Your essential bass pedals

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Your essential bass pedals

Postby MrNovember » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:53 pm

I find the most essential bass pedal in my rig is a compressor. I've been using an EHX Black Finger because it adds some really nice character and some grit. It's always on when I'm playing. I've also been loving the Data Corruptor and Dispatch Master on bass lately.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Re: Essential bass pedals

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:59 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Maybe I’m just all jacked up from Game of Thrones but can you imagine if this thread was made about the “normal” guitar?

Hey guys what pedals do I need to play guitar? I’ll be playing music with it!

^^^^

But generally unless I'm playing a style where I know for a fact I don't need it I'll have one overdrive or fuzz. Any more than that and I'll be adding delay and one modulation pedal. That's about as far as I go unless I'm aiming for a specific thing recording
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby greyscales » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:01 pm

Boss OC-2 or something similar is essential for me. Gotta have that synth bass sound. Chorus, dirt, and filter are optional if you want to go full synth vibe.
Meatbox is cool but speaker blow-outs are a risk.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm

I use the Xerograph Deluxe a lot, now that I know how to wrangle it. But it did cost me a speaker.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dapper Bandit » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm

OC-2 style octaver is a lot of fun to play with. HM-2 is fecking nasty on bass and running an octave into it is one of my favourite sounds.
I personally prefer a very clean digital delay on bass and have been known to enjoy vibrato and filters.
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby K2000 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:26 pm

I don't like compressors, I want to be in control of subtle variations in volume and attack, because that kind of detail adds expressiveness. It depends on what type of music is being played I guess. Maybe compresors help with certain tracking pedals downstream, which I don't use.

For "essential" I only need a tuner and some type of dirt. Effects on bass are cool if the music really warrants it. If not, effects can sound cheesy ("here's my phaser sound now"). I tend to prefer a consistent bass sound, one that stays the same.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby moid » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:01 pm

Pete wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Maybe I’m just all jacked up from Game of Thrones but can you imagine if this thread was made about the “normal” guitar?

Meh, guitars aren't really essential, you can have a piano, or a sax or a organ for a main instrument, bass instruments serve a purpose. Just look at most bands that are just guitar and drums... They suck ass.

Check out Gay Witch Abortion, though-they’re killer! Real cool two piece guitar/drums band

and Lightning Bolt too! amazing free rock noise guitar and drums band!
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby moid » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Back on track, I like to use lots of reverb on bass to turn it into a sub frequency wall of sound, but then record a clean bass channel as well and blend them together in a DAW so I can slowly shift from clean bass to verbed to hell bass drone swells.
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Eivind August » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:33 am

moid wrote:
Pete wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:

Meh, guitars aren't really essential, you can have a piano, or a sax or a organ for a main instrument, bass instruments serve a purpose. Just look at most bands that are just guitar and drums... They suck ass.

Check out Gay Witch Abortion, though-they’re killer! Real cool two piece guitar/drums band

and Lightning Bolt too! amazing free rock noise guitar and drums band!

Ligthtning Bolt is bass, though. And speaking of the purpose of an instrument seems a bit snooty, though I agree that bass instruments serve an important role. You're all being replaced by modular synths anyway. :)*
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby DADGBD » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:28 am

Mini = ALWAYS

and/or
Harmonic Percolator
Rat (that I'm tempted to mod to Turbo Rat specs, to get the most of)

Though lately, I've been playing through my Traynor TS-50B annnnnnnd I've been very happy plugging straight in. So there's that...
DADGBD

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:49 am

frodog wrote:I use the Xerograph Deluxe a lot, now that I know how to wrangle it. But it did cost me a speaker.

Bro I've blown multiple speakers with effects. I feel your pain! :lol: :lol:
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:26 pm

My favorite combo was ss/bs Buzzz->TAFM->???->Sansamp or other preamp.

Buzzz set for a mids/harmonics heavy fuzz when I had to play distortion but low end wasn't important.
TAFM set for huge gated crushing fuzz for when I needed low end.
??? I would swap a new pedal in every now and then for noisy parts. DBA echo dream II, Boss BF-2, Count to Five, Wizard of Pitch. Something to get weird with.
Pre-amp - Always on tone shaper. I had a Sansamp with the three footswitchable presets, one default tone, and two others slightly modified from the default setting I used in case the sound on stage was different.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby BoatRich » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:03 pm

My bass rig has been HM-2, a boost, and a Sansamp for a minute now so I guess that? Also a chorus, because chorus is sick.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:07 pm

BoatRich wrote:chorus is sick.

Absolutely
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:29 pm