Future Amps

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Future Amps

Postby themeanreds » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 am

For me, vast improvements in sound, size, and affordability have opened up the possibility of modular preamp/power amp rigs which I never touched before, because I did not want to futz with rack gear + big/heavy amps. Even if I wanted to deal with that kind of footprint, living in NYC and makes it a huge hassle. Every square foot costs $$$, and gear size can make the difference between having to tour with a trailer or not.

I now use a Jessup Model T preamp on my pedalboard, running into the effects return of an Ampeg Micro VR head. Used this way, the Ampeg is a small, rad sounding class A/B power amp that can get moron loud with guitar (I actually have yet to try it with bass, for which I imagine it would be power enough for everything short of the idiot volumes at which my band plays). The Ampeg’s power amp does not sound flat/neutral to me, which is great; I prefer the character it imparts over the very flat/neutral sound of the Quilter head I had been using as a power amp (also running into the effects of). I have tried a number of other small tube and solid-state preamps with this rig, and I am stoked with the Jessup Model T pre. Anyone expecting it to sound exactly like an old Sunn will be disappointed, but, judged on its own merits, I think that it sounds incredible. The Jessup pre + used Ampeg Head cost less than $600/total. I have a Jessup DR-103 preamp on the way as well, and i’m eager to see how they mate up.

Also: previously, my main amps were a Marshall Superlead reissue and a Ceriatone Hiwatt DR103 Clone. Both are amazing amps; I initially got the small preamp/small power amp rig to use as a back-up. I tried this rig at a show for the hell of it, and stopped using the bigger tube amps shortly after. I now have a Bugera 1960 head (also an incredible-sounding amp, bought after Bugera seemed to have solved their reliability issues) just to have a tube amp around, but i’ve decided to part with that, now.
themeanreds

experienced
experienced

Postby Invisible Man » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:38 pm

ibarakishi wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:Many thanks, ibarakishi. Glad that's working, though it seems pretty weird that the brick is so huge. I get the thinking and limitations, but it would be awesome if someone built a true pedalboard-friendly power amp - one that could be powered by a regular PSU. Otherwise, it sounds great.

For now, I sold my kvlt fridge and bought pedals. I have a desktop setup running pedals into a mixer and then listening with my little M Audio monitors. I don't play loud, really, and always record direct, so perhaps the future amp of my dreams is in fact 'no amp at all.'

Curious about the HX stomp and its modeling, but, also suspect that I'm really only missing cab sim / IR in the current setup, as dirt pedals make for a more interesting preamp section, anyway.

the size of the powersupply brick is a lot like the ones for some laptops, if that puts it into perspective. im guessing they built it the way they did so that if for whatever reason something fries your power, you don't/won't need to change anything really but the chord and brick that its attached to.

what dirt are you currently using for your preamp section?

Nothing right now - I am dirtless, and prowling for something good. Using the gain from my mixer, or the fuzz modules/algos on Zoia/H9 to scratch the itch. Will likely grab an ss/bs box as soon as a guitar sells.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Shrigg » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:21 pm

themeanreds wrote:For me, vast improvements in sound, size, and affordability have opened up the possibility of modular preamp/power amp rigs which I never touched before, because I did not want to futz with rack gear + big/heavy amps. Even if I wanted to deal with that kind of footprint, living in NYC and makes it a huge hassle. Every square foot costs $$$, and gear size can make the difference between having to tour with a trailer or not.

I now use a Jessup Model T preamp on my pedalboard, running into the effects return of an Ampeg Micro VR head. Used this way, the Ampeg is a small, rad sounding class A/B power amp that can get moron loud with guitar (I actually have yet to try it with bass, for which I imagine it would be power enough for everything short of the idiot volumes at which my band plays). The Ampeg’s power amp does not sound flat/neutral to me, which is great; I prefer the character it imparts over the very flat/neutral sound of the Quilter head I had been using as a power amp (also running into the effects of). I have tried a number of other small tube and solid-state preamps with this rig, and I am stoked with the Jessup Model T pre. Anyone expecting it to sound exactly like an old Sunn will be disappointed, but, judged on its own merits, I think that it sounds incredible. The Jessup pre + used Ampeg Head cost less than $600/total. I have a Jessup DR-103 preamp on the way as well, and i’m eager to see how they mate up.

Also: previously, my main amps were a Marshall Superlead reissue and a Ceriatone Hiwatt DR103 Clone. Both are amazing amps; I initially got the small preamp/small power amp rig to use as a back-up. I tried this rig at a show for the hell of it, and stopped using the bigger tube amps shortly after. I now have a Bugera 1960 head (also an incredible-sounding amp, bought after Bugera seemed to have solved their reliability issues) just to have a tube amp around, but i’ve decided to part with that, now.

How is the Jessup DR103 pre? Can you describe its drive characteristics? I am wanting to use one for bass lined into my Aguilar TH500 head
Shrigg

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Seance » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Invisible Man wrote:Questing hard right now for the next thing.

Stank-face is the new normal.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby niftyprose » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:57 pm

I totally get it about the characterful preamp-into-class-D-powerblock thing which Ibarakishi and others have mentioned here, but can't let go of the idea of the self-contained amp-and-speaker as a part of my musical personality.

My prediction as a future classic is the discontinued ZT Club combo, which appeared to be the excellent Lunchbox circuit run through a 12" speaker, or something very close to it. They didn't sell well first time out. (The concept was recently revamped as the Lee Renaldo Club, a good-sounding non-tube amp but by my standards ruinously expensive.) Honourable mention: Session Sessionette and Rockette.
"She opened the case of my guitar and placed six fingertips to the pick-ups beneath the strings. She made me a tea from the dried orange skins on her fire, and taught me the way of guitar voodoo." -- Jim Carroll, 'The Book Of Nods'
niftyprose

committed
committed

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:26 pm

niftyprose wrote:I totally get it about the characterful preamp-into-class-D-powerblock thing which Ibarakishi and others have mentioned here.

mine isn't class d. the isp poweramp i have is 180 W class a/b . thats one of the selling points for it, is that it isn't class d and handles distortion at higher levels well if thats you thing, which is useful to me when recording.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby niftyprose » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:38 am

Gotcha, sorry for misquote. But basic point remains, I think -- I think of combo amp or stack as 'instrument'; can't yet extend that to your kind of setup.Best, NP
"She opened the case of my guitar and placed six fingertips to the pick-ups beneath the strings. She made me a tea from the dried orange skins on her fire, and taught me the way of guitar voodoo." -- Jim Carroll, 'The Book Of Nods'
niftyprose

committed
committed

Previous

Return to General Gear