems pretty rational to me :) .

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am

01010111 wrote:I want a 100% battery powered rig that can fit in a TSA approved size backpack. The rig would have:
an analog voltage-controlled polysynth
analog monosynth
an fm synth

:lol: Volcas (jk, no cv, but there are mods). Seriously, I don't know of another battery powered analog polysynth. If I may suggest for the poly, forget the analog one, and maybe consider a blofeld. The blofeld does FM. Imagine having a basstation 2 (with that awesome new firmware update) and a blofeld.

A CR TV... I believe you in Korea now? Here in the states, you can literally "find" them. Like... not even pay. I need to go back to that spot my Grandpa and I "found" a bunch of stuff.

The video synth options are pretty great. You have the Vidiot and the Giekes one. Both are super small (not 100% on batteries though?).

I am with you on batteries, I tried to go that route a couple years ago. I do have a goal of have portable solar cells for gear soon enough (we'll get there when we get there :lol: ).

Call me Misses Enabler but all your stuff seems rational too (the only thing being, a battery powered analog poly synth, with CV).

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:32 am

$harkToootth wrote:Crochambeu would have steam powered submarine or some crazy impossible shit.

I'm more of a "park an old airframe (large enough to live in) on a field of buried boxcars" kind of guy.

Open ended stupid/crazy wants/goals? Okay, you asked for it.

I live on a flood plain so when I build my shop I want finished floor 3-4 feet above grade. My hopes, with the available space then available underfoot, is to build in a pair of serpentine pathways with concrete stem walls that will function as exponential horns tuned to 20 hz that fire into the area of building dedicated for the studio (The fold from horizontal path to habitable space is still a puzzler, but I have time yet).

In more reasonably proportioned and realistically attainable goals, I'm speculating about mixing function blocks and alternate methods of summing/sending. I should note I'm not trying to fit that into RMA, at least, not at the moment.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 pm

I was going to say I was surprised how tame the answers have been so far but... that's what I'm talking about m8!!!

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Yeah my answers were mostly in the realm of things that are actually somewhat possible. Although, I forgot to include aluminum neck for my Bass VI (because who doesn't want an aluminum neck for their Bass VI?), which would fit somewhere between #4 and #5 probably.

If we're talking totally out there irrational wants then I want to build a full studio space and workshop at a secluded cottage in northern Ontario. I'd retire from my current job and try to survive on recording musicians in the middle of nowhere, building weird pedals and synths, and maybe learning to forge knives (I've watched too much Forged in Fire lately).

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:36 pm

That seems level headed to me.
Maybe I'm not the best for commentary on what "is" and "is not" rational.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:46 pm

I may be confusing irrational and implausible. As my fiancee always tells me, I'm too logical.

Seriously though, all I want to do is live as a knife wielding hermit musician

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:01 pm

MrNovember wrote:Seriously though, all I want to do is live as a knife wielding hermit musician

The dream

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm

I’ll be your charismatic, but respectful of our distance, neighbor, who eats questionable things off the ground.

I’m a Rochambeau Music Apparatus shill. Crochambeau paid me in a years supply of expired yogurt (expiration dates are just a suggestion anyway) to use my #influencer skills to put out his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWxXWT-nWbk

Do I... do I... see a... sampler in this video :yay: ? (I know I do, it’s actually mentioned on page 1 of this ridiculous thread).

Word on the street is USA public schools are replacing Huck Finn with this video for essential reading.
EDIT: Oph... that’s a nice looking floor in the video. :animal:

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Word on the street is USA public schools are replacing Huck Finn with this video for essential reading.

:lol: Now I feel the urge to up my game, ever onward! Thanks for the enthusiasm!

(Sorry about hanging onto all the old strawberry/banana fruit on the bottom, maybe next time...) :hug:

The floor on the other side of the room is the counterbalance, absolute hell. Anyway..

I need to finish up a Where's The Party At kit to add to my sampler toolbox. I also believe an old Roland S10 I sold a friend around the turn of the century is sitting in an attic a couple towns over, I hear FlashFloppy plans to support Quick Disk emulation in the coming months, so maybe some previously useless dinosaurs can be dragged from the mud..

Re: Wielding Knives, Expired Yogurt, Gear, Being Yourself

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Also putting this in my stupid thread because the world needs to know.
cloudscapes wrote:
crochambeau wrote:That Cloudscapes concept is magnificent.

If it's still under design may I ask if there's a way to tap or port that carrier waveform to the outside world? Being able to exploit another leg of that signal with other things (in addition to the 633 multiplier on board) could result in interesting user experiences.

Kind of already there. I have an 'osc mix' knob so the thing could be used as a drone synth, not just a ringmod. if I were to revise this board, I guess I could make it as an extra output jack as well.

don't know if I posted this clip/jam using said ringmod. I use it as a sound source as well.

a lot of the time I have jus tthe ringmod mix blended in, just the osc blended in, or both. the bit that starts 4 mins in is a good example of mostly pure carrier output being quadrature modulated with a phase offset. (not sequenced)

I'm working on making a standalone dronebox that uses an expanded version of the quadrature-modulated carrier stuff going on here. with filters, more oscillators, more ways to patch the modulation (pitch and shape, as well as amplitude). and I'm making more than one because a very good friend asked for one, which also means I'm probably making more than two. buuuuuuut that's for for another thread since it's semi-off-topic.

Re: Wielding Knives, Expired Yogurt, Gear, Being Yourself

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Dandolin wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:If I was better with photoshop I would change the poster of HARD TO BE A GOD, to HARD TO BE A MOD.
NSFW: show

:joy: love that film! :love:

Legit top 10 of all time for me... it’s actually kind of fitting for the ring mod thread too (old effect, we’re going backwards, “advancing” on a similar time line but not).

Re: Wielding Knives, Expired Yogurt, Gear, Hard To Be Yourse

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:50 pm

I knew I put “being yourself” in the title for a reason. Well done Vidret.

Re: Wielding Knives, Expired Yogurt, Gear, Hard To Be Yourse

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:33 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Call me Misses Enabler but all your stuff seems rational too (the only thing being, a battery powered analog poly synth, with CV).

The closest solution I’ve found is using a minilogue and an SE-02 with one of those pedaltrain battery power solutions, volca FM/Sample, and a pedaltrain nano (also powered with a pedaltrain power thingy). While it’d be super portable it still misses the mark a bit. I guess I want all the advantages of a full-size studio with the ability to easily toss it in a backpack.

I also have a battery-powered CRT but I think it runs on 12 D cell batteries :lol:

coldbrightsunlight wrote:
MrNovember wrote:Seriously though, all I want to do is live as a knife wielding hermit musician

The dream

+1
Post a reply