Re: How many pedals do you own?

Postby qersty » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:52 am

Not too many like 20 i think
qersty

committed
committed

Postby starmansam » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 am

my count is around 30... with two more on the way. I'd likely be happy with half of that.

There's a lot of redundancy and stuff I keep around "just in case," like an eqd palisades and dunes, neither of which live on a board permanently. I've purged the collection a number of times, but the number just keeps creeping back up.
starmansam

committed
committed

Postby dandy13 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 am

around 60. I stopped selling pedals a while ago. I always mean to thin the herd, but regret usually always sets in so I just don't do it anymore. I know it's a mental thing but it is what it is.
dandy13

committed
committed

Postby echorec » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 am

Blood_mountain wrote:Part of my reason for creating the thread in the first place was a selfish one; to get an idea of how advanced my GAS is compared to others. Also, “lots” is a relative term, so i’m interested to see what “lots of pedals” means to different people. I also think it’s interesting to see who is a collector, who uses very few, who’s a tap dancing maniac, etc.

In a straw poll, I would've guessed more people would've been in the 40-80 range. I've got 44 delays and I just sold a couple last week, so you're not in danger of being taken to the north ward of the institution just yet. I'm happy for those who've maintained some degree of discipline, but age, bills, geography, and lifestyle play a large part in this. (personality does too...it's fun to tinker in your room with something brand new and know you're making sounds no one's ever heard before)

I've been buying and selling pedals for 20 years and I haven't hit 40 yet. I took about a 5 year hiatus from music, because I was so bored with what was being put out. If the pedals of the last 2-3 years had been available when I was a 20-something, I'd have far fewer pedals. I acquired new stuff, without sacrificing the earlier items. Had the Particle 2 and the MOOD had been available circa 2010, they would've curbed a lot of compromise spending.

It's a bit like this: you buy something because it's the best available, then something deeper/weirder/wilder comes along and you have to ask yourself, "Should I sell this $200 pedal for $120 just to be rid of it?" If you sell it and it's discontinued, that $120 pedal is suddenly $250. You could be pricing yourself out of ever reacquiring it. There are other parts of it---the hassle of listings, shipping, dealing wither buyer's remorse, et cetera. If you've got 20 pedals that are rarely getting used, it's not fun to think about 20 listings and shipments to deal with just to get 50-60% of your initial investment back.

If I had lived a more conventional life (wife, post-college 9-5 at <26, kids' dentist expenses), I wouldn't have >220 pedals. Once my childhood friends started dying or settling down, there wasn't much need for a social budget. Gear replaced cinema tickets, concerts, traveling, WAGs, et cetera. With a singular focus and few local friends, it's easy for collections to bloom to excess.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:35 pm

I have 22. I don't have a board and I currently cannot hook up more than 6 at a time, but I'm just a hobbyist anyway. I've barely even played this year because I feel like I have nothing left to say musically and no one to say it with and no more time to say whatever it might have been that I thought I might say.

Here is the list, if anyone is interested. No one else is listing theirs, so I'll stick it in NSFW so it's not an eyesore.
NSFW: show
Fuzz
BAT Pharaoh
BeaFoot FX BoneBender MKI
Danalectro French Toast
DOD Carcosa
Dunlop JHFF-RI
Dunlop MFF-1
EHX BMP TW
FuzzHugger Algal Bloom
FuzzHugger Velcrobot
GFS ProFuzz Classic
Red Witch Fuzz God II
Way Huge Big Pickle

Other Dirt
DOD Gunslinger
Proco Rat RI
TC Electronic MojoMojo

Sundry
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Fender StarCaster
Ibanez AD9
Joyo Classic Flanger
Moen Shaky Jimi
TC Electronic Holy Grail

friendship wrote: I want to get rid of half of them but I don't want to deal with listing and shipping a dozen pedals.

Man, I hear that loud and clear. I also don't enjoy getting lowballed on CL. Otherwise I would cull the fuzz herd.

Also, when I think about selling pedals these days I get a nagging thought in the back of my mind saying 'Well what if I need it someday for something I can't imagine now?' :facepalm:

$harkToootth wrote:Better start calling me Fred Astaire.

Welcome back, Fred. :hello:
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frodog » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Hadn't counted in a while actually... 47. Out of those 19 are DIY, so 28 by commercial builders - which I think are standout pedals in their respective niches. I'm not about to stop buying new pedals, but it has slowed down as I've been settling into what just works, and also being able to supplement the ranks with my own builds. Sold a few that I felt were superfluous, but I tend to view my collection as a palette of sounds that I always want to have at my disposal. Actually one can never have enough fuzz, it's true. As well as things that are nice to look at. But I mean if you really like the way a pedal sounds, 99% you will regret if u ever sell it, so I don't do that much anymore.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:09 pm

34 in total but 5 of them are DOD Death Metals so does having multiples of the same pedal count?
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:56 pm

Ask retinal orbita how many records he owns though... SHOOTS FIRED! **Nah jk... I envy your life.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:09 am

retinal orbita wrote:34 in total but 5 of them are DOD Death Metals so does having multiples of the same pedal count?

It's only the death metals that counts. I only have one but its the digitech so basically I don't use pedals at all
qersty

committed
committed

Postby retinal orbita » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:33 am

$harkToootth wrote:Ask retinal orbita how many records he owns though... SHOOTS FIRED! **Nah jk... I envy your life.

This is one of those times where I think about this and go :facepalm:
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:46 am

23, of which 4 or 5 are DIY stuff I would sell/throw away if they had any market value or I ran out space in my apartment. But I have space so they stick around :lol:

Like echorec said it's about my . For what I really need to make the music I want I could slim down to 10 or fewer pretty easily (both my band boards are less than this), but since I don't need the cash and it's fun having the extra stuff there's no point in doing that.

I still have an ambition to reduce the horde which I'm very slowly considering doing. But probably won't. It certainly hasn't expanded much in the last couple of years, I probably had more at some points in the past.
some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck

I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:53 am

More like "How many pedals don't I own?" :idk: :snax: :|:
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and thieves, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"...a benevolent dictatorship can be O.K. for as long as the benevolence lasts…” - Hardy Green
#cultofGreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 pm

retinal orbita wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:Ask retinal orbita how many records he owns though... SHOOTS FIRED! **Nah jk... I envy your life.

This is one of those times where I think about this and go :facepalm:

Don’t be like that! Your life is perfect! And your deck survived.
TFW no qt 3.14 wife that “tolerates” my noise/jazz/black metal/avant garde record collection, and prolific noise core releases. You won Charlie! You won!

A while back you had a post on HELLHAMMER’s “Apocalypic Raids” that made my day. Pretty much summed up my feelings towards that masterpiece.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:11 pm

I have 22 pedals, 4 of them are utility pedals, and 5 of them are for sale, but I also have 4 or 5 on my list to buy.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby moid » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:57 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
moid wrote: Not all are functional... and some are so awful they are banished to a box of misery in the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1inokC6IVU

Thanks Chank - I felt kind of better after seeing that room! But also kind of envious... like maybe I should buy another pedal :) Anyway that cheered me up, it's been a crap day.
moid

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear