· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Octave fuzz fatigue

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:17 am

I love my FZ-2, never thought I'd flip it...But with today's bloated prices it kinda makes sense to cash in on the hype before they come up with a waza version :idk:

It's not like in the late 90's, when I bought mine, when the FZ-2 was one of the only good affordable beebaa/superfuzz options. These days there's no shortage of decent boutique alternatives that actually cost less than what the FZ-2 would fetch me :idk:

Gonna chew on the idea for a couple days, and probably end up hanging on to the FZ-2 just for sentimental reasons :facepalm:

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:48 pm

frigid midget wrote:I love my FZ-2, never thought I'd flip it...But with today's bloated prices it kinda makes sense to cash in on the hype before they come up with a waza version :idk:

It's not like in the late 90's, when I bought mine, when the FZ-2 was one of the only good affordable beebaa/superfuzz options. These days there's no shortage of decent boutique alternatives that actually cost less than what the FZ-2 would fetch me :idk:

Gonna chew on the idea for a couple days, and probably end up hanging on to the FZ-2 just for sentimental reasons :facepalm:

You could always build one if you do flip it https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/hypedfuzz/

but I can totally understand hanging on to it! I'm working on a bee/baa variant, and it's not like I'm going to sell my roland when it's done.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:29 pm

ooh. :snax:

Also--an octave fuzz with a half-rectified setting can provide some interesting alternative textures (though not really "octavey" in that setting).

I played a modded Fender Blender style a while back with a half-rectified setting, and really liked it, but forgot about it for a while until I recently tried a Basic Audio Foxton and totally fell in love with the sound of that particular setting. I think BA's SuperFuzz take also does that.... [edit: turns out the Foxton may be is a half-gain mode :facepalm: either way, it sounds purty aws]

I read somewhere a while back that Holowon's Furr fuzz is a locked half-rectified circuit, and I really liked the sound of that one too. I suspect some other recent fuzzes might also be half-rectified jobbers too, but don't know for sure....
Last edited by Dandolin on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Speaking of pedalpcb.com, I'm not letting this bastard drop out of view from the bottom of the previous page.... :mad:

Snufkino wrote:Jonny Octave build...

The stock footswitch wiring is different to the Jonny Octave, so I rejigged it. (Hence the two octave indicators being above the foot switches rather than closer to the knobs, which would be more intuitive.) :whateva:

Curious to know how the trimpots "should" be set. Max is always good, but I've dialed their levels down a touch so the volume knobs don't hit super-loud when you so much as look at them and the gain is trimmed back just to lessen the little bit of noise and (unwanted) nastiness.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:41 pm

I always liked the Foxx Tone Machine, though I currently only have the Danelectro copy, which also sounds good.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:47 am

Snufkino wrote:Speaking of pedalpcb.com, I'm not letting this bastard drop out of view from the bottom of the previous page.... :mad:

Snufkino wrote:Jonny Octave build...

The stock footswitch wiring is different to the Jonny Octave, so I rejigged it. (Hence the two octave indicators being above the foot switches rather than closer to the knobs, which would be more intuitive.) :whateva:

Curious to know how the trimpots "should" be set. Max is always good, but I've dialed their levels down a touch so the volume knobs don't hit super-loud when you so much as look at them and the gain is trimmed back just to lessen the little bit of noise and (unwanted) nastiness.

Nice! How is the Jonny Octave? Never tried one. I'm happy with my upper but the 2nd octave is intriguing.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:03 pm

The extra octave turns it into a tychobrae/octavia flavoured fuzz. Lots of clarity but with a hefty dose of all-out fuzz. Magical design. Still not sure if octave fuzzies are my thing, but this seems like the one to beat. I still think I'll build a foxx tone machine though, just out of curiosity.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Definitely innerested in the JonnyO....

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 am

I just added another great octave fuzz — the Basic Audio Foxton, a Tone Machine based device, with a couple of the usual Basic Audio tweaks.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Octophant.. harmony central forum design. It's sick. I built one and it's pretty nasty, the octave is based off the Escobedo Push Me Pull You I believe. I may have already said this... I forget. Anyway, it's really good
Post a reply