2019 happenings (Summer NAMM p.90)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: 2019 happenings (Summer NAMM p.90)

Postby Paul_C » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:45 am

weebles wrote:
echorec wrote:
weebles wrote:I think it looks pretty interesting, but maybe not for $400?

I wonder why it’s so much. My first thought is it’s because they licensed IRs and they’re paying significant fees for that.

Probably, but the argument I've been playing with in my head (because I am genuinely interested in this) is that it's a cab sim that I don't have to plug in to my iPad or laptop, and I don't have to have a preamp pedal for, so it *TECHNICALLY* is two amp requirements in one (cab, amp), and counts as two pedals.

When it comes to price you have to consider overheads etc. but also that "what's the highest price we can charge and still sell out each production run?" is usually involved too ;)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm

The Eccos from Keeley is finally finished. It's inspired by tape flanging, reel-to-reel recording, and delay units. (not to be confused with their earlier Binson-inspired Echoes pedal)

It's going to be available November 29th at $249 street, so it may be excluded from this year's BF specials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR1r3lla7tQ

This may be of interest to some, as Keeley says they're using the "Quad 24/56-bit Dream DSP." I don't think I've ever seen any other manufacturers disclose that they were using Dream. The FV-1 & Sharc chips are mentioned all the time, but I wonder how many other builders are already making use of them. I imagine they're talking about this manufacturer.

https://www.dream.fr/

Dream® continuously develops new dedicated DSP’s and Firmware for electronic musical instruments, Karaoke equipment, effect devices….and much more.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Expressive E (makers of the touché) are preparing to unveil a new MIDI keyboard. All signs point to this being a dynamic, poly MPE controller. Hopefully this new instrument breaks through, where others came up short.

https://www.instagram.com/expressive_e/

https://www.expressivee.com/coming-soon

This brand new instrument is the result of an exceptional partnership with @hakenaudio
Over the past few months, the Expressive E team has been discreetly on the road asking many talented musicians to test this new instrument and give their feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-GErsTJEw

I've briefly demoed the touché, and it was surprisingly robust. I expected it to be quite sensitive, but it was actually a bit resistant to touch. You'd definitely need time to get used to interacting with it and mastering the multi-directional format of it. ---That really isn't a bad thing. I'd prefer it to be slightly stiff, rather than too loose and wobbly.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Here's some more sounds. No word on the price. It's definitely more than a drone synth, but I'm quite confused by the conceptual layout. With all the little cartridge slots, does that mean you can apply an isolated effect bank to each OSC section? I love that it's not another clone or vanilla synth, but so far the overall format baffles me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W5hXuljJx0
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 pm

echorec wrote:The Eccos from Keeley is finally finished. It's inspired by tape flanging, reel-to-reel recording, and delay units. (not to be confused with their earlier Binson-inspired Echoes pedal)

It's going to be available November 29th at $249 street, so it may be excluded from this year's BF specials.

Holy shit, that's tasty. :snax:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:58 pm

So, it's basically a Strymon Deco but in a smaller enclosure and for less money and with a phrase sampler?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, kinda into it.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:00 am

echorec wrote:Expressive E (makers of the touché) are preparing to unveil a new MIDI keyboard. All signs point to this being a dynamic, poly MPE controller. Hopefully this new instrument breaks through, where others came up short.

https://www.instagram.com/expressive_e/

https://www.expressivee.com/coming-soon

This brand new instrument is the result of an exceptional partnership with @hakenaudio
Over the past few months, the Expressive E team has been discreetly on the road asking many talented musicians to test this new instrument and give their feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-GErsTJEw

My initial guess would be a keyboard with lateral vibrato, so another idea modified from the ondes Martenot. But since they partnered with Hakko, maybe there's using the tech from the continuum keyboard to get polyphonic aftertouch?
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby echorec » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:08 pm

(can't remember if an earlier demo was shared on the board or not)

https://reverb.com/item/27523339-janis- ... ting-delay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2t2BcqUpw

Skaļums – The pedals master volume

Laiks – Time for Delay

Atkārto – Feedback for Delay

Nogurt – Noise craziness

Atbild – Other Noise craziness

No blend, so it's ideal for noise, unless you want to castrate it with an FX loop. :cry:
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:06 pm

In typical what-the-fuck-Japan news, the Swinger is being reissued in limited numbers. Unfortunately for all you Swinger fans, I don't think you can buy these internationally. You may be waiting another 50 years to get your hands on one. Why reissue the Swinger now? I would have to speculate it has something to do with Naruhito's recent visitation with the sun goddess.

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Those look like a weird rebranding of Warlock guitars? Like if they did a kids brand or something?

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 pm

01010111 wrote:Those look like a weird rebranding of Warlock guitars? Like if they did a kids brand or something?

Or...

Warlock guitars are like a goth dad version of CBS' reject models. :idk:

What's really crazy is that CBS (that CBS) briefly owned Fender, Buchla, and the New York Yankees at the same time. The story goes that they controlled the rights to the 100 series for roughly one year, before deciding synthesizers weren't commercially viable. :lol: In addition to their oddly brief flirtation with the synth market, they made a lot of questionable (money-driven) decisions while they controlled Fender from '65-'85. After CBS' braintrust purchased the New York Yankees, they subsequently ran them into the ground (producing their first losing season in 40 years). When they sold the team nearly a decade later, it was at a loss of >$10 million (between operating costs & franchise devaluation). That is pathetic, when you consider by the late 90s, Steinbrenner's Yankees were worth about $1B. CBS' leadership wanted diversification, but they certainly didn't know how to mature their assets or make long-term projections.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Does anyone know the deal with the #BLACKEDXOUT thing that a ton of builders are posting? Looks like possibly a Black Friday thing with black on black graphics?
The Wind in the Trees - Heavy glitch-laden Baltimore noise
BSRI Audio on Instagram
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Does anyone know the deal with the #BLACKEDXOUT thing that a ton of builders are posting? Looks like possibly a Black Friday thing with black on black graphics?

I was thinking it was a boycott of black Friday or something but I saw Earthquaker post it and they never miss out on these type of sales. I would be very stoked if you were correct!
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby echorec » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:49 am

My initial guess was charity fundraiser. ---It seems like an odd move to combat holiday hype with hype, in the form of a mysterious social media maneuver. :idk:

(and shouldn't there be a line through the 'B', if you're opposed?)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5BBPQuJPXJ/

Here's Lone Wolf Audio's post:

If you are waiting for a deal on black friday or cyber Monday , don’t, there won’t be one. I’m standing against it this year. I will have a few LTD colorway versions of pedals , a few sold out models will be back available for order soon , but otherwise , no. Our product, is worth the asking price , and that’s what they cost. We appreciate everyone’s support as always , thanks for making what we do possible.

Considering the crunch of Jackass' tariffs, I know a lot of US companies are losing money in 2019, that they weren't losing in 2016. So I don't see this necessarily as a universal boycott of BF, so much as a matter of not being able to absorb the extra discounting, due to slimmer margins from added import costs.

...but for some companies, it may also be a matter of solidarity & wanting to avoid putting added pressure on their peers' businesses.

---Doesn't really bother me if several companies follow LWA's example. I don't want to put together a coupon directory anyway. :lol:
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:35 am

Considering that LWA is the only company to post an explanation, Im guessing they aren’t officially involved. Unless dude likes to be the one to spill the beans on something everyone else has obviously agreed to keep mum on for now.
The Wind in the Trees - Heavy glitch-laden Baltimore noise
BSRI Audio on Instagram
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear