Overdrive with HM-2 EQ

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Overdrive with HM-2 EQ

Postby popvulture » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:19 pm

omarwhite wrote:
BoatRich wrote:
popvulture wrote:This might be a fucknut comment but have you tried the HM2 at low gain? Sounds pretty good... I like it all the way down. I'm guessing you've gone there, but just had to check.

Yeah, that’s my always on bass dirt, I want a different clipping texture with the ability to get the ridiculous boost from that EQ. I’m actually getting a 250 with clipping options, 3 band HM-2 EQ, and switchable mid frequencies built right now

you should post a vid of this after you get it. very intriguing.

Seconded! Wanna hear.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WORMDIRT » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:38 am

PeteeBee wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what is so special about the HM-2 eq? I'm imagining that it has a big mid scoop, and then you can boost the bass and treble a lot? Does it have a signature sound that I should be aware of? I think Swedish chainsaw, but I've never really attributed that to the eq? :?:

This breaks is down pretty well
https://www.google.com/amp/atomiumamps.tumblr.com/post/139197356031/boss-hm-2-analysis/amp
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:05 am

I used the HM2 EQ shelves in the Source Audio Kingmaker/dirtbox of whatever name, since you can apply to any of the models, for almost anything.

"Klon HM-2" was one of my goto presets, it works very well with Fender-type topology.

I repurposed it to the Flange/Phase when I discovered you can hack the firmware to switch any One Series pedal to any of the other ones as much as you want.

If I get another at a decent price at some point, will probably put the Kingmaker back to gain and whatever the new one is to phase/flange.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:41 am

DRodriguez wrote:
BoatRich wrote:Does this exist? I know there was a no clipping HM-2 thing going around, but what about something lower gain for the clipping with that EQ section? Ideally I’d want like a DOD 250 or something. Could the Elements do it?

My other pedal is a 250 :lol:

The swede saw will boost significantly, but not dirty. It's pretty simple to add though.

Boneshaker could get you close. Goroth would probably recommend the elements for any sound

You can get ballpark with the Elements - set the mids to 1200 Hz and crank them fully, keep the bass loose, silicon clipping. It's a great sound in its own right, and it's definitely good enough for jamming some Dismember. But it's not HM-2.

PeteeBee wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what is so special about the HM-2 eq? I'm imagining that it has a big mid scoop, and then you can boost the bass and treble a lot? Does it have a signature sound that I should be aware of? I think Swedish chainsaw, but I've never really attributed that to the eq? :?:

It has two mid humps, the one already mentioned, and a second between 800-900 Hz. I can't remember exactly where. The hump at 8/900 lives in the Marshall zone, and gives it a good solid presence, and the 1200 hump gives it a real nasal quality. But of course, there is no mids knob on an HM-2, which is kind of the fun of it. Neither is it a bax. So that Sunlight Sound, you're only going to get that with both the low and the high cranked, which of course gives you lots of lows and highs as well. So you end up with a lot of low end thump, a normal strong mid sound, a characteristic nasal sound (which happens to sound great with guitars tuned to B or lower) and quite a crisp top end. So the EQ, and in particular the way it was implemented in the pedal, are crucial to the Sunlight sound.

FWIW, the MIT pedals don't behave the same as the MIJ. I went through a phase of buying HM-2s from ILF and flipping them for profit in $weden so I have A/B'd enough such that I'm relatively confident this isn't the result of individual tolerances between pedals: the MIT has more gain, less bass and a lot more top end (some of which might be from the increased gain). It's still a decent enough pedal and you can get good sounds out of it, but with the lo and hi dimed it doesn't have that strange sense of balance/fullness that the MIJ has. I tended to dial the gain back a little and back off the hi a little, which gets it back to MIJ sound, but then you lose some of the mids.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 am

I ended up settling on 880 and 1260 as my para settings on the Kingmaker's fake HM-2 section, fwiw.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:41 pm

There it is!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby WORMDIRT » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Not to Necro this thread too hard, but did you get that pedal yet boatrich?
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby BoatRich » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:19 pm

WORMDIRT wrote:Not to Necro this thread too hard, but did you get that pedal yet boatrich?

The post office is fucking awful for whatever reason and haven’t delivered it even after I rescheduled! Calling them in the morning to grab it.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:25 am

Should have gone with the swede saw my man.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Update: Got the thing, testing it tonight
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby calfzilla » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:25 pm

who built it for you, if you don't mind me asking
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 pm

calfzilla wrote:who built it for you, if you don't mind me asking

Tony Pepers of Pepers Pedals! Build quality looks really good and the clip he sent was sweet, so I’m stoked to plug it in.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:33 pm

pics?

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby DRodriguez » Mon May 13, 2019 10:18 am

Throwback but I finally got this to a place where I’m happy with it. This is an hm2 eq with some post eq clipping options. It’s running at +-9v for lots of clean headroom before the haze control. Haze adds a minor sheen and compression to the sound. It also can add lots of volume and work as a boost.

DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Mon May 13, 2019 1:21 pm

when you added a mid control did you put it between low and high or did you make high the mid and ad a higher treble control?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear