Sunn Beta Lead hum/buzz/noise floor inquiry

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Sunn Beta Lead hum/buzz/noise floor inquiry

Postby proceedeth » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm

Sunn Beta Lead owners and fans, I'm seeking experiences and advise about this amplifier. I own one but have played no others so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Is it possible to have a cranked gain and level without the noise floor rising with the master volume to a point the amp becomes unplayable? With a cranked gain, I can lower the level to a point the amp hum diminishes to a quiet level but it will slowly creep back up with the master volume. With a maxed gain/level combo, can't get the MV past one before the noise is an issue. This amp is absurdly loud, I know, just would like to know what's normal for the amp in general. Would like to record it at some point. I know the preamp gain will introduce a ton of noise into the signal but what can be expected from the level control?

Just seeking general experiences and knowledge about this amp. Thank you!
proceedeth

interested
interested

Re: Sunn Beta Lead hum/buzz/noise floor inquiry

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:24 am

Mine is kind of noisy. Depends on the power that day. Good grounding helps a lot and keep it off circuits with stuff like computers and applicances. Also, sometimes plugging in a lamp will help (or make it worse).

I find it has a lower noise floor than a lot of Randall rg's I've used. Or my sovtek.

With the gain cranked, you are going to amplify any line noise around. Maybe try a gate in the effects loop or on your pedal board?

My thing with that amp is there is no middle volume: like 1-2 on master is cool for the house, but after 2 it gets crazy loud but kinda stalls out (like it's either loud or louder. It isn't a linear curve toward loud, just a jump at 2).

(Ahhh! Typo!)
Last edited by lordgalvar on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Benn Roe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 am

lordgalvar wrote:Also, sometimes plugging in a lamb will help (or make it worse).

Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby proceedeth » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Looking at purchasing the Furman Pst-8 to help with the power for mine and taking it from there. Thanks for the reply. Love the gnarly gain sound on mine but yeah cranked is going to cause some issues to work out!
proceedeth

interested
interested

Postby proceedeth » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 pm

Benn Roe wrote:
lordgalvar wrote:Also, sometimes plugging in a lamb will help (or make it worse).

also - got a kick out of this image this morning!
proceedeth

interested
interested

Return to General Gear