Compression For Weirdos

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Compression For Weirdos

Postby Zounds Perspex » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:27 pm

Ok, so for quite a while I’ve used a compressor as an almost-always-on type effect when I’m doing more *out* playing or playing prepared guitar - using the compressor to bring up the sound of playing behind the bridge or for the Derek Bailey thing of combining a fretted note or two with a harmonic. Currently using an SP for this, but just wondering if you dudes had found a particular compressor best for this kind of thing? Anyone else made this search? It’s not exactly the thing demos or reviews cover.

Thanks!
Maybe partying will help.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Compression For Weirdos

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 pm

I like the Fairfield Circuitry The Accountant.

I don't really like compressors though. If I do, they're squishy compressors. :idk:

I pretty much use compression to change the envelope of envelope filters & to help my harmonics jump. :snax:

Don't know if that help you at all. :lol:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby retinal orbita » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 pm

I play bass in a weird noisecore/experimental band and I love the DOD Milk Box for that kind of Derek Bailey sound. Dunno if it would work as well for guitar but it really has some more out there kind of sounds. Like I jack up the fuckin’ TREB on my bass and crank the fuckin’ udders and I really get some really odd sounds. I use a Boss CS-2 sometimes that I also love but for weirdo music the Milk Box fuckin’ RIPS.

I would highly suggest something like that, although they don’t pop up as often as you’d like.

I hope this is helpful! I highly doubt I’d ever buy another compressor again unless my Milk Box got stolen.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby shikawkee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Get a compressor with clean blend. Lots of them around. Pigtronix makes the germanium micro in a small footprint.
Orgin Effects has clean blend. So does Jackson Audio Bloom and the Thorpy Fat General. Even the Xotic mini. All great.
The Barber has clean blend....like I said, lots.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:21 pm

I've got to second the Accountant recommendation. I use it as an always on pedal on my guitar board for similar reasons. I especially like it when I switch to the lap steel as I generally play with my fingers so it helps to balance everything out.

I also use a Black Fingers on my bass board and it can definitely get some more out there sounds. I tend to crank the pre/post gain on it, which gives me massive sounds!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Jero » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:23 am

MrNovember wrote:I've got to second the Accountant recommendation. I use it as an always on pedal on my guitar board for similar reasons. I especially like it when I switch to the lap steel as I generally play with my fingers so it helps to balance everything out.

I also use a Black Fingers on my bass board and it can definitely get some more out there sounds. I tend to crank the pre/post gain on it, which gives me massive sounds!

I've ignored compressors for the most part but seeing that BF on your board the other day had me interested.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:18 am

The Rothwell Love Squeeze has an incredibly low noise floor - it's quiet even when the compression is maxed. It doesn't have a very high compression ratio, but maybe that's not an issue.

Review here, lots of reviews on the Ovnilab site (mostly aimed at bass players though):
http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/rothwell.shtml
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:44 am

Jero wrote:
MrNovember wrote:I've got to second the Accountant recommendation. I use it as an always on pedal on my guitar board for similar reasons. I especially like it when I switch to the lap steel as I generally play with my fingers so it helps to balance everything out.

I've ignored compressors for the most part but seeing that BF on your board the other day had me interested.

I actually got it on a whim in a trade awhile ago and now I can't imagine my bass board without it. Gives my bass so much more punch and a much more consistent sound. Definitely not transparent or low noise though. It brings its own character
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Zounds Perspex » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks for the suggestions, dudes. The quest shall continue. The Accountant will probably get the next shot.
Maybe partying will help.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:15 pm

The Accountant also super colors your tone. It's essentially a preamp tbh. That said I love love love the accountant. I'm also into the Warden and the MxR M76 for pedals that are not too expensive.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 pm

I've been pretty curious about the Warden. That's one I'd really like to try out
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Circuithead » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm

There's a free VST from Variety of sound called Density Mark 3.

It is pretty amazing but it's more of a bus compressor. Anyway that's how I use it for master glueing.

However I find it quite versatile and if you use multiple guitar tracks, you could use it on your guitar bus and see what happens.
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Most boutique compressors were overkill for me, but at the same time I wanted as much squish as my tiny budget allowed...

Ended up falling in love with an old little Guyatone ST-2. Not as noisy as my old CS1 or CS3, and it doesn't color my tone. Which is why I didn't go for the accountant. Also, I'm too clumsy to have a tiny pedal like that on my board.
Last edited by frigid midget on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby adamajah » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Yeah, one with a clean blend is critical imo. That way you can use it for other things besides squish... like sustain, or chime for example.
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby alexsga » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 pm

retinal orbita wrote:I play bass in a weird noisecore/experimental band and I love the DOD Milk Box for that kind of Derek Bailey sound. Dunno if it would work as well for guitar but it really has some more out there kind of sounds. Like I jack up the fuckin’ TREB on my bass and crank the fuckin’ udders and I really get some really odd sounds. I use a Boss CS-2 sometimes that I also love but for weirdo music the Milk Box fuckin’ RIPS.

I would highly suggest something like that, although they don’t pop up as often as you’d like.

I hope this is helpful! I highly doubt I’d ever buy another compressor again unless my Milk Box got stolen.

this sounds really cool. do you have clips of this bass tone?
alexsga

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to General Gear