I am curious (strap lock)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

I am curious (strap lock)

Postby DrMabuse » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 am

I've always been a "Grolsch washers in the missionary position for the sole purpose of not dropping my guitar" kind of guy. And I should probably say up front that I'm really into leather straps. But I met this acoustic that's different from all my other guitars. An acoustic with a massive endpin jack/strap button that's way too big for my very average sized leather strap holes. And at the other end, the only option is a leather thong tied tight around the neck. More power to you if you're into that, but it just doesn't do it for the guitar or me. So after some deliberation, we've decided a couple of piercings for strap buttons is the way to go.

But here's the dilemma: I need to be able to get it on (my strap) easily, and get it off easily as well. This guitar has a case that's very monogamous. It has a good thing going with the guitar, and is not willing to accomodate the guitar AND an attached strap. Strap locks seem like a great solution for this, but I've never had them, and up until now they've been a solution for a problem that I haven't had. And it would be cool if my strap could be with my other guitars sometimes, because a good strap is hard to find.

So what kind of locks do you like to get your strap on?
DrMabuse

involved
involved

Re: I am curious (strap lock)

Postby qersty » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:47 am

ive used schallers for a long time but i dont really dig them. the nut never stays tight and the rattling annoys me (not a noise issue really just annoying). I used oversized buttons on a bass i built and they are great and work the way i want to. unlike you i dont take my straps off. I saw T-shaped strap buttons when surfing warmoth's site and that seems like a great idea. however they were made from vinyl
qersty

committed
committed

Postby DrMabuse » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:51 am

Theoretically the newer Schaller S-locks address all the faults of the previous Schallers. I had a Bavarian explain a final solution to me one time, and I have to admit they're pretty convincing. On the other hand, I don't own any German guitars (Bavarian or otherwise)..
DrMabuse

involved
involved

Postby Paul_C » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:59 am

I've never had any problems with schallers coming loose, but I do tighten them to the point it feels like they might be about to break, and then a little bit more for luck.

I attached the two strap buttons on my Yamaha APX700 with one on the neck where it attaches to the body and the second just above the jack socket (assuming the guitar is lying face-up on the bench) which had the bonus of making the guitar sit a little more comfortably too.
Paul_C

experienced
experienced

Postby Benn Roe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm using newer Schaller s-locks, and I love them. Is there room to accommodate strap buttons in the case, though? Every strap lock situation I've seen still requires buttons, often larger than standard ones.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Schallers come with a smaller diameter screw than Dunlop but Dunlop screws are soft and the heads get worn easy.
Schallers can be prone to squeaking more than Dunlop but Dunlops can have rust and corrosion issues making the ball barring stick, so either way you might have to lube. Schallers have are an outy and can poke you if your strap buttons are on the back of the instrument.
http://koorikuma.bandcamp.com/
look, it's not me, it's you, it's all you
Blackened Soul

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DrMabuse » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:07 am

Going to be drilling into virgin territory here, so screw size isn't really an issue. Case space is more about a thick leather strap under the back of the guitar and neck making it way tight to close.

Went to the store and looked at both the Schallers and the Dunlops. Realized if I'm putting this into the neck heel, both are going to be big and honkin' and likely to get in the way at some point. Ended up walking out with regular old fashioned strap buttons. Need to pick up some Grolsch before I spin the guitar behind my back like Woody Guthrie. Good info though, going to try the Schallers on an electric sometime soon. Gracias!
DrMabuse

involved
involved

Postby K2000 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 pm

I hate strap locks, so I think you made the right decision.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Blackened Soul » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:10 am

:idk: I've used them for so long I feel weird when the things aren't installed :lol:
Blackened Soul

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 pm

I've used Schaller strap locks for 20 years and cant imagine life without them. Never understood the appeal of a beer washer over a locking mechanism that can go between multiple guitars in seconds.
The Wind in the Trees - Heavy glitch-laden Baltimore noise
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Never understood the appeal of a beer washer over a locking mechanism that can go between multiple guitars in seconds.

Strap locks in my experience allow the strap to swivel around and get twisted up, or worse, swivel around while you're playing the guitar. Beer washer kind of keeps the strap in the wanted position. I also don't like how strap locks extend the strap away from the guitar. (it's very subtle difference but it bugs me.)

You can get decent straps for like 5 bucks, I'd rather have a separate strap for each instrument than unfasten/refasten a strap lock.

I hope I'm not trolling the thread, just giving my opinion/experience.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby K2000 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:53 pm

Question about Strap Locks - do they sell the posts separately? Or do you have to buy the whole set? If you want to use the same straplock for multiple guitars, you wind up buying parts that you don't need.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:46 am

K2000 wrote:Question about Strap Locks - do they sell the posts separately? Or do you have to buy the whole set? If you want to use the same straplock for multiple guitars, you wind up buying parts that you don't need.

Yes you can buy just the buttons part... But that's a new modern convenience, you use to have o buy the whole thing... :oldrant:
Blackened Soul

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:29 am

The buttons have been available separately for decades. Perhaps just not on the shelf at guitar center. I used to buy them from stewmac and allparts.
The Wind in the Trees - Heavy glitch-laden Baltimore noise
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:58 am

I’ve always used schallers. Recently bought grovers for my new guitar cause that’s all they had at the store. They fit on the schaller buttons, which is convenient. They’re a little bulkier, but the screw is larger diameter, which I like. The schallerrs always seem to get loose after a while and I end up sticking a toothpick or wood glue in there.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear