Frog Pond Delight: Amalgamation of Dungeon/Post-Dungeon|Pond

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Finding Samplers And Boiling Denim: A Sampler Circle Jer

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:19 am

crochambeau wrote:I almost piped up when the tread was operating under a different name.

The boiling denim pulled me back.

Don't act like you don't enjoy boiling denim Curtis!!!

All the videos are safe for work, I'm just using those tags so the page doesn't take a million years to load. Also, safe for work in the context your office allows you to BUMP to some sweet jamz. :rock:

And everyone here better not act like they "don't like french filter house". We could play I spy with all the samplers in these videos. The star of this show is less the samplers and more that Akai filter rack [Akai MFC42].
NSFW: show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyQ07gOhm2A

Again, I love my MPC 500 but this video came across my feed a couple months ago and made me re-fall in love with it. Tuesday Night Machines (great channel btw for you modular dudes... or anyone in general) just did his own vlog as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-trxOc6Qc5s

I just found this video, but this guy clearly knows WHAT IS UP? He's got not one but TWO Roland S-760s, Akai S900, and (not a sampler) the Alesis 3630 (I recently got one for all of $20).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao-bbnDhGAg
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 am

Interview with one of my musical heroes, MUSLIMGAUZE. This is the interview where he pretends he does not use samplers... guys... he 1000% used samplers.
Yeah... okay...
Literally... look at all that rack gear. Or... just listen to the chunes.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:06 pm

-Morphagene (already have this) - the modulararararness is a lot of fun and it does good stuff and I'm used to it
-Volca sample - already have it, and while super limited it's great for immediacy, turn on and make noises, and the sequencer is pretty fun.
-Octatrack. 8 tracks. Functions. It's really cool.
-Microgranny. Also fun in different ways
-PC (yes it's cheating)
-MPC something. These have always looked very fun to me for live performance and I'd like to try one

I am not that complicated about samplers I'm sorry. May I interest you in some boiled denim?
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm

[quote="coldbrightsunligh”t]I am not that complicated about samplers I'm sorry. May I interest you in some boiled denim?[/quote]
It’s okay. You bring the denim, I’ll bring the milk steak.

I like volcas a lot in general. Never got a sample though. Philip+ has a comprehensive series on them. I think I have it in my head that loading your own samples is a pain in the neck though? Probably not true.

And you didn’t cheat, you get your pc + your morphogene AND 5 samplers.

This thread is pretty much the equivalent to SNL Celebrity Jeopardy where final jeopardy is “Write ANYTHING” :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: As is typical for volcas as years go by... volcas drastically decrease in price... you can get a Sample for under $100 now. I also just saw a beats for $55...
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 pm

The sample is cool. Loading your own samples isn't too bad but you need third party software. This makes it fairly easy though, just need a PC. If it could direct record it would be twice as good.

I used to really like the electribe 2 I had, it's pretty much the same basic concept as the volca but with more stuff, good pads, recording, editing, decent user interface...why did I sell??
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:....you need third party software....

AH, I knew I read that. For some reason, that just kills it for me. It shouldn't but it does. Maybe when they're $80 or something I'll get one.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:I used to really like the electribe 2 I had, it's pretty much the same basic concept as the volca but with more stuff, good pads, recording, editing, decent user interface...why did I sell??

Are you me? I never had one but a local person on craigslist, only about 20-minutes away has an ES-2 and the mid range kaossilator in a bundle for only $250 or something... I said I would get it and backed out. This was back in 2012 and I still think about how bad I fucked up :cry: :lol: :cry: .

EDIT: Not an ES-2, it was an ESX-1 (Red One).
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Eggs, Boiling Denim, Crabs: Irrational Want Thread

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Okay, so I think what my inarticulate ass was trying to do was start an irrational wants thread. Partly (100%) inspired by a thread in muffwiggler. List all the stupid senseless stuff that you have no use for... but can’t seem to shake the “want”.

Actually, quoting the author in muffs, don’t just “list”. That sort of press conference type posting is no fun. As that author said, “I’m more interested in the ‘Why’ than the ‘what’”.

The more irrational the better. Shed those minimalist inhibitions for a few minutes (don’t actually spend money though... this is fantasy) and type away the gear you want that absolutely makes no sense.

Honestly, you can just go through my posts and see how my stupid brain works with gear. Currently the irrational wants are cheap, shitty, archaic samplers (at this very second a Roland S-330 and a Yamaha SU700).

But this is about you!!!! :poke:

DIY guys, would love to read about your irrational projects too. :poke:

Calling out my friend Johnnyangle... I KNOW he would have stacks upon stacks of Reverb tanks and peaveys if time, life, and space were out of the question. House Of Peaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

Retinal Orbita would have like 20 DOD Death Metal Pedals.

Crochambeu would have steam powered submarine or some crazy impossible shit.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Well I definitely have irrational wants beyond samplers. Listed in from most to least irrational:
1) Dada Machines Automat - turn everything into MIDI drums? Yes please
2) Game Changer Plasma Rack and/or Retro Mechanical Electron Fuzz Studio - do I need more dirt? Should it be in a fairly inconvenient format? Do I like the aesthetics of both these units?
3) LZX Vidiot - this may not be as irrational since I'd like to upgrade my Critter and Guitari Video Scope, but honestly, I rarely use that in the first place, so...
4) Death By Audio Echo Master - I don't even really sing, but when I do, I want there to be echos
5) Drolo Stretch Weaver - I literally have no idea what I would use this for, but I want it because I like the idea of two different audio sources mangling each other. Honestly, if it had a ducking mode, I probably would have bought it by now
6) an acoustic/electric guitar (currently want a Seagull Artist Mosaic CW) - I literally just bought an acoustic. I just want another, better one with electronics. I'd keep my current acoustic for alternate tunings of course

My other wants are pretty rational, I think :idk:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 pm

See I could see you rocking all that stuff and I wouldn’t bat an eye. You should get a vidiot. You already have ample modulation sources with your euro set up. Labor Day in the States is coming up... if they are in stock at perfect circuit, you can probably get one for 20% off.

For number 6... there was a meme on Beardo’s Instagram that sums that up. I will post if Imcan find (I know exactly where it is.... of course I can find it).
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Different Kind Of Sampler Thread: Silly, Sexy, and...SPO

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 pm

$harkToootth wrote:This is not a sampler. It’s a sampling delay instrument :cry: :lol:
https://bleeplabs.com/product/delaydelus-2-preorder/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnpJhPwAW4

Definitely want that. It sounds great & it's purple. :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm

$harkToootth wrote:For number 6... there was a meme on Beardo’s Instagram that sums that up. I will post if Imcan find (I know exactly where it is.... of course I can find it).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpuuhdyh33g/
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:15 pm

I think codetocontra has the plasma rack?

Also, “Yes” I am going to try my hardest to reply to every post... maybe every item? Lots of crabs and boiled denim to go around here.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:For number 6... there was a meme on Beardo’s Instagram that sums that up. I will post if Imcan find (I know exactly where it is.... of course I can find it).

This is accurate. Also replace "guitar" with "synth" or "delay pedal" and it still works pretty well for me
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Dowi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:08 am

$harktooth you are pure evil.
Now i am fantasizing about stuff i wouldn't even use EVER because lately i barely got the time to use what i have.. worst part is that i can't even fantasize about impossible stuff because usually i only research gear that is justovermyecenomicpossibilitiesbutmaybesomedayiwillhavesomsparemoneyforthatnahiknowiwont, so all the thing on my list are like somehow justifiable (but, after all, what isn't?). Decided purposely not to put pedals here because i could go on forever with those.
Following MrNovember path, from most to least irrational..

1) a Jazzmaster: never owned one, i'm just curious
1.1) a Jazzmaster with aluminum neck, mastery bridge, and splittable pickups: same reason as the previous, but if you dream, dream big, right?

2) Knas Moisturizer: always wanted one, never justified.

3) Digitakt: i've heard so many people talking about it i want it just to sample 5ms of randomness, turn it into self-generative noise and leave it on forever in the office so i don't have to bear with other peoples music

4) an organized storage for electronic components, and tons of electronic components so i don't have to order those and wait months each time i want to try something new (now on my third project..).
4.1) A new super organized pedalboard with a new power supply and all the cables cut to correct lenght: i'm kinda obsessive-compulsive lately.

5) A good and small combo amp: do i want to move my entire rig for rehearsals and jam sessions? not a teenager anymore, so the answer is HELL NO.

6) Bastl Microgranny: moar samples! moar granular stuff! moar everything!

7) Roland SP404 SX or A: lately i'm really on a hunt for these ones, just waiting to find one at a decent price..
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:09 am

MrNovember wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:

This is accurate. Also replace "guitar" with "synth" or "delay pedal" and it still works pretty well for me

I second this opinion
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear