Intersound IVP clones

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Intersound IVP clones

Postby manymanyhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:05 am

Anyone tried any of these? Been trying to get in touch with Sleeping Dog FX to find out how exactly they cloned these (exact same components or approximation, etc) but they aren't returning my messages!

IVP clone

IVP Tube Sound (back part of the IVP)

IVP preamp

Big Black Preamp

Also, a different builder, but came across this:

And of course, this one:

manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Intersound IVP clones

Postby ts50b » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:13 am

I've only played the Dude Incredible but I love it. The IVP is is a perfect overdrive or EQ for every situation
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 pm

I have 4 IVP's (had a 5th but sold it last year), two Dude Incredibles (one Germanium) and am waiting on the Buzz Sound.

The DI's do a pretty good job of approximating the IVP, though not sure if they followed the IVP schematic, like Buzz Sound says or like Sleeping Dog FX says (assuming "like for like" means what it implies).

One of my favorite IVP sounds is turning the bass all the way up and getting this beautiful distortion that is almost MBV-ish. I agree, it's a flexible cleanish-to-overdrive preamp that can do a lot of different things well.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am

Those sleeping dog ones looks interesting. I would love to try and IVP, there is just massive appeal of a preamp that got cult-certified by Albini and Jerry Garcia
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Just got two of these and they are really great, like them better than any of the real or clone IVP's I've had. It's the AionFX board, just really impressed. It's how I've always wanted any of the real IVPs I've had to sound, seriously. Just wish I could get them to be even smaller but yeah, haha, very funny. The builder did a great job, opened one up and build quality is really great. Super happy I got these. :joy: :omg: :!!!:

https://musicisbad.bigcartel.com/product/ivp
https://aionfx.com/project/ivp-preamp/
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goosekevin » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:34 pm

manymanyhaha wrote:Just got two of these and they are really great, like them better than any of the real or clone IVP's I've had. It's the AionFX board, just really impressed. It's how I've always wanted any of the real IVPs I've had to sound, seriously. Just wish I could get them to be even smaller but yeah, haha, very funny. The builder did a great job, opened one up and build quality is really great. Super happy I got these. :joy: :omg: :!!!:

https://musicisbad.bigcartel.com/product/ivp
https://aionfx.com/project/ivp-preamp/

stoked you got one too!! had mine a few weeks now and its fantastic! becoming quite foundational~ to my tone
less clangy than i expected? but in a somewhat positive way and i have my driving notion still if i want to go full clang gang
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fcknoise » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:01 am

The look absolutely hectic with that EQ. Looks very interesting to say the least, although I could see myself becoming totally paralyzed with options. The dude incredible pedal is one of those that I’d love to try as well. Never played either a perc or an IVP :erm:
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:39 am

It is not really paralysis-inducing with parametric like that. It is more just a learning curve what frequencies does what
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:30 am

goosekevin wrote:stoked you got one too!! had mine a few weeks now and its fantastic! becoming quite foundational~ to my tone
less clangy than i expected? but in a somewhat positive way and i have my driving notion still if i want to go full clang gang

Funnily enough, I originally had a Driving Notion to see if it might replace an IVP. DN is definitely not a 1:1 replacement, if I recall correctly, but definitely approaches that territory in a different way. Kind of wish I still had that DN or gotten in on the Clang build. There was only one setting I liked on the DN but I remember liking it a lot.

I agree with your assessment. I have this crazy thought that it would be interesting to create a console with every channel being this circuit. :lol:

fcknoise wrote:The look absolutely hectic with that EQ. Looks very interesting to say the least, although I could see myself becoming totally paralyzed with options. The dude incredible pedal is one of those that I’d love to try as well. Never played either a perc or an IVP :erm:[/quote

]
qersty wrote:It is not really paralysis-inducing with parametric like that. It is more just a learning curve what frequencies does what

When I started messing with IVPs, I think there was some option paralysis but eventually I got to know it. There is a lot of interactivity between the gain stages which can be confusing until it clicks.

I'm interested in the AionFx small version, just out of curiosity. If anyone is ever building one, I'd pitch in!
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:36 am

Woah, double :erm:
Last edited by manymanyhaha on Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:58 pm

EAE offers the IVP half of the Dude Incredible as the Surveyor now:
https://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/surveyor

Crazy to think Dude Incredible is nearly eight years old.

Caw! Caw!
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:20 pm

I have the small aion effects one in a box somewhere untouched ready to be built ...maybe later
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:15 am

qersty wrote:I have the small aion effects one in a box somewhere untouched ready to be built ...maybe later

Well, I'd definitely pay for someone to build one, I'm interested in comparing it to the Dude Incredible, Buzz and Sleeping Dog versions.

D.o.S. wrote:EAE offers the IVP half of the Dude Incredible as the Surveyor now:
https://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/surveyor

Crazy to think Dude Incredible is nearly eight years old.

Caw! Caw!

I like the Dude Incredible IVP side a lot but it has now been supplanted by the AionFx large version. But before that, was definitely considering replacing the DI with the Surveyor since I never really used the HP side and any real estate I can save, the better. But man, this AionFx large version really is great. Large for a pedal but much smaller than a real IVP obviously so not complaining. But definitely would pursue an even smaller version of the exact circuit, if it were possible, which I'm sure it isn't haha
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:44 am

I don't really like stacking stuff into the Surveyor, or the Aion FX. I've never played an actual IVP, but those two pedals are definitely not preamps for me - much more a standalone thing.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goosekevin » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:39 am

i have quite liked stacking into the clean side of the AionFx, but find it underwhelming on the tube side. enjoying the throat locust into it but really love the mini into it especially - just soungs Big
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Gear