OP-1 is gone, now what? :(

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: OP-1 is gone, now what? :(

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:01 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:I don't get how you'd break an OP-1.that thing is built like a tank.

The built in mic on mine broke within 6 months and apparently a lot of people have the same problem. There was a website a few years ago that had a 100 replacement boards and I was going to grab one but they sold out before I could press PAY. But that is the only problem I've had with mine and I use it extensively.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:04 pm

looks like they are back in stock again (the connector boards)
i've heard varying things about these replacement boards tho
like poorly constructed, poor fit in comparison to the originals, stuff like that.
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/OP-1 ... F237-000-1
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:06 pm

I have mad butterfingers, so must have been super lucky not to break anything on mine, it seems. :joy:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:07 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby greyscales » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 pm

I had heard rumors of this for a while and had a feeling it would be on an indefinite hiatus since they haven't been in stock at retailers for a long time.

This might be less annoying if you could get an OP-Z right now but TE seems to be way behind on producing those too (my preorder due in October got pushed back to March without explanation). Seems like they are a little over their heads right now.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:looks like they are back in stock again (the connector boards)
i've heard varying things about these replacement boards tho
like poorly constructed, poor fit in comparison to the originals, stuff like that.
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/OP-1 ... F237-000-1

Awww, thank you so much. Had totally forgotton where I found those!
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 pm

manymanyhaha wrote:Awww, thank you so much. Had totally forgotton where I found those!

:thumb: just ordered one myself just in case something happens down the line.

greyscales wrote:I had heard rumors of this for a while and had a feeling it would be on an indefinite hiatus since they haven't been in stock at retailers for a long time.

This might be less annoying if you could get an OP-Z right now but TE seems to be way behind on producing those too (my preorder due in October got pushed back to March without explanation). Seems like they are a little over their heads right now.

sucks, where did u preorder from?
i got in on my preorder in late sept/early october, received the device in november. so its not like i was like super early on the list or whatever.
got 10% off to boot (which is what pushed me to preorder in the first place, i very much dislike preorders generally speaking)
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby greyscales » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Preordered from Sweetwater.

My rep definitely implied that there was a lack of communication why from TE.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 pm

ah sweetwater always seems to be later than other retailers on their preorders.
hope u get yours before march
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:27 am

This is what I got from SW rep about 30 minutes after he placed the order for me:

I did need to make you aware of something. It was just brought to my attention no less than an hour ago that Teenage Engineering just got in touch with Sweetwater and let us know that their production process is facing a long term pause. We've even had to remove the OP1 from our website because of this. Your order could be affected by this. I know right now we're looking at them to come in early January but because of this new development with Teenage Engineering, there is no way for me to guarantee this to you. I'm going to do all that I can to take care of you but this recent news is out of my hands. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

:erm:

And to be frank, not sure I want to get that thing anymore if it's actually going to be discontinued (meaning no more support, upgrades, fixes, etc.)
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby boneslygrifter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:02 am

I can see there being an OP-2 at some point. The OP-1 was kind of their flagship/big splash, it had some issues (build quality, lack of certain features lots of people wanted, production issues). But it was constantly sold out despite those. I hope that TE gets their production and order fulfillment issues worked out and potentially works on a version 2 with some upgrades (velo-sensitive keys, for example). Although I'm kicking myself for not buying one when I worked at The Center of Guitars and they were actually in stock for about a week (coulda gotten a great discount too).
My music:

https://hetchetchy-tx.bandcamp.com/releases Side project with my best friend, we wrote and recorded this in two days.

https://mummertheband.com/releases Same friend on drums with another on guitars/lead vocals
boneslygrifter

committed
committed

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Better this than taking everyone’s moneys and ghosting like so many others!

Sad to see it go, but there will be something else
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm

And to be frank, not sure I want to get that thing anymore if it's actually going to be discontinued (meaning no more support, upgrades, fixes, etc.)
[/quote] thats where im at too, you have more than a few things break in a yr and its like, im done. lol
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:46 am

Not like anyone cares but I just ordered an Octatrack. fuck this hipster shit. (jk, OP-1 seems really cool and hope Sweetwater ships mine eventually :( )
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:13 am

lordgalvar wrote:Synthstorm deluge maybe?

this

From my brief time with the Synthstrom, it’s much easier to use and has better features than anything else for making songs/beats/sequences/songs/whatever on the go or at home.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear