Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Postby odontophobia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:13 am

MrNovember wrote:Here's my current setup.
I just got the Roland SE-02 in today. It likely won't stay where it is; I'm thinking of picking up a laptop stand and putting it behind/above the Sub 37.
I'm currently running the Sub 37 through the RKM and Mercury 7. I love the Sub 37/Mercury 7 pair, but I'm not totally sold on the Sub 37 and RKM. Not sure why because I love the RKM :idk: I'm going to give it a few more tries, but I might end up moving the RKM to the pedal board and finding a different delay for the Sub 37.
The DX-7 and Avalanche Run pair is absolutely amazing! I'm kind of wanting to add some kind of glitch pedal to the pair, maybe a newer Count to 5 or a Stamme(n). I also want a Keystep to work with the DX-7 (and the No Coast).

Saw these posted on the gram and liked them but yeah, dude, dope setup. I would totally fuck with this. I have been eyeing some sort of non-One Moog synth over the last few weeks -- wanna do some research and some playing and narrow down my search field.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:21 pm

That setup is ridiculously cool MrNovember!!!!
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fcknoise » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:29 pm

MrNovember wrote:Image
Here's my current setup.
I just got the Roland SE-02 in today. It likely won't stay where it is; I'm thinking of picking up a laptop stand and putting it behind/above the Sub 37.
I'm currently running the Sub 37 through the RKM and Mercury 7. I love the Sub 37/Mercury 7 pair, but I'm not totally sold on the Sub 37 and RKM. Not sure why because I love the RKM :idk: I'm going to give it a few more tries, but I might end up moving the RKM to the pedal board and finding a different delay for the Sub 37.
The DX-7 and Avalanche Run pair is absolutely amazing! I'm kind of wanting to add some kind of glitch pedal to the pair, maybe a newer Count to 5 or a Stamme(n). I also want a Keystep to work with the DX-7 (and the No Coast).

Let me bring this to this page because hot damn
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Good move.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks everyone! I just ordered a bunch of Ikea organizational stuff (desktop shelf add-ons, laptop stand, and tablet risers); I'm going to organize the shit out of this even more! I'll post more pictures.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Oh, I bet DX7 > AR is just amazing.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 pm

spacelordmother wrote:Oh, I bet DX7 > AR is just amazing.

It really is! I've been messing with some patch tutorials I found on youtube and this one is pure magic with the AR:

MrNovember wrote:Thanks everyone! I just ordered a bunch of Ikea organizational stuff (desktop shelf add-ons, laptop stand, and tablet risers); I'm going to organize the shit out of this even more! I'll post more pictures.

Ikea-ified:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby dandy13 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:39 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:That setup is ridiculously cool MrNovember!!!!

Agreed! I’m just getting into synths, but i think I’d like to add a DFAM and a small modular set up to my Grandmother. Gear goals for next year.
dandy13

committed
committed

Postby Achtane » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Synth nerds, what's your best pick as far as "neato, cheap synth for messing around" goes?
I don't really have room or money for a lot of gear at the moment and I want something I can play with, without having to break out the amp 'n cords 'n pedlols 'n stuff.
I've had an Electribe EMX, Novation XioSynth and an old Yamaha PSS-470 in the past. The PSS was my favorite. I don't like MicroKORGs.
Other synthy gear I have is a Pocket Operator drum machine and a MIDI keyboard owned by Bruce Hornsby :lol:
I was thinking about the Volca FM primarily, but am totally open to other suggestions. Being able to pair the keyboard with it would be neat. It's mostly for making dumb drone/ambient stuff with some drum doot doots. I like synth pads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Volca FM’s a good choice because you can easily sync it with your pocket operator. I wasn’t a big fan of the interface on it, though. So, I’d recommend the Volca Keys because it’s fun, easy to use, and has no sound presets (I really like that for some reason).

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:25 pm

What's "cheap?"

I recently picked up an Audiothingies MicroMonsta and I like it a lot. Editing is easy and it sounds killer. Arp and a chorder modules makes it great for drones/textures. Also tiny and weighs less than a pound. :)*

For an all-in-one you can pair with your midi keyboard -- the Circuit is tough to beat. 2 6-note poly synth tracks and 4 mono sample/drum tracks. That said -- if you want to get into the synth editing (the engine is deep and amazing) you need to use a computer or iPad editor beyond using the 8 macro knobs. Has built in speakers so doesn't need amps and cords and pedlols for times you want to rock it standalone.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Achtane » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Those do seem like excellent suggestions, and the circuit looks especially interesting, but
spacelordmother wrote:What's "cheap?"

"cheap" is like "$150 or less" :lol:
So I guess more in the territory of the Volcas or some slightly obscure older synths that you could find on eBay.
Now that I checked out the Volca Keys though, I'm leaning towards that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Achtane wrote:Synth nerds, what's your best pick as far as "neato, cheap synth for messing around" goes?
I don't really have room or money for a lot of gear at the moment and I want something I can play with, without having to break out the amp 'n cords 'n pedlols 'n stuff.
I've had an Electribe EMX, Novation XioSynth and an old Yamaha PSS-470 in the past. The PSS was my favorite. I don't like MicroKORGs.
Other synthy gear I have is a Pocket Operator drum machine and a MIDI keyboard owned by Bruce Hornsby :lol:
I was thinking about the Volca FM primarily, but am totally open to other suggestions. Being able to pair the keyboard with it would be neat. It's mostly for making dumb drone/ambient stuff with some drum doot doots. I like synth pads.

Maybe that UNO synth thing? Look maybe at used novation circuit or a korg monologue or something.
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:06 pm

fcknoise wrote:
Achtane wrote:Synth nerds, what's your best pick as far as "neato, cheap synth for messing around" goes?

Maybe that UNO synth thing? Look maybe at used novation circuit or a korg monologue or something.

That Uno went on sale today at Sam Ash for $149.99

I'd try it, for sure. Looks pretty fun. I think you might get some IK Multimedia software with it too, but unsure...
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 am

Achtane wrote:Those do seem like excellent suggestions, and the circuit looks especially interesting, but
spacelordmother wrote:What's "cheap?"

"cheap" is like "$150 or less" :lol:
So I guess more in the territory of the Volcas or some slightly obscure older synths that you could find on eBay.
Now that I checked out the Volca Keys though, I'm leaning towards that.

I've heard lots of cool sounds out of the Keys, but never tried one. It's 1 voice shy of my poly limit. :D

Might be able to find a circuit for less than $200 if you keep a look out.

Uno seems rad, but as a mono you're not going to get drones and pads out of it without pedlols.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear