Dunlop Echoplex Delay

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Dunlop Echoplex Delay

Postby sostark » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi--sorry if this pedal already has a thread and I don't know how to sift through search results/// :erm:

Does anyone here have this? If you do, can you use an expression pedal, or does it only accept the tap tempo controller? Last question--if it does accept expression, what value do you use?

Last last question---what pedal do you use (or recommend) for self oscillating delay madness ala https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeivARsmLoI that is controllable via expression. I'm hoping this (the Dunlop Echoplex) will be the answer, but I'm all ears if not. Thanks for your help <3
sostark

interested
interested

Re: Dunlop Echoplex Delay

Postby echorec » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Looking at the product page, it doesn't seem the MXR unit works with an expression pedal, only a TT switch. The Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe has an expression pedal, but unfortunately it doesn't control the Echo Sustain pot (feedback). If you really want to mimic that kind of primitive glitch from Sharrock, you need control over the repeats/feedback.

The discontinued Alter Ego X4 has a darkly-voiced Echoplex emulator. It's fairly gritty with a vintage character. You could control the Feedback pot with an expression pedal. It requires a 25K Ohm linear pot expression pedal.

https://kb.musictribe.com/musickb/view/ ... -228330268

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories ... rans(en|en)
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:36 pm

I've owned a real echoplex and while I see the awesome advantages of tap and exp control have in a lot of cases... to me that [as wall as a small standard "stompbox" format] takes away from what made them fun and musical :idk: Dunlop should have made it bigger with a big slider on top for speed, that would have made for a much more fun device.
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 am

If you want the combined repeat/slider movement of an actual, the only thing I've found you can do it with reasonably well is a TimeBender.

Set one preset with your normal setting, toe down on the expression as max feedback/whatever minimum time you want Rock and forth to crazytown.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:53 am

rfurtkamp wrote:If you want the combined repeat/slider movement of an actual, the only thing I've found you can do it with reasonably well is a TimeBender.

Set one preset with your normal setting, toe down on the expression as max feedback/whatever minimum time you want Rock and forth to crazytown.

I can attest to this. The first tape mode really sounds like tape moving when you change speeds.
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:19 am

Yea, that tape mode is the fakeplex, the other is Space Echo fakery (which is close but missing preamp)
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:37 am

The plex has the preamp? I found both to be pretty colourless aside from the very "new" tape degredation
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 am

The plex is missing it as well (but I'm not a purist there like I am with the Space Echo) - when I want the plax thing out of it, I I want the particulars of the moving head. I can EQ the rest and add grit!
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:55 pm

I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:01 pm

qersty wrote:The plex has the preamp? I found both to be pretty colourless aside from the very "new" tape degredation

;)
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear