pedal/noisebox for blasts of bleepbloop/wubwub/wrrraaaooww

Moderator: Ghost Hip

pedal/noisebox for blasts of bleepbloop/wubwub/wrrraaaooww

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:33 pm

i remember seeing a band years ago and i think they used this box that looked like a little monster/goblin/whatever but they were basically light-reactive theremins i think? something like that would be cool.

BUT for a lot of reasons, i'm leaning to getting a rainger fx bleep/igor combo coz... well it sounds pretty math and can squeeze onto the pedalboard :drool:

but something more sort of "performative" (like a theremin) would be cool too? but it's gotta be able to sound BIG, not that weedy old school theremin sound. and also cheap?
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: pedal/noisebox for blasts of bleepbloop/wubwub/wrrraaaoo

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:59 pm

-Ring Mod + envelope filter and an expression pedal (use for heterodyne sweeps...kinda torn theremin sounds)
-FMeron (and throw different stuff at it like compressors and loopers)
-Wavefolding/shaper distortions like downer or prunes&custard
-RMA stone splitter gets some good detuned and synth sounds
-ring mod with a shortwave radio and turn the dial real fast (or make it exp controlled)
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:i remember seeing a band years ago and i think they used this box that looked like a little monster/goblin/whatever but they were basically light-reactive theremins i think?

It sounds like you're describing a Bleep Labs Thingamagoop?

MechaGodzilla wrote:but it's gotta be able to sound BIG, not that weedy old school theremin sound. and also cheap?

Therein lies the challenge. Everything "cheap" I've seen is based on timers or CMOS, which is very challenging to get sounding BIG, and anything that sounds BIG is generally not cheap.

I guess that depends on what your definition of cheap is though...

lordgalvar wrote:-RMA stone splitter gets some good detuned and synth sounds

I don't have the advantage of automation though, so try as I might to keep everything accessible to poor fools like me I feel like RMA is a far cry from cheap. Maybe value weighed against service life returns a "cheap" indicator, but it's such a loaded term... hahaha
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Versus the likes of a lot of stuff these days, I feel like you've priced a lot of value into RMA stuff, especially including the level of service.

I also glossed over the cheap part.

Feedback loop and passive ring modulator might be the cheapest way to go. Run whatever source though it, use the feedback loop to create sounds with leftover pedals (and as a carrier oscillator).
Last edited by lordgalvar on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm

crochambeau wrote:
MechaGodzilla wrote:i remember seeing a band years ago and i think they used this box that looked like a little monster/goblin/whatever but they were basically light-reactive theremins i think?

It sounds like you're describing a Bleep Labs Thingamagoop?

yeah that's really close to what I was thinking, if not the exact thing. shame they're discontinued!

crochambeau wrote:
MechaGodzilla wrote:but it's gotta be able to sound BIG, not that weedy old school theremin sound. and also cheap?

Therein lies the challenge. Everything "cheap" I've seen is based on timers or CMOS, which is very challenging to get sounding BIG, and anything that sounds BIG is generally not cheap.

I guess that depends on what your definition of cheap is though...

the rainger stuff is about the maximum I'd want to spend really. I was thinking about stuff with momentary switch-activation like the freeze or those new-ish whammy spinoffs but the rainger fuzzes seem more versatile and stranger. like I feel that one of those with the igor controller, a wah/filter/modulation and a delay and i can get pretty noisy with just my feet.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:43 pm

Your title makes it seem like you're looking for dubstep kind of effects but then you talk about a fuzz pedal so its hard to tell what you're going for. "Performative" and your title make it seem like the Source Audio Hot Hand is pretty much exactly what you're looking for though. Bass player using one in this video. Not sure what he's using it to control but it sounds pretty huge.

whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:37 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Your title makes it seem like you're looking for dubstep kind of effects but then you talk about a fuzz pedal so its hard to tell what you're going for.

haha nah just like blasts of noise. like on this track at ~37 secs

(i think he uses/used a pitchfactor which is way out of my depth)

whoismarykelly wrote:"Performative" and your title make it seem like the Source Audio Hot Hand is pretty much exactly what you're looking for though.

If they do one for midi i could just hook it up to a weird synth patch, which would be cool.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Who needs pedals when you can hold one of these against your pickups?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHhn2WtwYU

Also, I'm sure you could find tinier versions these days :trippy:

The studio version of that Wand song sounds like a few synths, even if live they have a Korg MS2000 onstage & tend to leave those breaks quiet instead - here's Cory's pedalboard ca. 2014 anyway:

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Man, Wand is so good...

Have you looked at any of the Parasit Studio stuff? Almost all of them are diy'able and he has a ton of stuff that makes weird noises. There's a company Sehat, that makes something call the RX Synth fuzz that may fit the bill as well. Pretty cheap too I think.

coupleonapkins wrote:Who needs pedals when you can hold one of these against your pickups?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHhn2WtwYU

Also, I'm sure you could find tinier versions these days :trippy:

:joy: You can definitely get little key chain/pocket versions of these :thumb: . Some times places like the dollar tree carry them.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:53 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Electro Faustus http://www.electrofaustus.com/ef111-guitardammerung/ it's $70 right now
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Jero wrote:

WANT
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:
Jero wrote:

WANT

Somebody send one of those to the guitarists of Cave In.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:05 pm

cool stuff, thx for the rec's everyone!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 am

lordgalvar wrote:Electro Faustus http://www.electrofaustus.com/ef111-guitardammerung/ it's $70 right now

I forgot about these! Seems like a great option. I want one for vocals alone...Price is right too! Some of their other stuff might also be a viable option (that Fugue State)

odontophobia wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:
Jero wrote:

WANT

Somebody send one of those to the guitarists of Cave In.

:lol: I tossed that together a couple years ago and completely forgot about it until this thread.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear