OD w/ huge headroom

Moderator: Ghost Hip

OD w/ huge headroom

Postby Dowi » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:21 am

Hey, it's been waaaaaay too long since my last post here (been lurking occasionally :facepalm: ), i had a daughter and disconnected from the gear world for like 1 year or more..

Anyway: i need a low-gain overdrive with tons of headroom and top mounted jacks. Right now i'm using an old OCD version powered 18v and i'm totally good with it, but i'm kinda reassembling all of my board and i need to save precious space.. Any suggestions of similar stuff?

i've tried all kinds of OD but never found something similar with such little/no compression.

Thanks!
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: OD w/ huge headroom

Postby frigid midget » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:07 am

I've got zero experience with 'em myself, but I would think that there should be something that fits yer descrption in the Earthquaker Devices catalogue.
Fwiw, they all have top mounted jacks. Westwood might be a good example, though I don't think it's quit as gainy as the OCD.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:18 am

What about something like the EAE µ Blaster or Wren and Cuff Two Five Drive-Boost? (Although, the Wren and Cuff doesn't have the top jacks. If you really want one, maybe they'd build you a custom one with top jacks?) :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby sylnau » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:58 am

Dr. Scientist The Elements also work with 18v.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 am

frigid midget wrote:I've got zero experience with 'em myself, but I would think that there should be something that fits yer descrption in the Earthquaker Devices catalogue.
Fwiw, they all have top mounted jacks. Westwood might be a good example, though I don't think it's quit as gainy as the OCD.

Yeah, last week was checking the Dunes, in particular the "None" clipping voice could be what i need. I'd love to hear some impression from somebody who has/had it.
I heard some clips of the Westwood but it didn't impress me.

Chankgeez wrote:What about something like the EAE µ Blaster or Wren and Cuff Two Five Drive-Boost? (Although, the Wren and Cuff doesn't have the top jacks. If you really want one, maybe they'd build you a custom one with top jacks?) :idk:

Didn't know about the µ Blaster, tonight i'm checking it out, thanks!

sylnau wrote:Dr. Scientist The Elements also work with 18v.

Tried it in the past but didn't fit in my setup at the time, maybe i should check it again. :thumb:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sylnau » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Get someone to rehouse an OCD for you in a top mounted enclosure.

Maybe Acid Splash (jwar).
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am

Dunes seems like the option you're after (though I don't have one currently - only a Palisades, long ago), but I wonder if the 18V OCD is more applicable to the headroom issue overall, which would lead me to recommend the Seymour Duncan 805 (a klon variant, however), which has tops jacks & can be run at 18V, and is still relatively cheaper than a Bondi, maybe even the EQD :snax:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:04 pm

You could try a lpb-1. Get someone to build you an ocd with a 9v\18v toggle, I'll throw my hat into the ring. Hell, you could throw both in one box
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Don't those drives with nanotechnology have less compression naturally? I can't remember the brand that uses them (besides the Dr. Scientist Heisenberg which is a good choice) but they sound cool.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:29 pm

eqd gray channel - both sides have a high headroom option with the toggles in the middle
hudson broadcast - can run it anywhere from 9-24v, trimpots inside to set the max gain amount for both modes. also a gnarly fuzz in hi gain mode.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby systemofameow » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 pm

Dunwich DA120 goes to 18 volts and can be pretty clean or an all out gain monster. The separate knobs for boost, drive, and gain make it pretty versatile.
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby Dowi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:17 am

Thanks for the amount of suggestions guys. :thumb:
Yesterday i've checked a bunch of demos of those. So far i've excluded Bondi effects and the Broadcast for the big size (too bad because the Broadcast really sounded good to my ears).
From what i heard the Gray Channel could be good, but i fear it cuts off some frequencies exactly where i need to.. there's a shop here in town that should have it in stock, i'm going to give it a try.

DRodriguez wrote:You could try a lpb-1. Get someone to build you an ocd with a 9v\18v toggle, I'll throw my hat into the ring. Hell, you could throw both in one box

sylnau wrote:Get someone to rehouse an OCD for you in a top mounted enclosure.

Maybe Acid Splash (jwar).

Rehousing was my first thought, got to find somebody who does it here.
Too bad i'm in Europe and Jwar is on the other side of the ocean.
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:19 am

The no diodes setting on the Gray Channel is huge sounding, not to mention a shit ton louder than any of the other diode settings on the pedal—so much that switching to the setting from another can be a bit dangerous for your amp if you've got the level set too high.

I just picked mine up the other day after not playing it for quite a while, and was quickly reminded that it's a damn fine pedal.

Edit: oh and it's probably the same size as the Broadcast, just a little more vertically oriented. :idk:
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:25 am

Also, just had to ask...Ever try an harmonic percolator? There's plenty of good clones out there these days, I'm sure there's at least one with top mounted jacks and a diode switch. It's surprisingly good at medium gain overdrive tasks. Doesn't give you the Marshall-y high gain crunch of the OCD though. For that sort of thing, I'm using a DOD Gunslinger (no top jacks).
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:34 am

sylnau wrote:Dr. Scientist The Elements also work with 18v.

Yep. On 9V it has lots of headroom. On 18 it has super lots. Not even jwar with his insane output basses can defeat it.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to General Gear